how often do you kill one standing up?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I haven't done it too often, but there are times when the situation calls for shooting him while I'm on my feet. I'm not talking about running into one while you're walking, but one that you're actually working.

I killed one this year that I called in with my feet. That was a first for me, but I imagine I'll be using that call again in the future... About 3 or 4 years back I had called in a timid 2 year old that just wouldn't come out from behind the briars about 30 yds away. So once I get fed up with his obstinance, I just stood up and shot him. The last one before that was about 10 or 11 years ago. I was moving to set up on a gobbling bird, and I had to just stand there in the wide open after I heard him coming through the open hardwoods too close to allow me to move again.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: how often do you kill one standing up?

Post by gophert »

Hal,

I had to shoot at one off-hand while standing this year at 20 steps. In my rush to get the shot off, I MISSED CLEANLY! So...I prefer NOT to do that, especially knowing that my pattern is pretty small at that distance. After 25 years of turkey hunting, that was my first time.

Tim
Splittoe

Post by Splittoe »

I have once. I was moving in on a bird through some thick stuff and he gobbled at my footsteps at about 50 yards away. I leaned against a small tree and gave him a soft yelp or two and about 2 minutes later I shot him as soon as I could see him at about 15-20 yards. I knew he was real close so I was afraid to sit down and standing offered a better vantage point.
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

I've killed a few from my feet including one this past Spring. It's not very often and I try to avoid those situations where I may have to jump up and shoot.

I also had a first for me this year which was killing one that was "on the wing". Something else I doubt I'll do too often.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I only remember one that I killed standing upright. But I killed one after easing up on two knees and three kneeling on one knee, but stretching up as far as I could. None of those shots are very steady and amount to shooting offhand. The rest, my bottom was firmly planted on the ground or a chair or stool, which sure is steadier.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

sometimes if im walking and calling and i get shock gobbled and have no where to sit down, i will go to my knees and get behind a tree. if it calls for it I will stand up...I have done it many times.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I think all of them I killed were standing up or strutting.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Struttinhusker

Post by Struttinhusker »

This past season I moved from where I was sitting to a big tree that was between me and a gobbler strutting in a field. I shot him standing with my gun positioned in a low crotch in the trunk. I do remember missing once while standing by a tree.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Don't make a habit standing, but sometimes you have to, to be able to see the bird if he locks up close and you can't see him.
The one that stands up in my mind the most though, is walking into a known roosting place in the eve to roost one.
After listening for awhile, I yelped a few times, and one gobbled very close, and came running in.
LOL, almost did not have time to get the sling off my shoulder. Turned out to be the largest turkey I took that year. 23lbs, 11.5 beard, with 1.5 spurs.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I've killed a few standing up. Like most it was because I got to close to move or he got to close for me to move. It's not a recommended situation. I killed my big gobbler in MO last year by kneeling up to my knees. I had my back against a tree that was in a little bottom with a creek running thru it. I heard the infamous Chkk Voooooommmmm directly behind me in a field. There was plenty of cover to hide my movement so I rolled over to my knees and got my gun positioned right. Then kneeled up and peeked into the field behind me and there was 2 gobblers within 25 yards standing there. Neither heard or saw me move. I tried to putt him out of strut but he didn't go for it but he did turn broadside so I could see his head real good. Bad day for him.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Two with a gun I remember standing up to get a shot. I have killed two standing up with a bow behind a cedar. When he got close, I drew, and eased around cedar edge for the shot. I have also screwed that method up a few times.
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

3 so far...both of my merriams and a seminole ranch bird...can't think of any others...
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I'd estimate about 30% of mine are killed while I'm standing and about another 10% while I'm kneeling. I spend more time on my feet than my butt, but not running and spooking, or what ever they call it.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Nothing like when that truck pulls away and the look on that gobblers face when he sees you standing in the road 30 yards away. :thumbup:
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Nothing like when that truck pulls away and the look on that gobblers face when he sees you standing in the road 30 yards away. :thumbup:
:lol:
savduck

Post by savduck »

ive done it to or three times.
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Only a few times, try not to but sometimes it just works out that way. This year I missed one because I stood up and never beared down on the gun and shot too quick. I was a little rattled, I had two birds within 20 yards for 15 minutes gobbling their guts out. The whole time I had some palmetos between me the them.
"INFIDEL"
wbpc

Post by wbpc »

Have killed a few standing up, mostly due to it being thick and bushy where I was hunting. Have had several instance where it would have benefited me to be standing but I did not realize it soon enough.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Never had done it. Probably could have with a couple of them but I know what can happen when I do not have the gun in a good position.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The last one I tried to shoot while I was standing resulted in the dreaded Benelli "click".
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

The first one I shot this year I was standing, the only other one or two happened in the 90's. I killed a few from my belly and knees.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

dirt road ninja wrote:The first one I shot this year I was standing, the only other one or two happened in the 90's. I killed a few from my belly and knees.
Forgot that we were standing for that, lol!
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

A good bit
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

One trick I learned from an old timer who stood often was to lean against a tree with the non-shooting shoulder. The shotgun is held barrel down on a log or stick to keep the muzzle clear. Otis would often stand among the gallberries where vision would be obstructed if one was sitting. He killed a lot of birds with this technique.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

I have not yet been able to pull it off. I did kill one this year that was over a crest in a corn field. It was raining and I was up and down many times so I could get his bearings. When he was coming I sat, but looking back I could of just standed there and probably killed him.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”