TSS vs. Hevi shot

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
kisatchiekutter

TSS vs. Hevi shot

Post by kisatchiekutter »

Been shooting Hevi-shot, Nitro ammunition , for several years with awesome results. Probably don't need to change a thing but iv'e been hearing a lot of good things about loading TSS, just wondering what size shot or combination of shot most of you guys that are hunting with TSS are shooting. also if anyone could point me in the right direction of where you are purchasing your TSS shot I would really appreciate the help.

God Bless
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: TSS vs. Hevi shot

Post by TS »

Been using Nitros for years like you and they get the job done. How much deader can we kill a turkey?
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Hawglips on this site is the man. Start now as it may take a while to get components. Powders are still a little scarce. Federal hulls are out as Fed is not offering them for sale anymore. Good luck.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Aren't nitros loaded in federal hulls? Just curious but I have about 10-20 that I've saved over the last few years. It might not be enough to worry with but I'd be glad to give them away. They are 3.5", might have a few more laying around, but I will check and see.
Pass the biscuits!!
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Go to the reloading section and spend an afternoon just reading. Everything you could ever need to know about reloading TSS is at your fingertips there. All you have to do is sift through and read. There are also lots of people here who will be extremely helpful filling in the gaps if you have a question. The shot itself is the easy part. That's Hawglip's department. The hardest part is tracking down all the other supplies you need.

No doubt Nitros (or any other shell) will kill them just as dead. But for top-of-the-line performance from a turkey load, TSS is as good as it gets. And, although the start-up cost is a little high, once you get going the cost per shell is comparable to nitros.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

With the exception of a gentleman from Tn who manages to scratch one down occaionally with a 6 x 8 mix, most folks on here load either 9s, 8s, 8.5s, or a mix of those shot sizes. Nitros are very effective, TSS is more so. TSS 9s carry a lot more energy density than HS. There is no comparison between HS 7s and TSS 9s, TSS wins hands down. Part of the beauty of handloading TSS is flexibility. You can load up a 2.75"- 2.25 oz 12 Ga load or a light recoiling 1.25 oz load and still kill turkeys to 50 yds. TSS really shines in the sub gauges, where .410s become 40+ yd killers. Lots of guys are loading 1&5/8s oz 20 ga loads that far exceed the patterns of most 3.5" 12 gauges. We have all heard of the difficulty of ordering from Nitro as turkey season approaches. As long as you keep the components on hand, TSS loads are always at your fingertips. Plus, as Gold Hunter likes to say, handloaders have twice the fun. The loading and testing is half the fun. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Spuriosity wrote:With the exception of a gentleman from Tn who manages to scratch one down occaionally with a 6 x 8 mix, most folks on here load either 9s, 8s, 8.5s, or a mix of those shot sizes. Nitros are very effective, TSS is more so. TSS 9s carry a lot more energy density than HS. There is no comparison between HS 7s and TSS 9s, TSS wins hands down. Part of the beauty of handloading TSS is flexibility. You can load up a 2.75"- 2.25 oz 12 Ga load or a light recoiling 1.25 oz load and still kill turkeys to 50 yds. TSS really shines in the sub gauges, where .410s become 40+ yd killers. Lots of guys are loading 1&5/8s oz 20 ga loads that far exceed the patterns of most 3.5" 12 gauges. We have all heard of the difficulty of ordering from Nitro as turkey season approaches. As long as you keep the components on hand, TSS loads are always at your fingertips. Plus, as Gold Hunter likes to say, handloaders have twice the fun. The loading and testing is half the fun. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
What Spur said! Also, I helped a buddy load 8 3" 2 oz loads of TSS 9x8.5's to try. He had been shooting Nitros. He couldn't believe the pattern his SX3 threw with the TSS load, then when he killed 5 turkeys and a coyote at 40 yards with them he was hooked. His words, "Beau, this is some nasty S$%^!" lol
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

and you only load what you need and its the same load every year :thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

