Drumming

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
3toe

Drumming

Post by 3toe »

The shortcomings thread got me to thinking about this.

Who else besides me cannot hear a turkey drum? Too many dove hunts as a youth without ear plugs I guess. I can hear and range gobbling perfect, but I can't hear a turkey drum. I know what it sounds like, I found a youtube vidoe with a turkey drumming and had to put on headphones and turn it up to hear it. I guess that range of hearing is shot for me. Been hunting with a buddy and him saying "He's coming, the drumming is getting closer" and all I hear is slience unless he gobbles. I' ve even tried to "feel it" as some would say, the vibration in my chest when they are really close and drumming, nothing so far. It sucks.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Drumming

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Man thats terrible.. Best sound a turkey makes, cuz you know your gonna shoot him soon. :thumbup:

I have a feeling with me waterfowling I will be in your shoes shortly :(
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I also have friends who can track gobblers by their drumming. I can count on half my fingers on one hand the number of times I've heard drumming. I can hear the spit and my long range hearing is better than most on gobbling. When I was in my mid-20s I couldn't hear it so I think I was born with the inability to hear the low range. I haven't shot my hearing out--yet. I took a 25 year break from shotgunning except for turkey hunting and when I developed loads and patterned loads, it was always with double hearing protection. On all wingshooting but turkeys, it's with hearing protection. Gil
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Drumming

Post by drenalinld »

I hate that for you. It's intense for me. It is one of those sounds that is difficult to get an exact direction on many times which only amplifies the excitement for me. I love hearing him knowing he is almost in gun range but cannot figure out just where he is. Some can hear it and just don't identify it as turkey. You learn to key in on it. If you get the right turkey close enough I bet you will hear it. At 10 - 15 yards some gobbler sound like a car door closing when they make the spit just before drumming.

When I watch turkey videos I like to turn up the bass on the surround sound. You can hear a ton of drumming on most videos this way.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I've killed many turkeys by hearing this sound. Expecting a turkey to show himself in one direction and then hear him drumming in another. Quick move to aim there and kill him when he shows himself. I have heard it up to 100 yards away. I think you have to tune yourself to it.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I think I heard drumming for years when I first started hunting, but didn't know what it was. I probably wrote it off as some kid pumping up the subs in his car from long ways off...or a truck quickly running up thru the low gears. It's so low, it's almost non-directional to me, unless I can hear the spit.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I've only heard it once.He went home in the truck.Who knows what the future holds. My right ear quit working in Oct. Cant hear a thing .Dr. says it may be a tumor or possible nerve damage.Waiting on the results from my MRI now.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I do not think every person can pick up the low frequency as well as others.
I have an old turkey huntin bud from many years. He has not ever heard one, even at 10yds.
He does not have any hearing problems, and can hear one gobble farther than I can,... Never could figure that one out.
I puctured my eardrum 20 years ago. Since it has healed, I can hear low bass sounds so far away, it is spooky. We will be sitting on the couch, and I will turn. Lily will say, what is it? I'll say, someone is coming down the road. Sure enough, a minute later or so, here comes a truck or the UPS guy.
When we used to hunt the mountain with all the ravines and such on a year that they didn't gobble much, I would just ease around and listen for drumming. You would be surpised at how many I could find,... problem was, getting him away from what he was drumming about.
West Augusta

Post by West Augusta »

I can hear the spit just fine but never hear the drum. My hearing is fine. We get checked every year at work.
3toe

Post by 3toe »

West Augusta wrote:I can hear the spit just fine but never hear the drum. My hearing is fine. We get checked every year at work.
This is more me. I can hear the spit but not the hum of the drum. A buddy and I had one roosted and got in on him. He was drumming at 20yds per my buddy sitting next to me but I could not hear it. Only the spit.
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

That drumming is like the heroin that addicts us all to turkey hunting. At least it is for me. Kinda like the sound a woman makes when you nibble on her neck. :)

