Stakeout blind

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
jims

Stakeout blind

Post by jims »

I'm already getting excited about spring turkeys..must have cabin fever! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had success with stakeout blinds? It seems like they would be great for "run and gun" style hunting.....super light, less bulk than a full blind, and set up quick. Do you have a certain favorite model that has held up to the elements and is functional? It seems like the stakes would be the first thing to go? Primos makes one that adjusts up and down..which seems like an advantage for shooting?

Although most stakeblinds are fairly cheap it seems like it may be possible to make my own....that may actually be more durable? Has anyone made their own?

I also noticed that a couple companies sell camo umbrellas that work for repelling rain if attached to a tree or used as a ground blind. Has anyone tried an umbrella?
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Stakeout blind

Post by Gobbler »

I have used the stake blinds from wal mart. to cover movement when using a slate call. I like to have one in my gear if I need it. Most of the time we can cut a palmettos and stick it in the ground. Im too lazy to make one. :D
milkman

Post by milkman »

In my opinion its just one more unnecessary think to carry. If you take just a second you can find a setup that offers natural concealment in most circumstances.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Easy to make with camo burlap that comes in many patterns. Zip tie it to plastic electric fence posts with the foot pedal on them for pushing into the ground,,$2.50 a post, I used six to make a circle big enough for 2. Post are at the farm supply stores.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

They work to conceal movement. When I have used them I always set up behind some cover as well. Just try to get one that matches the area you hunt.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Here is my rig for mobility.. Yes its heavy, but the truck pulls it just fine.. I will move this to 8-10 setups during a day, set it up call, hook it up move on, set up call etc... The whole pop up blind phenomenon to me is just cumbersome, this thing tows easy.. As for your stake out blind, yes mobile and quick to set up.. But with it only concealing my movements from the waist down, it does not really accomplish what I need a blind to accomplish..

drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Stakeout blind

Post by drenalinld »

Denny would be proud!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

One of my standard set ups is a roll out blind made out of leafy camo with a gobbler lounger. Use this in minimal cover areas. Do not use the blind if Don't have to and save on lugging anymore than I have to. Did not use at all last year, because I had previously hunted all my places, and knew I could do without. They only last so long before you break or lose the stakes, but they are pretty inexpensive.
ImageImageImage
jims

Post by jims »

I just found a new type of blind that I don't see advertised very often. It's called Ghostbind. It actually uses mirrors to reflect images of the immediate surroundings. I was a bit scepticle until I did a search and hardly found anyone that tried them that did't rave about them. I was so impressed I bought the smaller "runner" model. It is 26" x 16" folded and weighs 8 lbs. The only bad reviews I found were from guys that hunted in high wind or left them overnight and had frost build up on them so the mirrors didnt work. Just like any stakeout blind the hunter is more exposed to the elements. I can't wait to try it out antelope hunting as well. Most waterhole setups I use for antelope take a while for antelope to get acclimated...a mirror blind should immediately blend with surroundings. It ought to be fun trying out!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

What if the sun reflects off of them? That can't be a good thing.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
The SPURSUADER

Post by The SPURSUADER »

I like the Ameristep Lightning-Set Blind...Set's up in 5 seconds like a umbrella!!!!! Only weighs 8lbs and serves the purpose BUT unlike a Blind you would want to leave up for several months as you would for Deer, I wouldn't suggest that with this Blind..It's more for a Unexpected Rainy day or a run and Gun hunt. Not the top of the line but doesn't cost $300/$400 either...I paid $79.99 and it has been the last thing a Gobbler has seen several times!!!! Good Luck
Attachments
blind.png
blind.png (71.84 KiB) Viewed 4113 times
SPURSUADER Custom Calls...Call'em in and Carry'em out!!
jims

Post by jims »

I've been looking for something that is quicker and lighter to set up than a regular portable blind. A popup blind would be nice but doesn't tend to blend into the surroundings like a ghostblind.

From what I've heard there is no sun glare with the ghostblind. The sheets are pointed at an angle towards the ground. Here's one of many youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2EeappH-zY

Each blind has it's advantages and I can't wait to try this one!

Return to “Hunt Strategies”