Decoy Strategies

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Looper

Decoy Strategies

Post by Looper »

Ok I've tried single hens , flocks of hens, Strutting jakes, jake tramping on a crouched hen.

Annybody tell me whats worked for them. I have a museum full of dekes now but just can find the right set up . Any successful set ups. I had a big tom come in on a Avian X and the wind spun it facing the Tom that was strutting . It hung him up at 65 yds . I'm thinking Jake and Hen for early season almost side by side to see if I can make the big tom jealous
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Decoy Strategies

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I've tried a bunch of combinations...sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Usually, a hen and jake combo works well for me early in the season, but then I switch to a single hen later on. I don't experiment with 'em much anymore.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

All I know is I have no idea. It always seems lately down here that the dang decoys spook the gobbler.
Looper

Post by Looper »

I even tried a goose hunting strategy and set 9 decoys . A jake came in full tilt from 500 yards away,
I had a full strut Jake and had two big toms come out in the field a hundred yards away walk about 150 yards out into the field. Then they turned around and ran at him when I pasted the bigger one.
Looper

Post by Looper »

I went to a Single Avian X as we hunt some little bushes or fence rows and open corn stubble or winter wheat. The decoy helps pull them across the fields sometimes. Most of the bushes are 2 to 5 acres surrounded by wide open fields with thin fence rows
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Gobbler wrote:All I know is I have no idea. It always seems lately down here that the dang decoys spook the gobbler.
Around here, the thicker the cover, the more they seem to avoid decoys. At least, it seems that way. I'm stuck working field birds most of the time, though.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

When you get it figured out you can be sitting on a Caribbean Island drinking umbrella drinks after we all pay for the answer.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Grumpy wrote:When you get it figured out you can be sitting on a Caribbean Island drinking umbrella drinks after we all pay for the answer.
No truer statement.

What use to work for me when I hunted easterns was two hens milling around . one feeder and one looking. Then a Jake about 10 to 15 yards away from them watching them.
Dang I killed some birds with that.
Grunt-N-Gobble

Post by Grunt-N-Gobble »

Gobbler wrote: What use to work for me when I hunted easterns was two hens milling around . one feeder and one looking. Then a Jake about 10 to 15 yards away from them watching them.
Dang I killed some birds with that.
X2 !!!!! I've used the same setup as well and its funny you mention this. Today, behind the office here there was one hen being trailed by 2 toms and a jake. The thing is, those gobblers were almost always 10yds or more away from her and never got real close.......... they kept their distance.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Seems like a lot of birds are killed with a full strut Tom decoy too.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

Return to “Hunt Strategies”