Eastern Kansas public

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
publiclandyeast

Eastern Kansas public

Post by publiclandyeast »

I am heading out to Kansas in April to scout for some Whitetail archery spots. I plan to work some turkey hunting in as well. All hunting will take place on public near Lawrence. I am wondering if there are any tips you would suggest? I am use to run and gun style hunting in Sw pa in public land state forest. I am unsure if birds out west are any different or not.

Thanks ply

walk&talk
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Eastern Kansas public

Post by Gobbler »

don't overlook Small pieces of public land walk in tracks. They get over looked.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

I am not that far from you, and most what I hunt is Public, and NONE is set up to run and gun with a degree of success. Too much open land leads to getting busted on a regular basis. Very important to locate roost and strut zones, and set up in the best place in between with decent cover. This leads to a high degree of success, but requires patience to sit it out, which I have. I have scored all times during the day from 7-7, because of my location. If I am where the birds are I do well, but if I have to call them in from too far of a distance I am loosing Tom's to an overabundence of Hens stopping my hunt. I realize this is a lot of basic hunting, but it sure works well for me.
ImageImageImage
publiclandyeast

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it

walk&talk
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

I bought my tags for Kansas on line today.I'm starting to get charged up.
ImageImageImage
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Jaybird wrote:I bought my tags for Kansas on line today.I'm starting to get charged up.
Just some kindling before the fire! Glad to here.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Jaybird wrote:I bought my tags for Kansas on line today.I'm starting to get charged up.
What took you so long I've had mine for about a month or so now and my Texas tags too ;)
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

timbrhuntr wrote:
What took you so long I've had mine for about a month or so now and my Texas tags too ;)
I am waiting on my Texas tags until I am sure my son in law has it arranged. He has friends with the land, but needs to check on availability.
ImageImageImage
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I have heard E Kansas has had a couple bad hatches in a row and the population is down, just what I heard.. Driving through the Flint Hills man that area looks awesome.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:I have heard E Kansas has had a couple bad hatches in a row and the population is down, just what I heard.. Driving through the Flint Hills man that area looks awesome.
I did not see it last year, at least where I am hunting. Had 13 Jake's in a pack come looking for me the year before, which is going to be a lot of 3 year olds running around this year. Severe Winters involving deep snow can cause some survival issues I have noticed.
ImageImageImage
publiclandyeast

Received my rage 3 blades and picked up my hevi shot today. Time will be here soon!!! My wife finally made me put the diaphragm calls away. She said its been like talking to a turkey for over a month hahaha

walk&talk
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I hope you and Jay tear them up. And Timbrhunter. :D

Return to “Hunt Strategies”