weirdest circumstances?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Rockhound

weirdest circumstances?

Post by Rockhound »

The standing up thread got me to thinking, what is the weirdest circumstances in which you killed a gobbler?

One morning i was walking in right about time for gobblin to start and walked up on a bird on the ground, it could not walk or run or anything just flop off 20 yds or so. I knew something was wrong so i took my chances and killed it when i finally got within range and he quit flopping off. I got lucky and it turned out to be a 2 yr old gobbler.

It had come bad winds and tornados the night before and had apparently blew the gobbler out of the tree. When i got to it and inspected it, both its legs were broken so bad at the hips you could almost detach the whole leg by hand.

I was worried about it being a hen, but i knew something was wrong. I honestly would not have felt bad if it had of been when i found out what was wrong. Its just a little to good to be wasted on a coyote.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: weirdest circumstances?

Post by redarrow »

I'd say you did him a favor.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
ccleroy

weirdest circumstances?

Post by ccleroy »

Nothing wrong with that
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

I was hunting public land in iowa a long time ago. 25 feet out of the truck I blew an owl hooter. Nothing.... it was rainy and still very dark even though it was 7am. I waited, listened. Heard a wierd sound above my head. It was a damn gobbler in full strut drumming on the roost. I immediately sat down under his tree. I guess the wet leaves and rain helped me stealth that close to him. A couple minutes later I start hearing 10 hens tree yelping in adjacent trees. That gobbler pounded it so hard It sounded like a gobbler in a P.A. system. Needless to say my heart was beating out of my chest. A few minutes go by and I hear the hens fly down. They are 5 feet away from me under this gobblers tree. I could reach out and grab turkeys I was that close. All of a sudden that gobbler attempted to fly down and ended up tumbling out of the tree like a sack of potatoes. He landed no more than ten feet from me. He looked right I'm my direction and screamed a gobble out right in my face. BOOM! Lights out. These hens stayed right there as if they were confused, yelping frantically, running back and forth. This is why I loved hunting Iowa so much. Even the public land birds had NO pressure. That was my craziest hunt ever. Nothing like killing a bird only a few steps from the truck.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Dang.Did you count your toes afterwards? Thats close.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Years ago I killed one while I was under an old bathtub. Almost killed one while in an old army tank one time. Ten more yards and he would have ceased to exist.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Turkey Talker wrote:...This is why I loved hunting Iowa so much. Even the public land birds had NO pressure. That was my craziest hunt ever. Nothing like killing a bird only a few steps from the truck.
LOL! A buddy of mine bought some land just south of Des Moines and asked me if I would call for him. We stopped his truck along a wooded fence row and hiked about 250 yards up to the brush pile next to area where he saw a bird strutting the week before. As soon as it got light outside, we heard a gobble back in the direction of the truck. That bird pitched down right beside it. We had parked directly under a roosted bird! He got shot about 30 minutes later. I told my buddy to savor that moment, but that will probably never happen again. :lol:
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

One day I eased into an area to sit and call during mid-morning. After things settled down, I saw a turkey head pop up and look at me about 20 yds away. And then the bird started painfully flopping and walking away from me. I realized it had to be the bird my nephew had shot the morning before but never could recover it. It had a swollen head and neck and one broken leg from the day before.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Sal and I were hunting together and well you know the rest of the story :lol:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Sal and I were hunting together and well you know the rest of the story :lol:
Sal killed it! :thumbup: :turkeywave:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Sal and I were hunting together and well you know the rest of the story :lol:
I wasnt there.. so tell us!
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

Turkey Talker wrote:
I wasnt there.. so tell us!
He missed it and Sal didn't?

Return to “Hunt Strategies”