What was your moment?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
ole5beards

What was your moment?

Post by ole5beards »

Some of you are going to have to dig deep to remember but did you ever have a time in the woods that you realized you hade made it? In other words was there ever that one opportunity to prove yourself in the turkey woods?

I remember mine. It was 1995 and I was in high school. I grew up turkey hunting with a very old-school father and grandfather. Back then we had a different approach to turkey hunting. We usually had a bird in mind that we were going to go after in the mornings. We would all 3 split up and try to surround the bird with one of us calling. Usually it was my dad or grandad that did most of the calling, and usually they killed the bird! One morning we were after a particular bird that we had hunted a few times before with no success. However there were a couple different birds gobbling on this same ridge. That morning we made a plan. I got into my spot and waited. About 30 min later I heard the 1st gobble in front of me, and I knew right then that my grandad was right close to that bird. So I figured another boring hunt of me doing nothing but listening to him shoot. About 10 min later a bird gobbled behind me down the ridge a few hundred yards. I was the closer to that bird than the one we were hunting. So I sat there listening to him gobble a few more minutes and decided I wasn't gonna sit there and listen to my dad and grandad kill another bird so I made a move. Long story short I slipped away from my original spot down the ridge and killed the other bird. When I got back to camp my dad and grandad were sitting outside. I came up with that bird on my shoulder and I remember them both smiling and high fiving me. Even though this bird wasn't part of the original plan I decided then and there I could do it and I did. I remember cleaning the bird and both of them telling me how proud they were for me killing that bird. Even though I was a a youngster I remember gaining the confidence that I was looking for and I knew then that I had made it!
Pass the biscuits!!
savduck

Re: What was your moment?

Post by savduck »

For me it's never really been one hunt but different hunts at different times,

Once it was killing the bird at the hunting club no one else could kill. Other times its been while guiding others on new property and getting their bird the first day there. A couple seasons ago I doubled with my Dad 20 years to the day from when I killed my first with him, then one Saturday later killed one with my son in tow on his first morning hunt. Now it's just having a 7 year old son that wants to go. Being a Dad and having a young son that is interested and wants to go is the cream at the top whether or not I kill something.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Mines a little different.. I have taken 100s of people turkey hunting some learn some still hobble along.. I have no kids and most likely will never have any.

But with Sal it has been different.. The last handful of years watching her develop taking what I have taught her, what she has learned on her own as well as using her strengths and minimize her weaknesses to be continually successful on her own.. When we hunt separate and hear her stories knowing she made all the moves I would have, or hunting together her taking the lead at times knowing how she intends for things to unfold.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

When my mentor told me he was proud of me and said I was there, but I still have plenty to learn!
SnootSnapper

Post by SnootSnapper »

My "moment" has been a collaboration of the last several years. This year is the 6th year I've been turkey hunting. The first year I snuck up on a jake. The second year I killed a gobbler that I also snuck up on. The third year I got my calling down pretty well and I doubled on the first day. I had my 5 bird limit kilt in the first 3 weeks of the season. Since then, I've called in a good many kills for myself and for others. I took notes on a couple of occasions from several fellas, but other than that I'm self-taught. I practiced calling every chance I had and every chance that my wife allowed, which also gathered some funny looks during my hour commute to work in the mornings. Only since last year have I considered myself a halfway decent turkey hunter and I'm slowly getting better with every trip to the turkey woods.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Yep!! Every turkey hunt is a learning experience! I hope I didn't come off as sounding like anyone felt they had something to prove while turkey hunting. Because we all know the only true competition is between you and the bird. I like you all had a mentor and I remember the story from above as a point that my mentors(dad and grandad) said they were proud. And I'll never forget that day.
Pass the biscuits!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I first realized I might be decent at turkey hunting around 1972 or 73 as a twelve or thirteen year old kid. We always hunted two WMA's in Central Florida, Avon Park Bombing Range and Green Swamp. What made me think I might be ok at this turkey hunting thing was the fact that on several occasions I heard people at camps and check stations say that little sob right there can kill a damn turkey, and with me being the only little sob there I figured they were talking about me :lol: . Plus the Game Warden at Avon Park named Glen Ivey would always come by our camp and talk to us. He'd tell me all the time, son you got a knack for killing turkeys. Joking around he would tell me I needed to show some of these old farts how to do it.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

What was your moment?

