how would you handle this less than ideal scenario?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: how would you handle this less than ideal scenario?

Post by pedro »

Way cool how it all worked out! Congrats on the first bird.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Great story, Hal. That's the cool thing about turkey hunting. I guarantee you had just as much fun as Karl did, and didn't even carry a gun. That doesn't happen deer hunting. Don't get me wrong. I love to deer hunt, kill half dozen a year, and love eating venison (having backstrap tonight in fact). But hours on stand can't compare to the tactical maneuvers and sheer adrenalin involved in getting within 40 yds of a screaming maniac of a turkey. I've never done it, but the only thing I can think of that can compare, would be bow hunting bugling elk.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Spuriosity wrote:That's the cool thing about turkey hunting. I guarantee you had just as much fun as Karl did, and didn't even carry a gun.
Absolutely! It was just as fun and exciting as any turkey I've ever pulled the trigger on.
customcutter

Post by customcutter »

I would have went a little farther down stream and crossed, then worked slightly uphill. Trying to manuever between the two birds. Hopefully, trying to get one or both jealous of the other. I've bumped too many off the roost trying to get close. Several of them were between 2-4 hours after sunrise. Thought one bird was coming too me and then turning and going away. I put up with the nonsense for several hours, and finally decided to try and approach him when he was moving away. Bird was simply turning on the limb and gobbling in the other direction. I bumped him off the roost at almost 10 AM, about a 100 yards away. That was last year and I think I've been hunting that same bird for 3 years now. Maybe, I'll get lucky this year.

Great post. Glad your strategy worked, with the lob-lolly pine to hide behind.

CC
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Thats great man.!!!!!
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”