What type of flash light do you use?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

I've been known to use the dusk dawn light, but that was for climbing out of bedroom windows putting out them late night fire calls I get.
AHGoodwin

Re: What type of flash light do you use?

Post by AHGoodwin »

for those of you that don't use lights, do you not have to worry about bears, moose, coyotes? I have been using a head lamp just so I can make sure I see the eye shine of any potentially dangerous animals.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Streamlite penlight. Always have it. Slickyboyboo used it. Works great. Green.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

I use a headlamp with a red led when I'm walking a ways in the dark. If the birds are fairly close to the parking spot I don't. I'm blind as a bat anyway, so navigating through stuff I can't see isn't out of the ordinary.

I will say I've run into some duck hunters a few times on public land (claim they get there at three in the morning, post dudes on nearby logging roads to shine spotlights at you, shine lights from near the decoy spread near roosts, etc.) and the way they shined spotlights didn't exactly run the bird off. In fact, if they did not try to shake the birds off the limbs with box calls I would have expected to hear a shot.

Also, I have a honey hole right off a road a school bus goes up and down. Looks like a disco in there about half an hour before fly down.
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

Last edited by mossy835 on February 22nd, 2015, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catdaddy

Post by catdaddy »

For those of you that don't believe in using a light , I invite you to tag along with me on a MS turkey hunt. If you don't fall down a bluff or into a stump hole, you will get bloodied while trying to navigate through a briar thicket. Then--there are the snakes. Now I don't have a snake phobia--but I like to know what I am getting into.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

catdaddy wrote:For those of you that don't believe in using a light , I invite you to tag along with me on a MS turkey hunt. If you don't fall down a bluff or into a stump hole, you will get bloodied while trying to navigate through a briar thicket. Then--there are the snakes. Now I don't have a snake phobia--but I like to know what I am getting into.
Nice to hear from you Catdaddy.. I do have a snake phobia. That's one thing we don't have to deal with up here. And glad of it!! Streamlite here, as well..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

What's the purpose of using a flashlight for turkey hunting? What am I missing? Ya'll have night lights in your bedroom still as well? Ronnie, don't respond to that last question.....lol
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

ccleroy wrote:What's the purpose of using a flashlight for turkey hunting? What am I missing? Ya'll have night lights in your bedroom still as well? Ronnie, don't respond to that last question.....lol
The only reason anyone should have to use one, would be if they had a turkey roosted the eve before, and was trying to get in position way before light.
Even then, you would have to block out the beam with your gloved hand, so the turkey couldn't see it. I usually just stay near the truck until I can see to walk. Our turkeys here don't start gobblin til the songbirds and Crows start up anyway.
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

I don't use one even if I'm getting tight on a roosted turkey, use your natural night vision boys.
catdaddy

Post by catdaddy »

ccleroy wrote:I don't use one even if I'm getting tight on a roosted turkey, use your natural night vision boys.
Thanks so much for the info--I'm already thinking about all the gobblers I'll avoid spooking and hopefully kill next year by ditching my little light.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Same one I have used for years on my peeping tom route.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

catdaddy wrote:
ccleroy wrote:I don't use one even if I'm getting tight on a roosted turkey, use your natural night vision boys.
Thanks so much for the info--I'm already thinking about all the gobblers I'll avoid spooking and hopefully kill next year by ditching my little light.

Glad I could be of assistance, who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks....lol
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

I do a lot of walking in the N/F in Va. going after them birds and I like the small fenix flashlights. :thumbup:

http://fenix.factoryoutletstore.com/cat ... nches.html
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
N2deer

Post by N2deer »

Johndoe wrote:Streamlite penlight. Always have it. Slickyboyboo used it. Works great. Green.

What I keep with me, I rarely use it buts its useful if needed. I like having one handy and knowing where it is.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

I carry a Streamlight Strion HL in my pocket everyday, but I only use it turkey hunting if navigating a bad swamp.

It's just second nature to put on a belt, leatherman, case, strion, S&W, wallet and cell when I get up and get dressed. Same stuff goes in my pockets everyday hunting or not.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I'm night blind and use a Streamlight stylus with a green lens when I need it. I keep the light closed in my fist with the beam pointed down to let out a little light when I gotta have it.

Jim
Adamj1218

Post by Adamj1218 »

Johndoe wrote:Streamlite penlight. Always have it. Slickyboyboo used it. Works great. Green.
Which type of pen light do you use and recommend?
mossy835

Post by mossy835 »

I use one of two lights, a brim style clip on with green LEDS when heading to the blind or the base of a tree and I had a stream light that gave up this year for around camp. Most likely will replace the stream light with a small Mag Light (LED). Where I hunt there are a lot of streams and water to avoid and many creek crossings are moss covered logs so footing is paramount. Up around the lake it is normally pitch black until just before sunrise as my hunt areas are in the mountains and yes bears, cougars and other things like rattlers are always a concern in the spring hunt.
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

No light for me but I do wear a pair of clear safety glasses occasionally if I know I'm going to be going thru some thick brush in the dark. Makes it much easier to aim without a briar in my eyeball.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I have a $5 headlamp from wally world. but only carry it if I know ill have to pick my way through a laurel thicket.
El Sicario
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

catdaddy wrote:
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
slickyboyboo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by slickyboyboo »

Adamj1218 wrote:
Which type of pen light do you use and recommend?
For sure, worked like a champ! Small, compact, and plenty bright if needed.
Raising my carbon footprint, one bag of charcoal at a time!
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

Shooter wrote:
ccleroy wrote:What's the purpose of using a flashlight for turkey hunting? What am I missing? Ya'll have night lights in your bedroom still as well? Ronnie, don't respond to that last question.....lol
The only reason anyone should have to use one, would be if they had a turkey roosted the eve before, and was trying to get in position way before light.
Even then, you would have to block out the beam with your gloved hand, so the turkey couldn't see it. I usually just stay near the truck until I can see to walk. Our turkeys here don't start gobblin til the songbirds and Crows start up anyway.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Never carried a light one day turkey hunting.... Had a buddy of mine turn his on walking in and i about had a fit!!
tubecaller10

Post by tubecaller10 »

AHGoodwin wrote:for those of you that don't use lights, do you not have to worry about bears, moose, coyotes? I have been using a head lamp just so I can make sure I see the eye shine of any potentially dangerous animals.
I don't have to worry about bears or moose but the coyotes better watch out for me. Im their dangerous animal :lol:

Return to “Hunt Strategies”