how often do you kill one standing up?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: how often do you kill one standing up?

Post by guesswho »

I think all this sitting to kill one (nothing wrong with it by any means), comes from seeing how it's done on tv. For me standing adds another element of excitement, plus I feel more confident once I decide to make a move if I'm standing vs. sitting. I don't know if staying on my feet more helps me kill more birds or not, but I do know it helps me not spook as many.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
outlaw

Post by outlaw »

I set up on 1 last year worked him for 2hrs he shut up and i set there for another 40 min then stood up and started to move and heard him drumming just over the bank next thing hes there 10yards away a min went by which seemed longer and he went in full stru when he turned i rose gun and he caught a load of tss to the head i guess should have set longer but was cramping bad
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

outlaw wrote:I set up on 1 last year worked him for 2hrs he shut up and i set there for another 40 min then stood up and started to move and heard him drumming just over the bank next thing hes there 10yards away a min went by which seemed longer and he went in full stru when he turned i rose gun and he caught a load of tss to the head i guess should have set longer but was cramping bad

Do you need some Midol ? :bootyshake:
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

That's a method I haven't employed very often, but I think there would be a few more dead gobblers if I thought to do so when the topography called for it...such as thick brush or rough terrain with lots of dips and swales. Some of those gnarly Florida swamps loaded with cypress knees come to mind as ideal places to do that standing set-up thing.
scott ellis

Post by scott ellis »

Once this year in South Carolina-

THE STANDER UPPER BIRD! LOL
gobbler336

Post by gobbler336 »

an old florida turkey killer told me that you had to sometimes, he said right when he gobbled was the time to stand, i have killed a few standing but most weren't intentional. an example was this past april, i got off work that morining and headed into a local public land spot, i called, a bird gobbled but was across a creek. i headed to him and called again to make sure of his position, he was a further in and over a hill, but my stomach was rumbling, i wanted to make it to that hill but when i got to the base i just had to answer natures call, all the while though this bird is getting antsy at this unresponsive hen and every gobble is getting closer, about the time i finish and pull the pants up i hear him in the leaves, i pull the gun up and look up the hill, one good cluck and he stuck his head over, ya'll know the rest.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

I've never killed one standing, that I remember, but about every other scenario, yes. Killed one laying on my back, which I will never want to do again. That 3 1/2 load tore the butt of my 1187 up my chest to my shoulder leaving a black/green/blue bruise making it look like I got hit with a baseball bat.
ImageImageImage
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

One of the drawbacks of shooting one standing up is getting and holding your gun up.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

hawglips wrote:One of the drawbacks of shooting one standing up is getting and holding your gun up.
Most times I have a tree in my face and just take a rest on it. If you get caught without a tree it can prove to be a bit awkward.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I got caught in wide open hardwoods one time with a backpack full of stuff in my left hand and an approaching turkey at 55 yds. Very awkward, not to mention painful in the left shoulder after about a minute...
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Ive killed 3 this way including my first, me and my brother were in wayne co. TN and had some birds gobblin. We took off toward them and hit the call to get a more precise location, they gobbled and we headed into some burnt pines towards the pasture they were in. About 50 yards in 4 gobblers were walking towards us at 40 yards 3 cut up the hill and 1 down. I was behind my bro and eased my gun to my shoulder and he eased back a little and ducked fast enough for me to wack the loner.
paintbrush

Post by paintbrush »

Once. Was out in SD a couple years back on a Merriams hunt and had a gobbler just over a rise that just would not commit and come over that rise high enough for me to get a decent shot at him with me sitting on my bottom side. Every once in a while I could see just the top of his fan as he would strutt back and forth over that rise. After this went for what seemed like a half hour or so, I had enough and easied my way up the tree trunk as he was strutting away from me. When he turned back my way again and closed to within 35 yards, I gave him a proper dirt nap!
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

I think every bird I've killed, he was standing up... :scratch:
"INFIDEL"
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

does this count?

I walked into a woods on a very, very windy day. hotter than a 2 dollar pistol. so windy I used a kee kee whistle every 50 yards and then leped on my mouth call.

I walked aprox 150 yards into the woods and out of the corner of woods and field, that butts up to another woods came a gobbler running towards me. I had just hit the kee kee and was looking at the call when I seen him in my periphial and looked up. he skidded to a stop less than 10 yards from and commenced to running where he came from. my Ithaca 20 was up and in scope I somehow got him centered and squeezed off a shell. He looked like he flew into the woods, I couldnt tell if the shot flopped him or if it was a clean miss with him gliding to safety. walked up to the edge, and there he laid less than 3' into the woods.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

hoobilly wrote:does this count?

I walked into a woods on a very, very windy day. hotter than a 2 dollar pistol. so windy I used a kee kee whistle every 50 yards and then leped on my mouth call.

I walked aprox 150 yards into the woods and out of the corner of woods and field, that butts up to another woods came a gobbler running towards me. I had just hit the kee kee and was looking at the call when I seen him in my periphial and looked up. he skidded to a stop less than 10 yards from and commenced to running where he came from. my Ithaca 20 was up and in scope I somehow got him centered and squeezed off a shell. He looked like he flew into the woods, I couldnt tell if the shot flopped him or if it was a clean miss with him gliding to safety. walked up to the edge, and there he laid less than 3' into the woods.
I'd say so,
"INFIDEL"
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

I tried to do it last week and it bit me in the arse! Had to keep my gun (SP10) extended for longer than I wanted to and my arms got fatigued. When I finally got a clear shot I was wobbling freehanded and missed.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Killed another standing on Saturday. I still prefer sitting if I can...
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

If they're squatting on the limb, is that the same as standing up? :toothy7:
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

looking back I ain't killed many for some reason I'm thinking two from a standing position
NECKRINGER

Post by NECKRINGER »

In the past 5 years or so I have noticed I shoot more and more standing. Prolly more often than not.
I have been caught in open woods and had to take a very long time to raise gun, I have waited till they went behind tree and raised it fast sometimes alerting hens. when i say fast i mean just a gradual movement. I dont do anything with and explosive movement unless in a real bind.
I usually walk at em picking my next tree, bush or whatever before my advance sometimes I get to use this as a rest and sometimes not.
I have stood behind real big tree raised gun pointed at tree then leaned out and shot bird a few times.
I like the advantage of an elevated position or when my eyes are higher. Since I am addicted to long barrel guns standing or squatting behind a tree often makes it tuff to get barrel out and around and sometimes I have to go from one side of tree to other. however, I would rather be camoed up standing behind a tree then sitting on a stool in front of a tree. I have put my face slap up against more then once as turkeys passed.
I think I am actually getting to a point where I like to see what I can get away with and how much I can move. It seems to trigger a bit more excitment in my brain or something
Dont start a fire in the woods you cant stomp out...it may come back and burn your a$$

Hey guesswho guesswhat
blade

Post by blade »

Not often, but hand full of times over the years.
snapper1982

Post by snapper1982 »

2 that i recall. one ended well for me and the other ended well for the bird that would have been the biggest i ever killed. a tight pattern at 18 steps did not work out in my favor.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I could've shot one standing on a limb last Saturday, but I let him fly down. After chasing after his feathered butt for 4 hours and never seeing him again after seeing him standing and strutting on the limb, I wish I had shot him when I had the chance. ;) I made 3 moves looping around him and he came within 50 yards rattling his gobble at me in two different locations, but I never saw him either time. Gil

Return to “Hunt Strategies”