What would you have done?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: What would you have done?

Post by hawglips »

MKW wrote:In reality, had it been me and my son, I would have shot the turkey myself and told my son that he needs to get himself together faster. Granted, I believe in "hard lessons" for my son when it comes to hunting. Just my way...I don't believe in making it easy for kids.

Mike
I also think making it easy for kids can be the wrong way to go sometimes. But it's not real clear where to draw the line. So, be careful how you teach that particular lesson, because a kid can very easily take it the wrong way if not handled right. I know a 55 year old who still talks about how Dad used to tell us "get up there and shoot this one", but then would turn around shoot them (quail) before we could get on them, to this day. The lesson learned by his two sons was a different one than intended in that particular case.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Yep, I got it. I'm not mean, but I try to let him know that his actions while hunting will determine his success or failure. I've told the story before, but once when he was 8yrs old, we were turkey hunting and we were "trolling" when we heard a strong gobble pretty close in response to my cutting. We fell right down against a tree and I had the turkey coming really fast. The last gobble was within gun range, but we could not see the turkey yet. Andy then said, " Daddy, I've got to move cause my butt hurts." (He was sitting between my legs.) I told him, "You can't move now...he's CLOSE. Be still." Well, Andy shifted a little and we heard the dreaded PUTT PUTT and the turkey(a real swinger) skirted us just out of range. Andy was really upset and at the point of tears. I looked at him and said, "Son, I know you are upset now, but you're gonna be even more upset when I kill that turkey tomorrow." That was Saturday and I killed that turkey on Monday morning. Andy has been like a statue in the woods from that day on. He learned what still means. I guess I kinda created a monster cause now, at 13, he laughs at folks that turkey hunt from blinds. He says, "That ain't turkey hunting."
That's my boy!

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

I never used a blind...but to each his own. Some like to use decoys, some don't. Remember, what you teach your kid now will be etched into his mind forever.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Ray used a blind so that his Son could experience and learn a few things about hunting. Ray also stated he now takes his son hunting with out the blind. Its a process and learning experience for children no matter how you do it.
A blind is a valuable tool for parents when first introducing youngins to Turkey or Deer hunting. JMO.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I wasn't trying to make this about hunting in a blind at all. Many guys start their kids off by hunting in blinds. That's fine by me, but I wasn't gonna do it that way. I won't hunt that way and niether will my son if he's hunting with me. I always figured that if my kid couldn't be still, he had no business turkey hunting. That experience we had will be etched in his mind forever...and he's a better hunter for it. Over the last 4 years, he has learned how to hunt turkeys, not just shoot them. There are many different ways to turkey hunt, but the only way I can teach him is MY WAY.

Ray, I was certainly not trying to belittle your hunt in any way. My apologies if it came across that way. The only thing that went wrong was that the turkey left the area... alive.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

MKW wrote: Andy then said, " Daddy, I've got to move cause my butt hurts." (He was sitting between my legs.) I told him, "You can't move now...he's CLOSE. Be still." Well, Andy shifted a little and we heard the dreaded PUTT PUTT and the turkey(a real swinger) skirted us just out of range. Andy was really upset and at the point of tears. I looked at him and said, "Son, I know you are upset now, but you're gonna be even more upset when I kill that turkey tomorrow." That was Saturday and I killed that turkey on Monday morning. Andy has been like a statue in the woods from that day on. He learned what still means. I guess I kinda created a monster cause now, at 13, he laughs at folks that turkey hunt from blinds. He says, "That ain't turkey hunting."
That's my boy!

Mike
Great story!

Sounds like he learned that lesson well!

Return to “Hunt Strategies”