Scenario EDITED

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Roy

Scenario EDITED

Post by Roy »

I asked this previously on OG, but thought again would be ok.

So your out one morning at the beginning of the season. You have two gobblers gobbling and they are about 300 yards away or so. But, they are 300 yards away from each other. So, they are split between you. They are both the same distance from you and the surrounding terrain is flat with hardwoods. No fields (SORRY JAY :mrgreen: ). The only difference is that the one to your right is going to have hens with him. You can hear them talking in the trees. All the birds in this scenario are still in the tree.

So which bird do you approach and why and how?

OK. So all the birds are now on the ground. They are both still gobbling, but the lonely one is really tearing it up. The old tom with hens is gobbling less and less and seems to be moving away from you more and more to the right. The lone bird is walking a line strutting and gobbling it seems. What is your game plan?
Last edited by Roy on December 30th, 2011, 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Scenario

Post by guesswho »

I'm staying between them until they fly down and let me know what their plans are, then I'll decide which one.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I'd play a tune for the one without hens.
Last edited by redarrow on December 30th, 2011, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I'm heading back to truck for more shells, a couple zip lock bags and a knife.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Scenario EDITED

Post by guesswho »

I'm going to go play with what I think is the more dominant bird, the one with the hens. I'll give him a couple hours or so and see how it goes. If I can't get him where I need him by 10 or 11 chances are I'll slip back and kill the other bird. Then I'll have a brand new plan for tomorrow. I feel I could kill both birds in three days tops.

If I didn't manage to kill one of them the first day then I'd call Roy that night to see where I went wrong.

That reminds me, Roy pm me your number so I can put it in my phone. I'm sure I'll run into some situations this year and will need your advice. And I know your only available for afternoon advice.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Gobbler wrote:I'm heading back to truck for more shells, a couple zip lock bags and a knife.
I'm sittin in your spot right after you leave because I'm not really ever sure what to do and if you sat there it must be a good spot because you know what you are doing. :turkeywave:
Roy

Post by Roy »

guesswho wrote:I'm going to go play with what I think is the more dominant bird, the one with the hens. I'll give him a couple hours or so and see how it goes. If I can't get him where I need him by 10 or 11 chances are I'll slip back and kill the other bird. Then I'll have a brand new plan for tomorrow. I feel I could kill both birds in three days tops.

If I didn't manage to kill one of them the first day then I'd call Roy that night to see where I went wrong.

That reminds me, Roy pm me your number so I can put it in my phone. I'm sure I'll run into some situations this year and will need your advice. And I know your only available for afternoon advice.
Yes please dont call before 12. Agreed on what is thought to be the dominant bird scenario.
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. :D

Return to “Hunt Strategies”