Post by drenalinld »

That little sob can still kill em!...lol
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

It was probably when a buddy who sort of taught me to turkey hunt asked me to help him kill one.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

What was your moment?

Post by drenalinld »

The closest thing I have to a moment is when other members meet me at the gate and when I tell them i didn't do any good they search my truck. They NEVER believe I didn't kill one.
swampbird

What was your moment?

Post by swampbird »

After several seasons in a row of consistent kills over a decade ago ...that kicked me into high gear and I've never looked back
Gobbler Getter

Hebrews 12:11

NBK pro staff
Mossy Oak field staff
sugarray

Post by sugarray »

I would say it is every time my son kills a bird. I have done something right, either put us in the right place, based on scouting, sounded enough like a hen to get him to come, or just been lucky, but I'll take it if that is the case.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

4-24-1991. I have been blessed to know and hunt with Charles Knight. He is Harold's older brother. Ky and I worked together at GM for quite a few years before he retired and moved back home to Kentucky.We first turkey hunted together in April of 91 in Northern Mi.We worked quite a few birds but couldn't seal the deal. Mainly due to me not being able to hold still. I have a bad back and cannot hold my gun at the ready for any length of time.Ky was on my a&* about it too.On the 4 th day I suggested we split up so he wouldn't be hindered by me. We parked and headed off in different directions. I hit my crow call at daybreak and "wham" a tom gobbled . Game on.Then a crow cut loose and was answered by the gobbler. Cool. I don't have to call.I figure he was at least a 1/2 mile away so I took off cross country. He gobble every time the crow hollered so I had a good fix on him.I figgered I was close enough and sat down. I was using a push/pull that Harold gave me a couple weeks earlier.I called and could hear footsteps but couldn't see anything.He didn't gobble either.Then I heard a strange sound. Not strange anymore. POP POP POP PUTT PUTT. Oh no ,I blew it. Then he stepped out broadside and I raised the gun and fired. Flop flop flop. I learned to be careful when you step on a gobblers neck cause I got kicked square in the begonias. Wish I had it on film.I pinned his wings with my knees grabbed both feet with one hand and chocked that sucker to death.Feathers were scattered everywhere.I walked the distance back to where I was sitting and it was 63 paces. I was using an 11 87 12 ga. with 3 inch Federal 5s copper plated lead. It felt good to sling that ol boy over my shoulder. I was hooked for ever for sure. Cool thing too,when I got back to the truck,I heard a boom from the direction Ky had headed. 15 minutes later here he comes with his gobbler slung over his shoulder.I made some mistakes that day .but I learned a lot too. That was the start of my addiction. Wouldn't trade it for nothing.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

What was your moment?

Post by drenalinld »

Great story Red!
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

I spent a lot of time in the woods of Northern Minnesota, and it always felt like home. My grandpa decided I was the grandkid he would spend all of his time with, and taught me the ropes from fishing, hunting, camping for weeks on trips in those Godawfull old army tents. He told me one day the other grandkids just weren't cut out to do what WE did, and his own way that was as good a compliment as you could get. It was defintely a moment to remember.
ImageImageImage
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I have pondered this question for some time now, and never could hit on anything.
Then, it hit me tonite.
Probably more than 30 years ago, I had killed some good birds, but still not a confident turkey man.
There used to be a bait shop, where all the fishermen and hunters hung out.
I met a guy, which is a great friend now. He had heard I killed turkeys regularly.
He told me about a bird he had messed with for several weeks, but no luck.
I said, I'll bring my vid cam, and call for you, and give it a try.
We walked in before sunrise to where he had heard him before. On cue, the turkey gobbled.
LOL, my calling on the audio sounded like a small dog barking. 20 mins of vid later, he busted that gobbler with an old Rem 870, with a 2 3/4" #4.
He was so tickled and happy, it was almost funny. Cause this guy doesn't get excited about nothin.
After that, I kind of got a rep as the turkey guy around here.
Still have that vid somewhere,...lol
Geeeez, I'm getting old. I was still a teen back then.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

