Rangefinders

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
ads1

Rangefinders

Post by ads1 »

How many of you use a rangefinder when you turkey hunt. What kind and how is it specifically used?
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Rangefinders

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I carry one, but dont use it very often. If I'm in the woods i will sometimes range trees so i will know where my max range is. Occasionally I will range a dead turkey to see how far he was. I use a Bushnell Yardage Pro that I've had for years.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Always carry one in the woods. I use it to work on my yardage guessing and to range trees or objects to figure out my max range. I rarely get to range the animal itself. I use a leica 1000r
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I use a 100 dollar one from walmart and I use it to verify a couple distances when set up so i know if the bird gets in range. I can't judge distance like i use to so its just a quick double check for me.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Southern Sportsman wrote:I carry one, but dont use it very often. If I'm in the woods i will sometimes range trees so i will know where my max range is. Occasionally I will range a dead turkey to see how far he was. I use a Bushnell Yardage Pro that I've had for years.
Pretty much describes me as well.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I have one and it's a Leupold RX (I think). I got it several years ago. Actually I have not been impressed with it. It is suppose to range to like 800 yards or so. I don't think I have ever been able to range anything over 350ish. It was rather expensive when I got it. I think pushing $400. I use it deer hunting out of my one stand, I can have up to a 325 yard shot. I use it like the other guys in the turkey woods, range trees, etc to know my exact range limits when hunting. There have been several advancements from my model to today's models. Mine has all types of fancy options on it with different caliber guns, etc.........way too much crap than I need or use. My suggestion would be to keep it simple and reliable. Check out reviews on different sites. I'm thinking you could get a good one for $100-$200?

If something happens to mine, I would buy another one, but not like the one I have.

Just my .02,

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I always carry my Bushnell Scout. I don't try to range turkeys but always try to range trees in an arc that delineates my max range. In field settings I often place a couple of sticks in the ground at my max range by ranging back to the tree I'm going to sit against. If the turkey crosses the sticks, he's in range. I also go to every turkey I kill and range back to the tree where I was sitting to check the range since I keep kill and miss data by range.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

Kevin most rangefinders will not hit max range unless it's a big shiny object like a roof top. If there rated for 800 expect to get about half that on deer size game
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

turkey_slayer wrote:Kevin most rangefinders will not hit max range unless it's a big shiny object like a roof top. If there rated for 800 expect to get about half that on deer size game
Dang, not that I would ever need to know something is 800 yards, but it would be nice if it did work that far. Oh well.....
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

If I strike a bird I usually just pace off 40 yards in a couple directions and go back and get set up and call..
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Nikon. I use it to range my surroundings when I get set up. I have ranged a few field birds while hunting to get an accurate distance then shoot them.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I use a Nikon. I rarely use it, but always take it along. If I get a bird that hangs up and I have the opportunity to range it, I will. Otherwise I just blast when the time is right.
I don't like to shoot gobblers when they're that high in a tree 'cause they bruise so bad when they hit the ground..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I got lucky with my rangefinder. Lily worked at Opti-Logics for a period. They make some of the best out there, and most of thier products go to the Military.
I was able to get my hands on thier best one. 1500yds, non reflective range, auto angle.
I have only used it with rifle, and x-bow shootin. Don't really plan on using it for shot gunning for turkeys.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”