Serious Decoy Question?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Serious Decoy Question?

Post by guesswho »

Ok, I forgot to take my med's today so this may or may not make sense. I have a decoy question. I've noticed something while watching professional turkey hunters on tv. It seems like a lot of the gobblers they kill over decoys are funny, not funny ha-ha but the other kind of funny. On these shows I see gobblers walking past hen decoys to go mount and molest a gobbler decoy. :scratch:

My question is if I decided to use decoys wouldn't I be better off with a couple gobbler decoys than with hens? Maybe not use the stake, just put it on the ground in the ready posistion. Also should I use one with the fan up instead of down. Looks to me like that might be more attractive to other gobblers. Any thoughts?
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Serious Decoy Question?

Post by vaturkey »

Hey Buddy

Hope to see you in Nashville with a DSD Hen & Jake decoy tucked under each arm. You think you kill alot of gobblers now. You can thank me now or you can thank me later. :thumbup:

Take Care Ricky :struttin: Good luck this commin spring. I will be in Alabama on March 15th. Barbour Co. that is.
Last edited by vaturkey on December 15th, 2011, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

That video wasnt Brokeback Gobblers was it ?
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

redarrow wrote:That video wasnt Brokeback Gobblers was it ?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would have loved to had a video of that hunt . That gobbler didn't know wheather to S@#$ or go blind ! :thumbup:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

vaturkey wrote:Hey Buddy

Hope to see you in Nashville with a DSD Hen & Jake decoy tucked under each arm. You think you kill alot of gobblers now. You can thank me now or you can thank me latter. :thumbup:

Take Care Ricky :struttin: Good luck this commin spring. I will be in Alabama on March 15th. Barbour Co. that is.
Your DSD's will be the only turkeys in Alabama. Ain't seen one in Bama in over five years now. I think it's all related to my question. They liked gobblers instead of hens and never reproduced. Maybe thats why they call them gobblers?
Double Naught Spy!
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

guesswho wrote:
vaturkey wrote:Hey Buddy

Hope to see you in Nashville with a DSD Hen & Jake decoy tucked under each arm. You think you kill alot of gobblers now. You can thank me now or you can thank me latter. :thumbup:

Your DSD's will be the only turkeys in Alabama. Ain't seen one in Bama in over five years now. I think it's all related to my question. They liked gobblers instead of hens and never reproduced. Maybe thats why they call them gobblers?

Oh that's right ! Aint no turkeys in Alabama ! :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

You gonna get you a pop-up blind too?? :oops:

:D :D

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Roy

Post by Roy »

MKW wrote:You gonna get you a pop-up blind too?? :oops:

:D :D

Mike
Reported!
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

A good Hunting blind is a real asset in the woods. :thumbup:
I usually have one in the pull cart along with decoys, chairs, cooler, toaster oven and the Honda generator. It will conceal your movement. Especially when you are making your lunch or reading your NWTF Magazine.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Gobbler wrote:A good Hunting blind is a real asset in the woods. :thumbup:
I usually have one in the pull cart along with decoys, chairs, cooler, toaster oven and the Honda generator. It will conceal your movement. Especially when you are making your lunch or reading your NWTF Magazine.

:toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:
:thumbup:

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I also try to take my pop-up outhouse with me. You never know when nature is going to call. Plus you can shoot through the crescent of the moon on the door if they sneak up on you while you're reading your N''WTF'' mag.. :bootyshake:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny thing is that Gobbler is not BullShi**ing you! HAHAhaha
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Hognutz wrote:

I also try to take my pop-up outhouse with me. You never know when nature is going to call. Plus you can shoot through the crescent of the moon on the door if they sneak up on you while you're reading your N''WTF'' mag.. :bootyshake:
I don't read the N"WTF" magazine. I do however use the N"WTF" magazine while I'm in the pop-up outhouse for other more appropriate tasks.
Double Naught Spy!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

guesswho wrote:
I don't read the N"WTF" magazine. I do however use the N"WTF" magazine while I'm in the pop-up outhouse for other more appropriate tasks.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Not funny just normal turkey male behaviour. I don't think it has anything to do with decoys either. In the spring I have seen them being funny and when they finally stood up there was nothing there but dirt under them. Sometimes if they come in with 2 and I shoot one his buddy will be funny with the one I shot as he lays there dying. As far as tactics to target the funny ones just keep doing what you always do. Odds are which ever one you shoot he is or was funny at some point. Now there's something to ponder.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I think a Jake decoy is all anyone needs. You be the hen and the Jake Be the Jealousy maker. A awe full combo for the Local Gobbler. :thumbup:
SpurHntr

