Whats your thought process?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Whats your thought process?

Post by Gobbler »

When getting ready for the season. And especially a new piece of property. What the process you go through to prepare yourself to hunt it?
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Whats your thought process?

Post by guesswho »

I'll listen at spots before the season, and new spots I look at aerial views, plus I'll put in some foot time mainly identifying obstacles more than anything else.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Most of the new properties I hunt are far enough away that I am not able to do any on-the-ground recon. Therefore, I rely on others to provide as much info as I can get on the areas. Like Guess-"I love the NWTF"-Who, studying maps or aerial photos is a really valuable tool in my pre-hunt evaluations, especially if the areas are large enough that I need to make some predeterminations as to where to start looking.

When hunters from other places contact me about hunting out here in the west, one of the first things I tell them is to make sure they get the maps of the areas they will be hunting.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I don't live close enough to turkeys to do any scouting, other than to familiarize myself a bit with the land. But here's what I typically do.

I first look at the area on Google Earth and get a feel for the drainages and trees, roads and fields, etc. I mentally mark areas I want to try, and come up with a plan for approaching them. Then, if I have a chance to go there sometime before the season, I'll walk the area looking for sign as well as try to imagine how they might be using the area come spring. I'll have a plan put together on where I need to be come opening morning, and be there prior to gobbling time, and game on.

I really enjoy hunting new land. It adds to the experience to me.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

guesswho wrote: and new spots I look at aerial views, plus I'll put in some foot time mainly identifying obstacles more than anything else.
:thumbleft:
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

on private land i will use topo maps and try to get boots on ground as much as i can..But on public land ill use maps as well look at the areas of intrest.. where the public land isnt open most of the time for scouting ill just use the old run and gun method .. just hasnt been the most productive way..
unclerick

Post by unclerick »

I do alot of reconning, on new ground and old ground, I'll drive thru at different times of the day and glass the area, plus print out maps from googls earth, and I also ask the folks around the area if and when they see birds.
scott ellis

Post by scott ellis »

Get on your bicycle(trail bike) and cover as much ground as possible,but only after the birds start gobbling(early spring). Take a locator call with you on your rides. You can then identify roost sites and strut zones and areas the birds are frequenting. Also find potential spring time food sources(burned areas, pastures/fields, old food plots(with perennials planted)water and nesting area's. We ALL know how the patterns of the birds will change from now to the end of winter/early spring when the flocks start breaking up.

Everyone here has great ideas with google earth-especially if you are limited on time.

SE
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Like most of y'all, I Google Earth it first, and then go listen.
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:Like most of y'all, I Google Earth it first, and then go listen.
This :thumbup:
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

It depends on whether or not I have permission to hunt said property.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”