Ambush or calling

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
GobbleNut

Re: Ambush or calling

Post by GobbleNut »

Calling one in is good,...but sometimes killing one that won't come to my calling is even better! ...Vengeance can, at times, be so sweet!
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

GobbleNut wrote:Calling one in is good,...but sometimes killing one that won't come to my calling is even better! ...Vengeance can, at times, be so sweet!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

In 33 years of turkey hunting I've called in every turkey I ever killed. Now, some of that calling was nothing more than purrs, clucks, or leaf scratching, but he probably wouldn't have come around without it. Some of them would have probably walked in range if I never called in the first place, though I'm sure calling helped seal the deal. I've had more than I care to say go the other way from my calling too. I've tried to put the sneak on a few, but the places I tried that were thick enough that I got busted before I got a good look at the gobbler. It was better to try to go around & get ahead of him, then hope he'd get interested enough to come my way.

Most properties I hunt are small horse farms that require figuring out where they like to strut, loaf around, or pass through. I almost never get to set up under a roost tree because they often roost on neighboring properties. It takes patience and good calling to tag birds from those areas. Where I hunt, there's right much pressure from too many know-nots who love with the sound of their own calls. It helps to have good horse trails to get around on quickly & quietly that the neighboring properties don't have.

Jim
milkman

Post by milkman »

"Call him up,crawl up on him or bushwack him I'm going to kill that turkey " Ben Rogers Lee

Return to “Hunt Strategies”