worst shortcomings in the turkey woods?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
wiltznucs

Re: worst shortcomings in the turkey woods?

Post by wiltznucs »

I call too much, particularly early in the season. My other weakness is I can't use a diaphragm caller worth a squat. I don't think it's cost me any birds yet, but using friction when they are close can be tricky business.
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

Sometimes I spend too much time on a bird when others are more willing die, other times I don't spend enough time on one. I call too much sometimes when a bird is coming, but I love to hear them gobble. I will move too fast on ground I know trying to get to a spot and get busted from time to time. Over the past few years I've gotten much better at waiting them out, but would like to work on slowing everything down more.
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Contolling my shaking and breathing when a bird is coming in. My knees start shaking really bad. It is a fever I have and cannot get rid or it nor do I want to. That excitement is what made me fall in love with turkey hunting.

Early in the season, not knowing when to shut up with calling. Cost me and dirt road ninja a couple of birds the first evening I was in MS. I get excited at the first gobbles of the season and can get carried away.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

davisd9 wrote:Contolling my shaking and breathing when a bird is coming in. My knees start shaking really bad. It is a fever I have and cannot get rid or it nor do I want to. That excitement is what made me fall in love with turkey hunting.

Early in the season, not knowing when to shut up with calling. Cost me and dirt road ninja a couple of birds the first evening I was in MS. I get excited at the first gobbles of the season and can get carried away.

my worst shortcoming is not getting enough woods time due to work/kid restraints.
Basser69

Post by Basser69 »

Grover wrote:Patience, or lack of it.... and falling asleep. One fixes the other.

This is me X 2 :violent1:
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I too have a hard time walking away from a bird. As long as I know he's there then he is killable. Even when not gobbling much I still can't give up.

It's not much of a problem now but a wise man once told me 2 of the most important words anyone person as ever told me "Slow Down". Not just with movement or calling but in general slow down. He also said take what you do now and slow it down by 50%. And it has made a difference. I know think better and seem to make better decisions, which have resulted in more dead birds!
Pass the biscuits!!
West Augusta

Post by West Augusta »

All the above except the hearing.
turkeykiller12

Post by turkeykiller12 »

PATIENCE!!!
Team Dixie
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Rushing the shot, and moving when I shouldn't. I was as steady as a rock when shooting at my deer (fell apart after), but turkeys cause such an adrenaline rush, I'm not always perfectly steady when I pull the trigger. It's cost me alot of birds. Gotta fix that this year.
outlaw

Post by outlaw »

i take it to serious instead of relaxing it becomes a obbsession :wink:
ccleroy

Post by ccleroy »

I'm getting fatter, where does that rank.....lol

Seriously I'm getting back in the gym next week to get back in shape for this season. Lol
3toe

Post by 3toe »

Hearing probably, too many dove hunts as a youth without ear plugs. I can hear and range gobbling perfect, but I can't hear a turkey drum. I know what it sounds like, I found a youtube vidoe with a turkey drumming and had to put in headphones and turn it up to hear it. I guess that range of hearing is shot for me. Been hunting with a buddy and him saying "He's coming, the drumming is getting closer" and all I hear is slience.
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

ccleroy wrote:I'm getting fatter, where does that rank.....lol

Seriously I'm getting back in the gym next week to get back in shape for this season. Lol
Me too! I hear round is a shape! If that's true, than I'm all set! :thumbup:
Rockhound

Post by Rockhound »

Calling to much, not getting close enough to the roost , and not moving position when i know for a fact i should
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I have two big weaknesses.
The first is that I stick with the tactics that work for me most of the time rather than trying enough "unconventional tactics" when working a difficult bird.
The second is that I will try "unconventional tactics" too often when working a difficult bird when I should have just stuck to the tactics that work for me most of the time.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
FireStrut

Post by FireStrut »

Like many my patience is lacking.
Brian
GSLAM95
Location: Southern Illinois - NOTE: Chicago is not part of IL by our choice!

Post by GSLAM95 »

GobbleNut wrote:I have two big weaknesses.
The first is that I stick with the tactics that work for me most of the time rather than trying enough "unconventional tactics" when working a difficult bird.
The second is that I will try "unconventional tactics" too often when working a difficult bird when I should have just stuck to the tactics that work for me most of the time.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

GOOD ANSWER!! :toothy7:
When in doubt,show up early. Think less. Feel more. Ask once. Give thanks often. Expect the best. Appreciate everything. Never give up. Make it fun. Lead. Invent. Regroup. Wink. Chill. Smile. And live as if your success was inevitable, and so it shall be.
Grizzly Johnson

Post by Grizzly Johnson »

I'd say my 2 worst habits are.... constantly second guessing what I am doing while waiting to lay eyes him..... knowing when to make it happen or sit still and wait on it to happen.

I hate coming out empty handed.... like a good return on my investments.... If I come out empty handed, the turkey has won.... I hate failing.....

I know it's just hunting.... just a mental quirk of mine....
Revenge is an act of passion; vengeance of justice. Injuries are revenged; crimes are avenged.
customcutter

Post by customcutter »

Let's see, I'm short, fat, and balding. Don't make enough money, can't see, can't hear, smell bad, and probably don't wear the right camo. I call too much or not enough, too soft or too loud, should have at least 20-30 more slate and box calls. I've only got 3 turkey guns, an O/U, pump, and auto-loader all in 12 gauge and a dozen chokes for them, I need at least 5-6 more and then the same things in 20 gauge.

Other than that I can't for the life of me figure out why the good Lord's blessed me to kill 1-2 birds a year for the past 10-15 years. Only took me 7 years before I was able to call the first hen in.

CC
BigEz

Post by BigEz »

For me, not being aggressive enough. I have to mental force myself to move closer on a bird because I'm always afraid of bumping him. Which means I'm probably still not getting close enough to either birds roosted or on the ground. My second weakness is just generally being to afraid to ask people for permission to hunt, which means I don't have that many places to go. I have found it to be difficult to kill turkeys when only have 12 acres to hunt lol.
The SPURSUADER

Post by The SPURSUADER »

ole5beards wrote:I too have a hard time walking away from a bird. As long as I know he's there then he is killable. Even when not gobbling much I still can't give up.

It's not much of a problem now but a wise man once told me 2 of the most important words anyone person as ever told me "Slow Down". Not just with movement or calling but in general slow down. He also said take what you do now and slow it down by 50%. And it has made a difference. I know think better and seem to make better decisions, which have resulted in more dead birds!
THIS!!!! I mainly hunt public land and I'm not going to leave a Turkey to go find a Turkey!!! Patience will pay off on such Birds...Just sweet talk him in low tones and stay ready...On stubborn Birds like these...scratching in the leaves is all you need to do...They will come and if not...then that means I get to try again tomorrow!!!
SPURSUADER Custom Calls...Call'em in and Carry'em out!!
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I have to work on suppressing my intensity when I'm hunting with other folks.
pullit
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pullit »

When "Plan A" does not work, 2nd, 3rd, 4th,5th, guessing what I should do next.
I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have no need for a 30-06, I have a shotgun
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

WELL, where to start... my son accuses me of "sitting and watching grass grow for days on end"...guess he wants me to run and gun..but I've been down that road for 45 years of chasin' em'.....maybe there's such a thing as too much patience...but I'll stick with my shortcoming!!
redleg06

Post by redleg06 »

Usually over-thinking a situation.... trying to "logic" my way to a decision.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”