It was running the ridges of so Illinois chasing gobbles from the Mississippi to the Ohio. I didn't kill a bird till my third year into it. When hearing a gobble makes the hair on neck stand up...this is good stuff. The combination of calling and woodsman ship made turkey hunting one of my greatest obsessions.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I have never had a moment yet. I think it's because I hunt with so much passion that I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I think I've made it. The next turkey is always the one that might teach me another lesson I haven't learned.
Scatch1

Post by Scatch1 »

I am not sure that I have found it yet... I have had many, when I felt like, I made it...
I do have a highlight to share... After hunting and beeing succesful at it for 7 or more seasons... I realized that I had never called a bird in for my Dad... He and I hunted deer together since I was 9 years old. Didn't start Turkey hunting until I was in my twenties. My dad and I sort of learned together. Over the last few seasons he seemed to be losing that spark. Dad would come to the camp, but wouldn't stay long. So, I decided that we should hunt togeter again. I made up my mind that I was going to call one in for my Dad. He was so excited when I got the first one in front of him last year that he missed. It was @ 7:15 am. He was so upset, I had to talk him into staying. Well by 9:45 am I drug another one past him. BOOM!!! He told me this time that the old trigger was stiff on his "Old Mossberg 835". I couln't believe he pulled off of the bird and kept on squeezing the trigger! :o My Cousin laughed and said my Dad was the one that was rusty. :lol: We oiled his gun and confirmed that it would work properly. Another bird Gobbles across the road from the camp house. Got this one in range but, came in behind us. Dad couldn't turn around. So, by 12:30pm I had three different Gobbling turkeys in shotgun range of him. I was feeling really confident at my ability to get him in position, and call the bird in our direction. To keep the bird from hanging up. I would just slip away and soft call. This strategy is Killer. Still, no bird to show for it.
The next morning my patience paid off. Used the same technique. Got him set up in a quick make shift blind and drifted away. A short distance in the direction opposite of the "Gobbling Tom". 7:15 am. BOOM!!! And you know what I'm thinking right. "I hope he got him" I walked down to where I left him, and Dad is looking around on the ground as if he is looking for feathers. I was thinking, man, you have got to be kidding me!!! Thank God, He had him down. He just wanted to let me hang a minute. When he picked the Gobbler up, as I approached, I felt like hey, I finally got it done. I called one in for my Dad and he got him.
The rest of the season my Dad was fired up and Turkey Hunted more at the end of last season, than the previous three seasons combined. He was out there doing it himself too!! So, if you could kinda compile those two days together. Along with the fact that Dad is fired up about turkey hunting again. That would be my moment.
Now, I have got to get one in range for my 10 year old son!!! :D
NECKRINGER

Post by NECKRINGER »

the day i realized that I did not know have as much as i thought and due to my age I was the first generation of turkey hunter that would have his life ruined by hunting videos. The generation under me is really messed up. u got people saying they are going to chase jelly heads??
really? a jelly head is a choke tube and a term made up by a company after mashing ones head. how is a living bird a jelly head?

the calling aspect on the videos is what got me.. the editing also. I have been lucky enough to chase turkeys in some terrain that can be quite challenging. I have had 1 really good turkey hunter answer evey question I have had. In the end the less cocky you are the better you will be but you must also be confident in every decision you make. Each bird you get on is a lesson. The more you get on, get in range and pull the trigger on the further along you are.
as soon as you think your stuff dont stink you will miss or have a poopy year.

I moved to the next level in my book when I no longer was scared of turkeys
Dont start a fire in the woods you cant stomp out...it may come back and burn your a$$

Hey guesswho guesswhat

Return to “Hunt Strategies”