Public Land Late Season

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Public Land Late Season

Post by Turkey Talker »

Walk in woods.
8 miles in.
No trucks around.
Find a lot of turk tracks=no human tracks
Mid morning. 930 am.
Sit down near sign.
Start cutting agressively on crystal call.
Switch it up with diaphragm calls once bird responds or shows up.
I have killed many birds this way.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Public Land Late Season

Post by redarrow »

Public land with no human tracks,you ain't hunting Michigan. You lucky rascal.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

redarrow wrote:Public land with no human tracks,you ain't hunting Michigan. You lucky rascal.
8 miles in. Most of the yahoo's will not walk past the 3 mile mark. Let alone the Jerky's I have seen parked along side the road with a blind set up. More than likely through, the hell swamps down here, after 8 miles, you will see no human tracks. People are usually not that hard up for a kill.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Michigan = golf course. Compared to 5 ft deep wading water with gators and cotton mouths in it.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

We got a snake or two,nothing to worry bout though. Couple swamp,buy nothing like you boys got.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Hahaha I'm just kidding bud. Every place has its own unique terrian issues
Cove

Post by Cove »

HaHa, 8 miles in huh?
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Cove wrote:HaHa, 8 miles in huh?
8 miles in = 8 miles in the woods or swamp. not too many dingleberries floating around in there.
Cove

Post by Cove »

8 miles, that's a long way. . . . . especially through a swamp. And knowing you gotta walk out too, that's a 16 mile day if you just walk in and turn around.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Its good for the body
Cove

Post by Cove »

It can be a challenge to find somewhere to be able to go 8 miles too.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

Sometimes 2 miles can feel like 8. I've hunted Idaho elk for several years and there is a place I like to be when it gets daylight. It takes a long time to get there so I start early. I decided I wanted to get a GPS reading one day so I took it and marked a few places incase I got a Bull down and needed help from my buddies. I was surprised to see that it was only a little over 2 miles from my quad as a crow flies. Now mind you there isn't a flat spot anywhere gettin there. It's either up or down and it feels like it's mostly up, both ways. I usually don't have many folks around me when I'm there. I've only seen 1 guy and he showed up 2 hours after daylight.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
Cove

Post by Cove »

Yeah, that thin air doesn't help either.

I think if everyone set a trip log on a gps and kept it on the entire time they were walking they'd be surprised. I've walked for what seemed like 20 miles to get back to the truck to find it was more along the lines of 6 and I've done the opposite as well, it often time's depends on the terrian. Flatland helps alot when covering ground as long as it's not through water or sugar sand. I know in south florida we put in llloooonnngg days and we average around 9 to 11 miles round trip, did have a 16 mile day one time as well down there. This was on a year when the water was low and the roads were hard. When the water is up, you have that plus the muck to deal with. . . . 16 miles would be impossible.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Cove wrote:Yeah, that thin air doesn't help either.

I think if everyone set a trip log on a gps and kept it on the entire time they were walking they'd be surprised. I've walked for what seemed like 20 miles to get back to the truck to find it was more along the lines of 6 and I've done the opposite as well, it often time's depends on the terrian. Flatland helps alot when covering ground as long as it's not through water or sugar sand. I know in south florida we put in llloooonnngg days and we average around 9 to 11 miles round trip, did have a 16 mile day one time as well down there. This was on a year when the water was low and the roads were hard. When the water is up, you have that plus the muck to deal with. . . . 16 miles would be impossible.
google earth my friend.
i get to the woods at 4am. to 5am and start walking or riding the ole mountain bike (when terrain permits) sun comes up at 7am.
i always know my distance cause i hate not planning ahead.
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

Turkey Talker wrote:

google earth my friend.
i get to the woods at 4am. to 5am and start walking or riding the ole mountain bike (when terrain permits) sun comes up at 7am.
We should hunt together this year see who can keep up with who ;)
Double beard guide service LLC
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I've hunted with both of you and neither could stay up with this 55 years of lean mean turkey killing machine.
If I hadn't been there on that 15 mile death march in Green Swamp. Turkey Talker would have been eaten by a Gator or burned up in a controlled burn. And Cont520 your boat goes anywhere so I know you don't have to walk. :D
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Gobbler wrote:I've hunted with both of you and neither could stay up with this 55 years of lean mean turkey killing machine.
If I hadn't been there on that 15 mile death march in Green Swamp. Turkey Talker would have been eaten by a Gator or burned up in a controlled burn. And Cont520 your boat goes anywhere so I know you don't have to walk. :D
Doug did save my life that day....hahahaha!! TRUE STORY!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Cont520 wrote:
Turkey Talker wrote:

google earth my friend.
We should hunt together this year see who can keep up with who ;)
I think it would be fun!
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I love hunting game lands. I do not mind walking either. Most guys on our mountain game lands can not make it much over a mile off the road. I go in about 3 miles in and find some good turkey hunting. I can not wait to get down to Florida this year.
Turkey Talker wrote:
redarrow wrote:Public land with no human tracks,you ain't hunting Michigan. You lucky rascal.
8 miles in. Most of the yahoo's will not walk past the 3 mile mark. Let alone the Jerky's I have seen parked along side the road with a blind set up. More than likely through, the hell swamps down here, after 8 miles, you will see no human tracks. People are usually not that hard up for a kill.
Mike
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

We should hunt together this year see who can keep up with who ;)[/quote]

I think it would be fun![/quote]

So do I, Doug and I have hunted together a little bit he is a damn good turkey hunter. TT I look forward to possibly hunting with you and learning some of your knowledge of our beloved turkey woods.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Cont520 wrote:We should hunt together this year see who can keep up with who ;)
I think it would be fun![/quote]

So do I, Doug and I have hunted together a little bit he is a damn good turkey hunter. TT I look forward to possibly hunting with you and learning some of your knowledge of our beloved turkey woods.[/quote]

sounds good! i will pm u my number to set up something for killing these prick florida birds!
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

Got it I will be out of town this weekend headed to the perry lease to scout some of those big spurred birds then coming home sunday to do the same

Return to “Hunt Strategies”