If your interested in a Duplex or triplex type load Environmetal makers of Hevishot have one distinct advantage.. They have figured out how to have the smallest shot on the outside of the pattern, the next larger shot making up the middle portion of the pattern and the largest deepest penetrating shot making up the inner core of the pattern to ensure long distance pattern density and ample penetration.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Every shot in a TSS load has the same penetration and energy regardless if it is in pattern's middle, center or outside.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:If your interested in a Duplex or triplex type load Environmetal makers of Hevishot have one distinct advantage.. They have figured out how to have the smallest shot on the outside of the pattern, the next larger shot making up the middle portion of the pattern and the largest deepest penetrating shot making up the inner core of the pattern to ensure long distance pattern density and ample penetration.
Pattern-Density Technology is breakthrough science!
kisatchiekutter

thanks for the input. TS, I agree with you, I couldn't ask anything more from the Nitro's i've been using. a dead turkey is a dead turkey, just curious about the hype on the TSS shot. always looking for the next best thing I guess, new call, new load, etc. I really appreciate the help.
Thanks and God Bless
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

TS wrote:Been using Nitros for years like you and they get the job done. How much deader can we kill a turkey?
I used to say the same thing!!! You will have to try it yourself to believe it!!! It is unreal !!!!
I thought Hevishot, Magblends, and Win XRs were the cats meow. Boy, was I wrong!
I have made believers out of a few of the members on here this year, and Doug will be the next,...LOL! Just ask ole Gobblenut what he thinks of TSS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: He will fill your ears full. Pretty sure he was shootin Hevi, or Magblends,.... Before!! :mrgreen:
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I use to say that I didn't need no damn fancy auto-loading shotgun. My 870 would kill everything just as dead as them high-dollar guns and it was fool proof and never failed. And I was right. But then my best friend bought a Benelli so I shot it a little just for kicks. Then I shot it a little more because I really liked it. Then I borrowed it a few times to really test it out. Then I bought a Benelli. I still have the 870 and it will still kill everything just as dead and it is still fool proof and unfailing but a Benelli is just in a different league. TSS is kinda like that.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

Shooter i am sure Doug and i have talked bout it making some up. I use to reload back years ago when i was in high school just dove loads but i use to love doing it with my lee loader.
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
kisatchiekutter

just curious what choke are you guys running those TSS loads with? or does it matter?
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

A bunch of folks shoot Carlson's. No need for an $80 choke with this stuff. Factory full, in a lot of cases is all that is needed, that's what I shoot in the 20 and the 28. Indian creek's do well, but not necessary. I've done plenty shooting with a bunch of chokes that I already had, any one would work for me. I don't think I had any "bad" patterns with any chokes I tested. It just came down to picking the best, even pattern, for my hunting needs. Factory flush full fit that need for me in both of my TSS rigs. To me, that's part of the beauty of TSS, at least with Hal's loads, it takes very little effort or expense, once you get to the patterning board, to get a kick ass pattern.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
kisatchiekutter

thanks for the info WW, I've been shooting nitro's through a .665 jellyhead for several years in my 870 SP, nothing fancy but it's worked pretty well. probably try to load some TSS and do some testing before next season, got to give it a try.
watchemflop

Post by watchemflop »

If you try it you will be hooked. It's like crack.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

kisatchiekutter wrote:thanks for the info WW, I've been shooting nitro's through a .665 jellyhead for several years in my 870 SP, nothing fancy but it's worked pretty well. probably try to load some TSS and do some testing before next season, got to give it a try.
I get good results from Rem Super Full. Best I have gotten was C-n-C 675.
Don't need high dollar ported chokes tho.
My 20s all have Carlson, Trulock, or RSF chokes.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
honker22

Post by honker22 »

kisatchiekutter wrote:thanks for the info WW, I've been shooting nitro's through a .665 jellyhead for several years in my 870 SP, nothing fancy but it's worked pretty well. probably try to load some TSS and do some testing before next season, got to give it a try.
The JH .665 may do just fine. With my 870, I've tested between .665 up to .680. I settled on a .675, but I was just splitting hairs at that point.

Like WW said, a full choke will be more than enough for almost any of Hal's loads. Welcome to the forum Big Sign
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.
kisatchiekutter

Thanks H22, I appreciate you turning me on to the forum.

I want to thank everybody that responded to my post for the info.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”