Weaver vs. Vortex opinions?

A place to discuss Hunting equipment and other related products.
Hiriamavi

Weaver vs. Vortex opinions?

Post by Hiriamavi »

I've come into possession of a 1963 Marlin 336 R.C. in .30-.30 with a Weaver 63A base mount but no scope. I'm looking for opinions on the Weaver Classic V 2.5-7x32 and the Vortex 2-7x35 Diamondback scopes https://tacticsfaq.com/vortex-crossfire-vs-diamondback/ . While I know everyone has their favorite brands, these are the ONLY two scopes I'm looking for input on. So if you have first hand experience with either of these scopes, I would greatly appreciate any knowledge you would be willing to share. I see no need to replace the Weaver base but I am open to suggestions on brands and heights of rings for mounting either of these scopes. Thanks for any info!
Last edited by Hiriamavi on January 14th, 2019, 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Weaver vs. Vortex opinions?

Post by howl »

Japanese made Weavers are nicer scopes. The last one I got was made in Japan, but things change.

Ring height depends on you. I used to have all my scopes as low as possible, but have had to move to medium height over the past few years to get a good sight picture. This is due to middle-aged eyes and glasses. With the drop in that Marlin stock, you probably will still want low rings. Gotta play with it and see.

I like Burris Zee rings. The Signature version is even better, but the lowest is medium.

I've been running the rimfire version of that scope with regular Zee rings on Weaver bases the past few years. Recoil is nothing, but it gets beat around the woods pretty bad hunting several days per week for all of our sq. season. I have had to tighten the action screws on the rifle, but nothing to do with the scope or mount.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I can't speak on that exact Vortex scope, but I have the Diamondback binos and love them. I even bought my two boys a pair when Cabela's had them on their black Friday sale. I did just buy a new Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40 scope and put it on a new rifle. I was only able to hunt with it a few days, but it is crystal clear. I am having a tad bit of a problem with reflection I guess. It's kinda hard to explain, but Vortex understood what I was saying when I emailed them and they assisted me on how to correct it. I just put my rifle away for the year, but I'm looking forward to deer season 2019 to really evaluate it. I can't speak on the Weaver scope.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Haven't used a weaver scope in a long time. Warranty is forever on the Vortex and they are decent optics for the money
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re-des ... matte.html

Much better scope for the same price
KyScott

Post by KyScott »

I haven't used any of the newer weaver but the older scopes where very nice. I have had a lot of experience with Vortex in the Crossfire, Diamondback and Viper lines. Glass is above average on the Vortex scopes unless you jump to Razor and LH then its exceptional. The Diamondback should be a very clear little scope with it being 2-7x35. Vortex warrant is bombproof literally. If anything happens to that scope they will send you another.

As far as rings on a 30-30. I would probably go with see through just in case you need the sights. Take care!

Return to “Equipment/Product Reviews”