what would you have done in this situation?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Here's the situation.

It was opening day. It was windy and cloudy early, and I never heard a gobble early. I was hunting a 75 acre section dominated by a creek and an old beaver pond that is now mostly cattails and marsh grass, and is about 75 to 100 yds across.

After not hearing anything early, and not having room to roam, I decided to go sit down and cold call for a spell right near the edge of the property facing a bottom that is mostly off the property, with my back to the old beaver pond. ("X")

After about 15 minutes of calling, a hen answers back off the property to the front, and starts heading this way. In just a few moments she came into sight, and was very vocal. I always enjoy some turkey company, and decided it couldn't hurt to have her hanging around, so I tried to keep her nearby and calling as long as I could.

Over a 30 minute or so period, she came right to me and circled around me calling the whole time. I'd answer her and mimic her some and mess around with her in order to keep her interested and close. ("H")

Then I heard a gobble. He was back behind me across on the other side of the beaver pond about 100 to 120 yds away. I called some more and about 2 minutes later he gobbled again, this time closer. The hen was still in front of me, obviously wanting some company but showing no signs of any interest at all in the gobbler's calls.

What would you do?
gblack15

Re: what would you have done in this situation?

Post by gblack15 »

How much water is in that beaver pond? Is it dry marsh and wooded or low grass?
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

gblack15 wrote:How much water is in that beaver pond? Is it dry marsh and wooded or low grass?
Not much water, except where the creek goes through. It's very thick marsh grass and cattails mostly. No trees.
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

I would move to the east and setup just across the creek on the edge of the pond between him and the hen. Call softly and hope he thinks a hen is on his side of the pond.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Well.if you quit calling she might leave and go to him. Bad for you. You could shoo her away. And turn around and wait on him. If hes close and she starts alarm putting however your day is done.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
FullChoke

Post by FullChoke »

I would keep quietly clucking and purring to the hen to keep that live turkey caller near you. I would anticipate the gobbler to come around the edge of the old pond on my right side and would position myself for that when I could do it without having the hen bust me. If you are right handed, you can always swing your barrel back to the left easier than you can swing to the right.

BTW, I love these scenario threads!

FC
Central MS
Hawgnman

Post by Hawgnman »

I'd stop calling to the hen, when she's gone, move east to the creek, cross the creek, follow the edge on the marsh until I'm a comfortable distance from the gobble and work him from there.
Grace Happens

Jim /*
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Let guesswho get in there and decide where he is going to call and then get between him and the bird. :D

Seriously, if it sounds like he is getting closer I would look at the terrain and decide where he would come from, could be wrong, and then make the move, if I needed to and if the hen was not there still.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

If possible slip away from Henrietta southeast across the creek and try hunting him from there. If he is getting closer, getting between him and her is ideal. The wind can help in days like this cover up movement. If she would bust me...I think I would sit and let it play out. It is opening day and since it is a small parcel it may work to come at him at a different time.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

depending on sun direction and the wind... I would let hen go (unless there was not time) and slip to the right of the x and cross creek (if there was enough cover) and post up on his side of creek
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
swampbird

Post by swampbird »

I'd kill the hen and call it a day!!
Gobbler Getter

Hebrews 12:11

NBK pro staff
Mossy Oak field staff
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

swampbird wrote:I'd kill the hen and call it a day!!
are you my nephew? :o

thats what he did..with a fist pump afterwards :shock:
yeah, we all laugh now
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
swampbird

Post by swampbird »

hoobilly wrote:
swampbird wrote:I'd kill the hen and call it a day!!
are you my nephew? :o

thats what he did..with a fist pump afterwards :shock:
yeah, we all laugh now

Bwahahaha
Gobbler Getter

Hebrews 12:11

NBK pro staff
Mossy Oak field staff
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

