Staying in Shape for Bird Season

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Staying in Shape for Bird Season

Post by Turkey Talker »

Well, we all know that being a dedicated turkey hunter, one must be well fit and have enough stamina to chase em down and do it without the smallest anticipation. Even if the bird has you into the 5 to 10 mile mark of follow/get around on him game.
Last season I almost died when I tried to hit the mountain bike through the woods...So now I figured it's time to take life by the reigns and take control of that problem to be free of puny-man syndrome.

Anyways, Today I started P90x. @ 193 lbs. We will see how it goes. Hopefully I don't get into any time constraints w/ school and clinical time. Im really motivated and want to put my body to the test. I haven't done any type of work-out or PT since I was in the military (got out in 05') so today was hell. I almost puked three times.:lol:

I have thrown out all the garbage food and put myself on a high protein low cal/fat diet.

I will post pics every 30 days.
Day 1 is over and I feel it everywhere. :thumbup:

Anyone else workout?

-TT
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Staying in Shape for Bird Season

Post by Grumpy »

Nope, no sir, I use my Jack Lalane juicer to mix milk shakes.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Cardio/kickboxing on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Resistance training on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I drink beer and lay around on Sundays. :D
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Same as stinky, but in reverse order, without the cardio, resistance :lol:
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Don't let Tice fool you.......he is my Spokesmodel for my Prostaff!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Exercise bike 6 days a week and weights 2-3 days a week except during grouse season, then nothing else is required. At age 51 and with two artificial heart valves, I want to keep doing what I love (hunting), so I work hard to stay in as good a shape as I can.
jrseale82

Post by jrseale82 »

You are going to feel like you know what. I tried p90x but for some reason I cannot work out at home. I go do the gym several times a week. The day after I started p90x I couldnt hold the phone to my ear. Good luck.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

12oz curls 7days a week. Now I do a few more reps on the weekends but feel that consistency is the key. This is such a specialized workout that its not for everyone, but it works for me.

:toothy7:

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

I've done P90x three times and you will get awesome results if you stick with the complete plan. However get ready...you will hate ur life while doing plyometrics...good luck! Bring it!

Sent from my tweaked out EVO LTE
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

I am used to the 12 oz curls. I realized I was wasting my money while I was getting fat and trying to chase a buzz. Can't get drunk anymore unless I hit the hard stuff.
Anyways, this morning I woke up and couldn't lift my arms above my head. Stretched and stretched still in horrible pain. Started plyometrics and puked 35 minutes into it. Took a ten minute break and couldn't complete the workout. Next week its on. Plyometrics kills you. Holy crap!
What a way to start off the day.

Morning Wieght 190

-TT
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I walk a few times a week, and keep an eye on my weight. I try to keep it at 150-160.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I never gain weight but am a cardiovascular train wreck in the winter.. Last winter I started running on a treadmill for 30 minutes a day for a primer.. Was a great Idea when we hit the woods on our trip hunting for 12 hours a day walking never was sore.. By the end of turkey season I am in awesome shape, just no will to keep it going.

Now I am back to being out of shape.. Boy oh boy hauling huge bags of goose dekes in the field is killing me...

I am now on the John Doe plan till January.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Think I should get a patent on it before someone else registers it?

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Johndoe wrote:Think I should get a patent on it before someone else registers it?

John
Too late MKW patented it about 8 years ago on the NWTF board, except his goes a step further than yours, he adds pizza every night. :lol:

Return to “Hunt Strategies”