Help needed on gobber thats giving me fits

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

ok turkey killers. i need some help on a turkey that is in one of the prettiest hardwood bottoms you can lay eyes on. Huge timber, WIDE OPEN, and the turkey can see at least 150-200 yards in every direction. i got on the turkey yesterday about 9:30 and he got crunk up on his own gobbling at crows and owls. i was about 300 yards from him in a thicket when he sounded off. i yelped at him one time, instant answer. i yelped my happy tail all the way to him and crawled the last 50 yds into the big hardwood block he was in and got comfortable. he gobbed about 175-200 and i yelped back at him. he double gobbled and i shut up and got the gun up. 5 minutes later i see him about 100 yards straight down my gun barrel. he gobbles on his own and i purr at him and scratch in the leaves. once again he hammers and starts looking hard for the "hen" he heard. i watched him do about a 85 yard circle going to my right to left and walked off. the turkey literally 10 minutes later started gobbling again but he was now across the property line. most of the time when i sit down i know whether or not im gonna kill the turkey and that was one of those times i thought i was gonna hear the 20 pop go off. any tips on hunting wide open hardwood bottoms? ive had 2 turkeys do the same exact thing this year. i hunt mostly in smaller timber and pines.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Help needed on gobber thats giving me fits

Post by gophert »

Decoy is my suggestion. Give him what he is looking for.
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

Stick a fan in your pack. Have it sitting beside you and when you can see him, raise the fan and open it up. Turn it, and close it and reopen. Be ready to shoot as he will probably be on the run when he comes. Or, message me and I will come take care of him. IMO a hen decoy will make this situation worse.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Once you see him quit calling. If he backs out then come from another angle. Any ridges, dips or anything?
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

Any hens with him? That would be the first thing I would want to know.
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
T-town

Post by T-town »

Fan him or if he's gobbling enough on his own, move in as close as you can without being spotted before you ever say a word to him. Call once and put it away.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

.243 or .22-250
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

That's the trouble with wide open. He got to a point where he knew he should be visible to the hen, didn't see her so he moved on. Chances are even if you had a decoy out he would have done the same thing once he realized she wasn't going to go to him. You need to find a place where he's in killing range before he can see "or not see" the hen. A blow down, any thick brush or anything that obstructs his view is what you need. If that's not available it may take a shooter and a caller to pull it off.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

guesswho wrote:That's the trouble with wide open. He got to a point where he knew he should be visible to the hen, didn't see her so he moved on. Chances are even if you had a decoy out he would have done the same thing once he realized she wasn't going to go to him. You need to find a place where he's in killing range before he can see "or not see" the hen. A blow down, any thick brush or anything that obstructs his view is what you need. If that's not available it may take a shooter and a caller to pull it off.
I caught him in a thicket saturday... :mrgreen: not gonna have any more problems with him.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Cool! I hate them troublesome gobblers, actually I hate'em all!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

guesswho wrote:That's the trouble with wide open. He got to a point where he knew he should be visible to the hen, didn't see her so he moved on. Chances are even if you had a decoy out he would have done the same thing once he realized she wasn't going to go to him. You need to find a place where he's in killing range before he can see "or not see" the hen. A blow down, any thick brush or anything that obstructs his view is what you need. If that's not available it may take a shooter and a caller to pull it off.
This
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Congrats Guesswho gave great advice.. Alot of our timber here is mature wide open with very little other than mature trees and flat.. Even when beating there ears which is easy, you still have to beat there perception..

Return to “Hunt Strategies”