What to do

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

What to do

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

Well since Ice is lacking in the turkey talk I'll do it.

You have a bird that has been playing a game with you for 2 days..On day 3 you have your mind made up to sneak in tight,tight.

While your on your way in a bird gobbles 800-1000 yards away..Not bird 1....now bird 2 is in a place you know very very well...Bird 2 is hammering while bird 1 hasn't gobbled...keep in mind bird 1 has had hens with him for two days.

What do you do?
Ditch your plans to go after bird 1 but you know about where he is,and you know how he has went for the past two days.

Or

Go after bird 2 that is gobbling non stop ?
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
jakesdad

Re: What to do

Post by jakesdad »

I stay the course with my original plan on bird #1.If he pitches down and is henned up,I let him walk(if I cant get him to come or the hens to bring him to me).Reposition on to bird #2.If he's hot and heavy on the roost he may be alone lookin for love..............fast.If he does meet up with a hen or two before I get to him,I wait as close to where I thought he roosted and call mid morning like I'm selling my goods on the street corners of Turkeyville.Pretty decent chance bird #2 takes a ride in the truck.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Assuming both are where you can hunt and you don't think bird # 2 is gobbling because some one is working him - I would opt for bird # 2. From your description, sounds like he may be urgently looking company and he may actually be bird #1 that somehow (coyote, bobcat, eagle, person ????) got separated from his hens and trying to reassemble the group. If things don't work out with Bird # 2, I would later come back and slip in where I thought bird # 1 was hanging out with his ladies and promise him things that would make a professional call girl blush. When he showed up to collect, I would offer him a ride in the truck....... A very good turkey hunter told me many years ago " It aint real smart to leave a gobbling turkey to go looking a non-gobbling turkey". I think that could be applied here.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

If I knew before hand which was bigger. Otherwise, I'd pick the closest one first. Let Wifie smoke him, then go after the other. :thumbup:
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

The one that is roosted high and lonesome, gobbling his fool head off is the one I'm looking for when I step out the jeep. Old ornery suckers are plan B if I don't hear one.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Im going after the talker.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

I'd go after bird two if he's hot.....bird two could also be bird one that has been seperated from his hen's and roosting in a different area. If bird two dies, than bird one would get hunted the next morning. I like hunting a target bird, but I don't name them are waste to much time on them, especially if I have not seen him. Long story short. I wasted nine mornings once on a bird that in my mind was a monster of a bird I had seen in the area two weeks before. On the ninth morning I finally saw the bird with the one hen he was content with and he was a jake... :banghead: and I'm sure that's the reason for his one gobble a morning.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Stick with original plan. Then adjust on the other bird as necessary. If no success, then I would get back to the roost area and se what unfolds. If you can intercept him great, if not then you may have a good chance of knowing where he roosted.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

I'm going after the loudmouth. I'll deal with the other guy tomorrow.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Stick with the first bird. Stay with him a while to see what happens. Hopefully I kill him and then I head to the are 2 was gobbling, since I know the area I should have a good idea where he is or at least where to start.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I go for the gobbling bird. We get one bird in Mi. I might eat tag soup if I continue going after the henned up one.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

bird #2 without a doubt.
El Sicario
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I'd get back on my side of the property line, cause I know if I hear two on the wrong property.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Dance with them that brung ya.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
Adamj1218

Post by Adamj1218 »

I would go after bird #2. If I ended up striking out and could not get the bird to work, I would try and position myself in the area I knew bird #1 was headed.
Adamj1218

Post by Adamj1218 »

KPcalls wrote:I'd go after bird two if he's hot.....bird two could also be bird one that has been seperated from his hen's and roosting in a different area. If bird two dies, than bird one would get hunted the next morning. I like hunting a target bird, but I don't name them are waste to much time on them, especially if I have not seen him. Long story short. I wasted nine mornings once on a bird that in my mind was a monster of a bird I had seen in the area two weeks before. On the ninth morning I finally saw the bird with the one hen he was content with and he was a jake... :banghead: and I'm sure that's the reason for his one gobble a morning.
I agree. He could be bird #1 that has been separated from his hen's. I like going for a target bird as well but if one is hot and within distance, he gets my vote.
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

Most of what others said about going after bird 2.

Go after bird 2. Then if that falls apart and bird 1 you know has been hennaed up go back after bird 1 in hopes that hens may have ditched him.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

WV Ridge Reaper wrote:Well since Ice is lacking in the turkey talk I'll do it.

You have a bird that has been playing a game with you for 2 days..On day 3 you have your mind made up to sneak in tight,tight.

While your on your way in a bird gobbles 800-1000 yards away..Not bird 1....now bird 2 is in a place you know very very well...Bird 2 is hammering while bird 1 hasn't gobbled...keep in mind bird 1 has had hens with him for two days.

What do you do?
Ditch your plans to go after bird 1 but you know about where he is,and you know how he has went for the past two days.

Or

Go after bird 2 that is gobbling non stop ?
Bird 2 is in trouble.

Bird 1 will live one more day.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I'd go after the original bird. He seems the toughest so that's the one I want!!
Pass the biscuits!!
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

hookedspur wrote:Im going after the talker.
:thumbup:
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

No doubt bird 2. Turkey hunting (to me) is all about the gobble. If he didn't gobble, wouldn't be near as addicting. Im going to the bird acting a fool that morning. Bird 1 will get crazy eventually.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

If I know the area, I'm going for the hot bird.
If I don't know what I may encounter, I'm more likely to with my original plan.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Bird 2.
Good chance he is the sub dominant, and will hopefully walk right down the gun barrel.
He may be separated from hens for a good reason.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”