How long can you take it?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Roy

Re: How long can you take it?

Post by Roy »

Slateplayer wrote: February 28th, 2018, 11:24 am I agree with Roy. If you're where turkeys are? latch yo butt to th ground and wait!!!
if you are moving in turkey woods, you are bumping wildlife you don't even see!!!!
being patient and still equals dead turkey.
I still think the same. If Im roaming the woods I really think the game is putting an eye on me way before im putting one on them
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

GobbleNut wrote: March 5th, 2015, 10:10 am Simply put,...I HATE sitting and waiting,...and I LOVE moving and prospecting for an active gobbler. That is what turkey hunting is all about for me. Having said that, I am smart enough to realize that there are places and times where my preferred method is not going to work. If I become resigned to that fact, I will sit my butt down in one spot for as long as it takes,....but I will HATE every second of it,...until I pull the trigger.... :D
This
Uncle Nicky

Post by Uncle Nicky »

It really depends. If I know the area and I'm confident birds are around or will be, I can sit 2 or 3 hours. If I have them patterened, and I can get in a chair, probably longer. But if I'm just roaming a new place, I'll give it about an hour and move on.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

On the two horse farms I hunt, I'm kind of forced to hold tight to the same area for longer periods of time. There's a lot of pasture and not much woods to move around in. Most gobblers don't roost on those properties, so you have to coax 'em to come looking. I've killed six gobblers sitting at the base of the same tree in 5 years there. In the big woods I hunt, I generally don't stay in one place for more than an hour, unless there's a bird circling me or multiple birds in the area. Can't move on one for fear of busting the other. That doesn't happen much though.

Jim
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I’ll sit for awhile. I’m not much into hunting the evenings. I will but not much. I’ll sit from 1/2hr before daylight to bout 10 or so. Longest I have sat is from 1/2 hr before daylight to 3:30 and walked out with bird. That was a long sit.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

:LMAO: Depending on how much area you have on the property to hunt :banghead:

Sometimes I have to sit :roll: and sometimes I can move around lot :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

An hour or more if I struck one up and think there's any reasonable chance he's coming. But for cold calling, not more than a half hour.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
Dtrkyman

Post by Dtrkyman »

Always different, but half the birds I’ve shot in recent years were from my initial set in the morning, and many of those birds were shot after 9am and one at 11:30 last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

My preferred style is to take my big pop-up blind and my flock of 7 decoys (1 strutter, of course) and put them in a big chufa plot. I would stay out there from daylight till dark, but I never have to.
What I do is...I take a cot with me and set it up inside the blind. I just lay there and relax, drink beer and eat sammiches. All this time, I have a fishing line tied to my strutter and attached to my little pinky toe. When a bird comes in and jumps on the decoy, I get a little tug on the pinky toe. Then just sit up and shoot him. Easy-Peasy.
Ultimate Predator
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

:LMAO: The new turkey hunters have taught you well! That's the way you do it!,...and play the guitar on your MTV... :D

Return to “Hunt Strategies”