High wind

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
3toe

High wind

Post by 3toe »

I am sure you guys have discussed this before, but being a new guy on the board I thought I would ask again.

Neither rain, sleet, snow, weddings or funerals will keep me from going turkey hunting. I have turkey hunted in lightning storms before. But high wind will sure enough make me stand there on the porch thinking if I am going. I have killed very few in high wind and I think most of them were the turkey gods smiling down on me for my persistence.

How do you guys hunt turkeys in high wind? High I mean 25+mph steady. I have on several occasions slipped an entire hunting club checking bottoms, thickets, creeks, fields, powerlines, and even dug out a couple fox holes to see if they were hiding in there. Around here they just seem to vanish altogether in high wind.

I sure would like to hear where you guys are finding wind turkeys and how you hunt them.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: High wind

Post by GLS »

With GA having one of the longest spring seasons in the county, if the wind is howling when I get up, I get back in the bed and catch up on sleep. Same with rain. I pick my days. Gil
dirt road ninja

Post by dirt road ninja »

I hadn't had much luck in the wind either. I camp out on them in adverse weather conditions, it’s not the most popular way to hunt them, but it can be effective. I will use decoys a little more when it’s windy as well. Even when it’s windy a turkey is still a turkey and will spend the vast majority of the day on his feet eating, breeding, or trying to do both. Knowing that gives me a shred of hope that one will haplessly wander by me. I get limited days to hunt and my birds are far from my house I go no matter what the weather is doing.
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

I haven't had a lot of luck in the wind either.. I do hunt in the woods when the wind gets howling. I figure that the turkeys probably wont be on the field edges when it is blowing. :turkeywave:
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
FullChoke

Post by FullChoke »

If I am hunting a windy day, I find that I can slip around undetected more easily due to my sound being muffled and the general movement of everything in the woods. I also try to anticipate where I think birds might be and get upwind of them. Calling carries much better with the wind than it does against it, although hearing a response may be more difficult.

If no one hunted when it was windy, there would be no turkeys shot in the entire state of Texas.

Cheers.

FullChoke
Central MS
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

Slip hunt 100% for me when it's windy as described here. When I get a visual then I set up. Either that or I go home early and rest up for the next morn.
ArkansasDon

Post by ArkansasDon »

wont waste my time in the high winds
Camo Solutions http://www.camo-solutions.com
Red Hawk Archery Pro Staff http://www.redhawk-archery.com
savduck

Post by savduck »

GLS wrote:With GA having one of the longest spring seasons in the county, if the wind is howling when I get up, I get back in the bed and catch up on sleep. Same with rain. I pick my days. Gil

Me TOO. Wind sucks.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

High wind

Post by drenalinld »

Yes, now that I have children and limited hunting days. Killed a great bird in AR last year in 25 mph winds. 90% of my midwest hunts are in wind.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

i love high winds! easy to sneak around in the woods. use a high frequency call on a windy day, get close to a tom and he ends up dinner.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

High wind

Post by drenalinld »

They are in fields and open areas more when the wind blows to rely more on their eyesight since hearing is diminished. In the hills I find them on the downwind side where the wind is less noticeable.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I despise wind as well.. Nothing worse than getting up and goin out side and realizing the day befores wind has not died.

Hunting outwest and living in a noted wind vane back home you have to deal with it.. I do the same thing I do most every day but hunt slower, glass more, call louder and more frequently.

IME if you can find a gobbler on a very windy day he is feeling the same urgency as you are in finding a hen as you are in finding him and makes him pretty easy.. But the trick is lucking in to him.
N2deer

Post by N2deer »

drenalinld wrote:They are in fields and open areas more when the wind blows to rely more on their eyesight since hearing is diminished. In the hills I find them on the downwind side where the wind is less noticeable.

This is my experience.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

If you know the lay of the land, wind can be beat.

take for instance, I grabbed my .22 on a really windy day to go check my food plots. Walked into the woods and when I got near a bowl on the far side of the woods, I noticed a flock of turkeys. Went and got my bow, and had them in my lap and missed a hen. shot clipped her wing feathers and deflected my shot as she zig zagged. Left, hour later, they were back in the wind break.

years before that, I kilt a good tom by hunting the far side of a woods. it was still windy, but nothing as severe as the other side. Gobbler was 40 yards and when he gobbled, sounded like 200 yards. he went with the hens, and I crawled down a ditch, crawled on a deer trail and smote that sucker at 20 yards...after hen alarm putted in front of me at 5 yards. I cut hard on my mouth cll, he walked and strutted into the deer path I was on and bang, flop.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Hunt Strategies”