Rain

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
3toe

Rain

Post by 3toe »

Since I brought up hunting in the wind lets discuss rain.

I love hunting in a slow rain. My confidence goes up double if I am hunting and get a slow drizzle. Add a few thunder rolls and I am happier. I'll start slipping roads and glassin fields and almost always find birds. Those thunder rolls almost always yank a gobble.

Anybody else like hunting in the rain?
savduck

Re: Rain

Post by savduck »

Nope, to many non windy, non rainy days that can be hunted. Rainy days are good for staying home and...um, keeping momma happy.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Rain

Post by drenalinld »

Light rain. Absolutely. Heavy rain, I sit in the truck. I love the hour or two right after a heavy rain.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

In Mi. if you dont hunt in the wind and rain you may not get to hunt. Seasons are too short to sit home watching the weather channel.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

i don't mind light or heavy rain just as long as the lightning isn't dancing everywhere. I fear being struck! I had lightning touch down 10 feet in front of me a few years back and singed all the hairs off of my face and legs. not to mention my ear drums took a dump for a couple days. :lol:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Light rain usually equals dead gobbler.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

If it's really hot I pray for a light rain. The thunder does get them gobbling for me also.
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

If I am hunting around my home and it starts raining, I usually just go home and do something else. If am off on a hunt and it starts raining, that is the one time I will set up a pop-up blind and get in it. I killed one last season out of a pop-up on a rainy day.

But given a choice, I'd much rather have a pretty day. So far, I've never been given a choice. :)
N2deer

Post by N2deer »

It seems my odds go up very much in a light rain, or the night after a heavy rain/ storms.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I much prefer nice weather, but I don't skip a beat in light rain or snow. I'll wait out a heavy rain and try to get out there as soon as it stops. Seems like they like to gobble good right after a storm stops precipitating.
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

I like hunting in it just as you describe OP. But when it gets heavy it sucks. For some reason I always get caught in the heavy stuff at least twice a season.
pedro
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by pedro »

Killed many birds in the rain. I love when it rains the night before a morning hunt. It makes the ground quiet for slipping through the woods. It also puts birds in predictable locations. I find them in open areas drying off and getting away from the dripping in the forest. It also keeps people home. When hunting public land less is always more for me and my rainwear.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I think it matters most what type of rain it is and how it comes.. If it comes on a cold front it shuts our birds down.. If it comes as a normal passing shower or thunderstorm with no looming front hunting can be good before, during if the rains light and especially after..

A few years back Sal and I rolled into a spot and had a gobbler roosted. It was O dark thirty.. The looming storm was thundering in the distance and the bird was quardruple gobbling non stop.. Even Knowing their eyesight stinks in the dark we decided not to venture across the 200 yard long field to the gobbler because every 5 seconds lightning made it look like daylight and set up against the biggest tree in the middle of the field.. As the storm proceeded and lightning struck all around us, Sal moved 10 feet off the tree.. I about died laughing and said "Honey the roots of this maple go probably 30 yards".. Dang she was freaked out.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

light rain is the cats meow for deer. I will still hunt in rain for turkey, but not in a down pour.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Hunt Strategies”