Post by SpurHntr »

my opinion is IF a gobbler walks into any setup with a male turkey in it, then he is coming to fight said male imposter...meaning, it makes sense to me these toms we see coming into coed setups behave "funny" and virtually ignore the hen in it until he drives off his competition

when they come into lady only setups, well, no one to chase off now is there?

i have seen many a suspicious tom sneak around my coed setups to know such a setup can be a gamble though...which is why i often use just hens, occasionally add a jake, and only rarely use a Tom in my spreads.

not sure if this was a rhetorical question, but figure id throw in my $0.02 anyway...
Humpty was pushed!
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

SpurHntr wrote:my opinion is IF a gobbler walks into any setup with a male turkey in it, then he is coming to fight said male imposter...meaning, it makes sense to me these toms we see coming into coed setups behave "funny" and virtually ignore the hen in it until he drives off his competition

when they come into lady only setups, well, no one to chase off now is there?

i have seen many a suspicious tom sneak around my coed setups to know such a setup can be a gamble though...which is why i often use just hens, occasionally add a jake, and only rarely use a Tom in my spreads.

not sure if this was a rhetorical question, but figure id throw in my $0.02 anyway...
I agree. Tom decoys seem to work really well on TV, but they can make sub dominant birds really skittish. I usually use 2 hens and a jake, if I use dekes at all. And that is usually in a field setup. I often do not use them in the woods. I like to set up in a place where, if a tom could see my decoy, he would already be in range, and therefore dead. :mrgreen:
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Serious Decoy Question?

Post by drenalinld »

Gobbler wrote:I think a Jake decoy is all anyone needs. You be the hen and the Jake Be the Jealousy maker. A awe full combo for the Local Gobbler. :thumbup:
Because all you hunt is "funny" jakes making a jake decoy perfec!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

drenalinld wrote:
Gobbler wrote:I think a Jake decoy is all anyone needs. You be the hen and the Jake Be the Jealousy maker. A awe full combo for the Local Gobbler. :thumbup:
Because all you hunt is "funny" jakes making a jake decoy perfec!
Like the greats of Turkey hunting always say... "You can't eat Beards or Spurs."
Give me the challenge of the elusive Jake. :mrgreen:

:thumbup:
gobblingghost

Post by gobblingghost »

I'm wondering if some of these toms are like most quail hunts. Put the birds out and then go back kill them. A buddy of mine calls them "Put-n-Take" hunts.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

gobblingghost wrote:I'm wondering if some of these toms are like most quail hunts. Put the birds out and then go back kill them. A buddy of mine calls them "Put-n-Take" hunts.

Funny you should say that...I was doing some forestry work on a working plantation near Albany, GA back in about 2001 and that's exactly what they did for folks that paid to turkey hunt there. They had a pen with probably 50 big gobblers in it. They'd take one out and release it just before dark the evening before they were gonna take a client out to hunt the next morning. They had a pretty high success rate! :banghead:

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Decoys are a funny thing anyway. With a goofy turkeys brain, you never know what they are thinking or what they are gonna do from day to day.
I mostly use them to get thier attention, and keep them looking at them instead of me,...lol
Grizzly Johnson

Post by Grizzly Johnson »

Shooter wrote:Decoys are a funny thing anyway. With a goofy turkeys brain, you never know what they are thinking or what they are gonna do from day to day.
I mostly use them to get thier attention, and keep them looking at them instead of me,...lol

We should have had more decoys out that one day..... maybe he would have been looking at them instead of you putting on your facemask and gloves..... :toothy7: :thumbup:
Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Grizzly Johnson wrote:
Shooter wrote:Decoys are a funny thing anyway. With a goofy turkeys brain, you never know what they are thinking or what they are gonna do from day to day.

We should have had more decoys out that one day..... maybe he would have been looking at them instead of you putting on your facemask and gloves..... :toothy7: :thumbup:
OH GOD,... I had almost forgot about that morn, and you had to come along and bring that nightmare back up,..... Geeeeez!!
That big ole gobbler had a charmed life that day,...lol

Return to “Hunt Strategies”