The way I understand it the Gobbler is on land you can't hunt, and your only chance then is to draw him to your land. Keeping a vocal Hen tight to your spot is always a good thing. I'd wait him out.
ImageImageImage
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Jay, the gobbler is on land I CAN hunt. The property line is out in front of me. The hen came from the other property...
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

The ideal is if she walks away still being vocal, and you can judge by his Gobbling if she is going to draw him to chase. Then reset up where you think he's going to come out. If you think he's not going to be drawn in that way, I'd circle the marsh, and get in position closer to him, and start calling. If the other Hen has shut up, he's thinking he's got a hot Hen, and you are good to go. I'm assuming the creek on the East side of the map is crossable to pull that off.
ImageImageImage
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Well, the hen was so vocal, and the gobbler was approaching, so I figured I had two choices. I could move to improve my position, but risk the hen spooking the gobbler, or just stay put and continue to keep the hen in front of me, and having the benefits of a live decoy.

Since the hen wasn't showing any interest in the tom's gobbles, but lots of interest in me, I figured I could continue to hold her close for even longer than she had already been there (almost an hour at this point). So, I decided not to risk her giving off alarm putts and spooking the tom any, but leave things as they were, figuring the tom would end up right in front of me anyway. So, I stayed put, and kept calling to the hen as needed to keep her close. I figured the tom would walk around the beaver pond and approach to my right side, and that's where the hen was hanging around already.

Then all of a sudden, I heard footsteps directly behind me in the leaves. That messed up my mind because that means either the tom walked through the extrememly thick cattails and marsh grass, or he flew across without me hearing him. The footsteps stopped, and he drummed. He was probably no more than 7 or 8 yards directly behind me, and my heart was pounding something fierce. I just knew he was going to walk out on my right side towards the hen, but then I heard footsteps going AWAY from the hen, to my left, but staying back behind me where I couldn't see him at all out of my peripheral vision. As he got farther away, and as the hen continued to pay him no mind at all, I eased my head around just enough to see him -- and then he swung around a little and stopped on the other side of this little ditch, and started strutting back and forth right there.

Now I had the gobbler about 55 yds to my left, and the hen about 30 yds to my right. And at this point I began to worry that the hen might go over there to the gobbler and take him back off the way she had came originally. So, I sat silently, and the hen contined to ignore the gobbler.

After a couple minutes of that, the hen began to slowly walk off, pecking around as she went, heading away forom the gobbler. This was an excellent development, and so I knew it was just a matter of time before the gobbler broke out of his little strutting zone over there, and followed the hen, right in front of me, where I'd end it. When she was safely far enough away, I gave him some very soft stuff, trying to coax him just a little closer.

After what seemed like forever, but was probably only a minute or two, the tom hopped the little creek, to follow the hen. By this time I had my gun on him and figured just a few more steps....
He eased behind a big poplar, and I pushed off my safety. As soon as he stepped out from behind the tree, he would be mine.

After about two minutes behind the tree, and with my thoughts turning towards how I was going to prepare him for the table, in a flash, he took off running -- the OTHER way, like he'd seen a ghost, or coyote, or something. I was stunned. I knew it was pointless, but I tried, to no avail, to call him back. I looked around to try to see what spooked him. Another hunter? A coyote? I know he didn't see me, because of the direction he ran off, and I hadn't moved anyway -- even if he did have x-ray vision and could see through the big poplar.

So, I sat there and called a little longer, 15 or twenty minutes, then decided I needed a change of scenery. So, I got up, and started to call and crawl in the direction the hen had gone.

To finish the story, I struck another tom, that had two hens with him, and ended up killing him just before noon. And as far as the mystery of what spooked the first tom, all I can figure is that the ghost that tom saw was maybe the 2nd tom that I ended up killing.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Surprise was he got behind you. I figured he'd skirt the catails one side or the other. You never know what spooks them sometimes. I've seen birds casually walking across fields, then all of a sudden break out running in panic. Looking around there is absolutely nothing in sight that I can see.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Hunt Strategies”