here's another scenario

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

here's another scenario

Post by hawglips »

Here's the situation.

You're hunting a piece of land that you've never hunted before. It's opening morning. You had walked the length of it once back in January, but you aren't familiar with the property at all.

At gobbling time, you are standing at the pre-selected spot ("X"), hoping to hear a gobble somewhere to go to. Sure enough, you hear one starting to sound off in a very convenient spot, only a couple hundred yards from where you are listening. ("T") So, you think, "this is going to be sweet", and you start straight down the edge of the field towards the corner of the woods straight towards where the tom is gobbling. As you get about halfway there ("Y"), a jake gobbles right between you and the tom. ("J")

How would you handle this situation?
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: here's another scenario

Post by pedro »

if i could make it to the corner i would try to set up just inside the woods. try to call the tom in. my guess is that they would make their way to the field. and hopefully get close enough.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Not knowing the property I'd probably bail in the tree's right there, or at most continue to the corner and see how it plays out. A Jake being closer to a hen than he is, is sometimes more than a longbeard can take. I'd hope I was the only hen close by and would sit tight until I found out otherwise. Could make for a flash hunt.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

Stay quiet with the calls and slip to the corner of the field and just inside the woods. Setup ans call soft to the Tom
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Sounds like a jake gobbling, but is it really a jake, huh? Going to the corner and sit down. It maybe a two year old that is running with the thought to be jake. Might as well sit here and start calling and see what happens. If I do not kill him right after fly down I will try to keep up with him and call him in mid morning.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

If cover allowed I would try to position at a 45 degree angle between both birds in the woods to the east of birds. Seems like that hearing a hen between them would be tough to take for the big bird.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I'd go to the corner or just a bit before and call softly. Chances are if the jake pops out Tommy won't be far behind.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
SnootSnapper

Post by SnootSnapper »

I'd duck in the woods right there and pop a squat. Call a little to see what plays out. Never know, the Tom might run the little fella off and come straight to you. IF that didn't work, break out a slate and your diaphragm. Two hens might get them to come running. IF that didn't work, I'd probably try to back out and catch them at a different time. Maybe come back later to try and roost the Tom. Then he would be on the hitlist the next morning.
savduck

Post by savduck »

Shoot the jake. They taste like chicken.
harvester

Post by harvester »

I would go on to the corner and go left, enter the woods making sure not to bump the Jake and set up on the Tom. I'm probably a little more aggressive than most but it makes for some interesting hunts.
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

savduck wrote:Shoot the jake. They taste like chicken.
Don't have to tell me twice. Especially a gobblin' jake! :thumbup:
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Well, here's what I did.

Since I felt the jake was too close to the corner of the field to allow me to go to the corner like I had originally intended, I could either duck into the woods on my right, or cut across and go in over on the left. I opted to go left, because it looked mighty open in there to my right, and I was afraid there was probably other birds roosted in there with the tom and jake. So, I opted on flanking wide left. ("Z")

Well, being almost totally unfamiliar with the terrain, I ran into a problem. There was a big wall of blackberries and honeysuckle blocking my way in. So, I flanked further and further to the left till I finally found a place I could enter and get into position. Since I knew there was a jake roosting near him, I figured there might be others, so I didn't try to get as close as I would on a lone bird, and settled for a spot against a pine tree about 120 yards from the tom. It was getting mighty light and I didn't dare get any closer once I got through the thick stuff. ("A")

No sooner had I sat down than I heard a bird fly down back over there where the tom was roosted. I cackled as he was flying down. Then two more sets of wings flying down, and I figured I better get going. I knew I was now dealing with another henned up tom, so I went to work on the hens. The tom didn't gobble at me but once or twice, but I soon had three hens flying from one tree to the next to get a closer look at me. And one by one they all flew down right to the tom, who by the way, was obviously working my way. I could tell where he was by watching where the hens flew down.

Within about 15 minutes from the time I heard the first fly down, I saw hens circling the tom and squatting. The tom strutted to a spot where I couldn't see him through the bushes, but I could see the hens. I don't know if he actually bred any or not, but there was obvious foreplay.

I kept up my soft calls and the hens would walk to an opening about 60 yards away and look my way then walk back. It was like they were making sure I knew where they were, and were inviting me to join the orgy.

Eventually, they broke up the party, and started walking my way. The first one in line was a jake. Then I saw three white heads in the procession, and I couldn't tell which one was the tom. It got tense real fast, because the first one was soon right on top of me, and cut across from my left to my right, and was eyeballing me like crazy from about 5 yards away. Finally, I made out which one was the tom, but he was surrounded by hens and couldn't shoot.

Then, the dreaded "PUTT!!" from the lead jake that was eyeballing me so hard.

The tom immediately swung around and was getting out of there without stopping to look and see what was going on. So, I put the bead on him and as soon as he separated enough from the hens, I ended it.
SnootSnapper

Post by SnootSnapper »

I didn't know they were roosted. I may have tried to move to a better spot on them then. Either way, dead bird so it worked out great! Good job adapting to a tough situation and gettin the job done.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Again, Great stuff Hal. Thanks for taking the time to tell the story and illustrate! Very entertaining!
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

I personally think the only reason you got him Hal was the fact that he was slower while running away due to the orgy. :turkeywave:
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Good stuff Mr. Hal. Have you ever let one get away? lol

Return to “Hunt Strategies”