Yeah, that's it!
"INFIDEL"
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

About 25 years ago I got a couple turkey eggs from a friend and put them in an incubator. They both hatched and 1 was a hen and the other was a gobbler. I had already been turkey hunting for about 5 years or so. I had seen turkeys strut and gobble and had killed a few already. As my gobbler got older he would strut and gobble like crazy. He was so tame I could actually put my hands on the top of his head when he would spit and drum. When he was 2 a friend of mine came over and was admiring my turkeys. He had been turkey hunting for 20 years. He says to me " man I can't believe how loud that turkey drums". I said he does that spit and drum thing alot. Then he says but his drumming is so loud I don't think I have ever heard a turkey drum that loud. I said what are you talking about. I had never been able to distinguish that low frequency drum as coming from my turkey. Since the day that my buddy pointed it out to me I have learned to listen for it and now can hear it a long ways off. If you can hear it it will help you kill more turkeys.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
ccleroy

Drumming

Post by ccleroy »

I agree Joe, most people I hunt with cannot hear the drum or should I say know to listen for it.....raising turkeys when I was younger is something that certainly helped me in the spring woods.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

My fathers ears are tuned lower than most guys I know. One year on opening day we got settled in our spot for the morning. It was real early about an hour before we were expecting the first gobble. As soon as we sat down he said he could hear a bird drumming. I knew he could hear birds drumming a long ways off but I kinda had my doubts. However the direction he was hearing the drumming was the same area we were expecting the first gobble. Again I kinda had my doubts but as it got lighter the bird gobbled right where he was hearing the drumming, he turned and laughed and said "I told ya"!! The bird was over 200 yards away!! From that day on when he said he heard drumming I didn't doubt him!! I can hear drumming and as that bird got closer I could hear him tuning up the guitar but not like my dad!! His ears can pick up low bass sounds alot further than most.
Pass the biscuits!!
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I can hear it and has helped me kill a few. I have heard it at over 100yds. I have 2 buddies who cant and it drives them nuts that I can.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
savduck

Post by savduck »

I'm very hard of hearing. I've heard a handful but not many. I think a gobbler can control it like just like the intensity of his gobble. I've worked one gobbler on public land that you could hear spitting and drumming from 75 to 80 yards away...it would make your chest vibrate, we nick named him Thundergut. Then I've had others at 20 yards barely spitting and drumming.

The few I have heard, also keyed me in to the location of his approve. I knew which side to keep the gun on. You can feel it in your chest a lot of times.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Humidity also plays a big part in how far you can hear a turkey drum. I usually have no problem picking up on it, but I hunt with some people who can't hear it at all.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I can hear the low-register drumming and gobbling well, but my achilles heal is high-pitched noises. I've got a couple of friends that can't hear the low registers well and usually don't hear drumming, and are limited as to how far they can hear gobbling. That would be a real bummer.
There are some guys that hunt the same areas we do and will constantly complain about not hearing any gobbling. I know it is because they cannot hear well in those registers. Sometimes I will go out with one of them once in a while to see if they can hear birds gobbling that I can hear. Often, they cannot, and I just tell them to get some hearing aids or make sure they hunt with someone that can hear. For a turkey hunter, that has got to be a real handicap, not to mention it would take away alot of the thrill of the hunt.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

That's pretty interesting about the humidity. You sound like you know a thing or two about turkeys!! It also helps the terrain you hunt. Alot of times in open pines I can hear them drumming a lot further than down in a swamp. And alot of times I hear them better in the tree then once they hit the ground with all that cover in between us.

I remember growing up turkey hunting with old timers and they all used to say the same thing, "jakes don't drum". It took a few years for me to have absolute evidence that no matter a birds age all male turkeys can and will drum!
Pass the biscuits!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

ole5beards wrote:That's pretty interesting about the humidity. You sound like you know a thing or two about turkeys!!
I hunted with a young gun one time and I couldn't hear any drumming because of his constant calling.
Double Naught Spy!
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I bet he was a good looking dude!!
Pass the biscuits!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Yep, once he took off them funny looking glasses. But he did have a funny smell about him though.
Double Naught Spy!
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I got this strange feeling those glasses might show back up soon!
Pass the biscuits!!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

I think some turkeys do it and some dont depending on the situation and maybe your toms arent doing it.
I have heard it more with lone toms than toms that come in with hens or a brother tom.
about 80% of toms Ive killed didnt spit or drum.
Maybe because I killed them before they got the chance to do it.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

If he's strutting chances are good he's also drumming.
Double Naught Spy!

Return to “Hunt Strategies”