How long can you take it?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

There are many ways to skin a cat, some folks like to be on the move, some like to sit in a likely spot for "long" periods..

I struggle to set in one spot for too long.. But with that said there are usually a couple times during the day, where I will get to a likely spot, set up and cold call for a while.. Usually I kick off my boots to let my socks dry and call for 20-30 minutes.. Anything longer than that and I am going nuts.. Sometimes in the evening out west I will set longer in a likely spot, but mainly due to exhaustion.

So what say the Gobbler Nation faithful.. How long can you stand to sit and cold call in a likely spot when not hearing gobbles?
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

20 mins at most for me..Any longer then that I get board or fall asleep.
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: How long can you take it?

Post by redarrow »

The farm I hunt doesn't lend itself to a lot of movement.Mostly cropland or flooded marshland. Very little woods.I generally set up in a blind on the edge of the field. If I'm hunting up north near my place I probably set 20 minutes or so before moving if the birds ain't talking.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

The smaller the farm, the longer I can sit. 1-2 hours is common for me.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I try to force myself to sit longer than I really want to. An hour or so is about my breaking point. If I got up and moved every time I felt like it, I'd run out of property to hunt before lunch.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

If nothing is going on and I go to a spot that I know they should be close by then I sit down and soft call for at least an hour. Usually when I say it is time to leave I wait 15 more minutes. Before I started doing that I would get up and leave when I go the notion and a few times I had a bird gobbling right there not 10 minutes after I moved. A few times I forgot something and went back to get it and there was a bird coming. When blind calling like that I usually call every 10 minutes or so. After my last call to leave I always wait 15-20 minutes before I make a move. It has helped with a few birds I would have left behind. Not saying it is 100% or you still will not miss a bird, but I have I killed some I would not have and spooked even less cause I could not see them from where I was seated.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

1.5 hours motionless other than calling. When I decide he's coming and put the call down, I usually give him 45 min or more. Part of this is because I'm scared to get aggressive, risking being shot, on the public land I hunt and part of it comes from having had to target older birds that Box Call Larry trained before I found them.
honker22

Post by honker22 »

In the afternoon, maybe an hour before I move a little. If I take a nap, I can sit in 1 spot until I wake up
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

At least an hour and if I like the spot 2 or 3 Hours.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

about 30 mins and im gone.
El Sicario
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

4 to 5 hours OR the next full meal time.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Adamj1218

Post by Adamj1218 »

30-45 min tops. I have caught myself waiting longer if I know there is good sign i.e. tracts, droppings, frequent sightings. Sometimes a good nap is in the mix with a good cool morning. :D
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Depends sometimes. If this is an area that I know I should be hearing or seeing turkeys, I have sat for 3-4 hours. I don't like to do it but I have and I will. Normally I don't have to sit that long, but I try to sit for 2 hours. I don't always make it but I don't leave after a few series of calls. I won't get up and leave a spot 15 min after callig either. After my last series of calls I try to sit at least an hour. And there had been times mid morning where I go to an area and just sit and listen, and don't call. Usually these times I try to catch up in my zzzzz!!
Pass the biscuits!!
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Depends on how likely a spot. I have set up hours before they come back to roost to get a chance. The smaller the property the longer I am forced to wait. If land is no object, 15-25 min then move on but most time if the land is large enough, I will keep moving till I strike one up. If no avail, I sit longer as the day moves on.
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

Fall/winter hunts I have set up on Long beard breaks for hours. :sleepy2: Most spring hunts it all depends if I get a response or just blind calling if I know turkeys are in the area and they are not that talkative or have been hunted hard. On average an hour.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:There are many ways to skin a cat, some folks like to be on the move, some like to sit in a likely spot for "long" periods..

I struggle to set in one spot for too long.. But with that said there are usually a couple times during the day, where I will get to a likely spot, set up and cold call for a while.. Usually I kick off my boots to let my socks dry and call for 20-30 minutes.. Anything longer than that and I am going nuts.. Sometimes in the evening out west I will set longer in a likely spot, but mainly due to exhaustion.

So what say the Gobbler Nation faithful.. How long can you stand to sit and cold call in a likely spot when not hearing gobbles?
I don't sit much if I have room to crawl and call. If room or timing dictates it, I'll sit for a couple hours if I have good reason to.
Splittoe

Post by Splittoe »

30-40 min max with no responses or action. But if I'm in a good spot and it's later in the day I may only move 20-30 yards, but I got to get up and move a little.
kygobbler

Post by kygobbler »

The places I hunt are not very big so its not uncommon for me to sit for a few hours in one spot. The longest time I ever sat was on the back side of 100 acre row crop field. I settled in at 4:30 am and finally bagged my bird around 5-6 pm. Yes it was a long day but I did learn something from that hunt and that is you can't have a pizza delivered to you in the middle no where with no address. :lol: :lol:
hobbes

Post by hobbes »

Unless I'm sleeping 30 minutes is about it for me. I do have one private block of timber I hunt back home in the riverbottoms that I know there are always some turkeys in where I've set for a couple hours.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Simply put,...I HATE sitting and waiting,...and I LOVE moving and prospecting for an active gobbler. That is what turkey hunting is all about for me. Having said that, I am smart enough to realize that there are places and times where my preferred method is not going to work. If I become resigned to that fact, I will sit my butt down in one spot for as long as it takes,....but I will HATE every second of it,...until I pull the trigger.... :D
Roy

Post by Roy »

A couple to few hours usually. Personally ive found that when I walk around it usually ends up with me scaring something
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

It depends a lot on where I am, what the weather is like, and how big the property is. My hunting club is over 16,000 AC and I rarely sit in a spot and cold call unless its raining. If its raining I will sit and cold call for a few hours.
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

it depends on my back, lol...usually an hour or so then off to the next spot
Hawgnman

Post by Hawgnman »

45-60 minutes, but longer in an area know to hold turkeys
Grace Happens

Jim /*
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

All day is common for me, especially when I know the area. Most of the areas I hunt are not run and gun areas due to lack of cover. I shoot birds all different times, because they know where I am at, and eventually they come in. My kill success really jumped up, when I learned to stay in place, and call every 30-45 minutes. I had great success from 10-10:30, when others go to a run and get busted approach. Birds finish with strut Hens and go looking for action some where else. I bought a Gobbler Lounger, kick back and relax with my Kindle. Usually I know Hunters that are hunting when I am, and text them to see how it is going. I never get bored, because I just love to be outside, and observing the wild life.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Hunt Strategies”