Winch ideas for deer hunting?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Ticeman

Winch ideas for deer hunting?

Post by Ticeman »

I often deer hunt alone, and it becomes an issue with getting deer in the back of the truck when you're alone. I'm thinking that a winch, similar to one mounted on the front of an ATV will do the trick, planning on mounting it inside the back of the truck bed, maybe running a steel bar or plate the span of the bed in front of the wheel wells and mounting it to that. Maybe a 6x6 wood post will work??

It will also be used to drag their butts out of a deep ravine that they always run into after being shot, so I need something with about 75' of cable. Anyone have a set up like this? or ideas?
2ounce6s

Re: Winch ideas for deer hunting?

Post by 2ounce6s »

I just dead lift them by getting up on the tailgate and grabbing a leg or two.....but anything over 160lbs is rare.

Dad made a tray of sorts to ease his loading after he retired and started hunting alone very often some years ago. He took a sheet of plywood and made a 2X4 frame that fit perfectly in the bed of his truck between the fender wells. He bored a hole in the top of the frame and tied in a length of rope. When he killed a deer he'd slide the tray out of the truck bed till it touched the ground. Then he'd pull the deer up on it, tie it's antlers (or around it's neck or feet) to the length of rope at the top, then pick the tray up and slide it into the truck bed. Worked like a champ for him and he was never overloaded even being an slight fella of 160lbs. If your deer are bigger than you can handle that way I'd say the cherry picker is gonna be your best bet.
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

So the dead lift idea ain't gonna work for me, maybe if I was 20 yrs younger and the deer in Iowa didn't weigh 250+ it would work, lol. I'm gonna let a winch do the work this year. :cheers:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Here ya go Tice exactly for your purpose :thumbup:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Monarch- ... l+Products
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I built a gurney type thing, Just 2 8ft. 2x4's (I have an 8ft. box)
spaced 30 inches apart with 1X4's screwed between them for 6 ft. of the 8 ft. length, with about a 2 in. spacing between the 1X4's, then I put 2 old lawnmower wheels on what would be the end next to the cab when it is in the pickup box, here in the flats it is almost a sure thing to be able to drive right up to the deer or antelope, I slide the gurney thing out of the truck but keep the end with the wheelson the tailgate, it is then very easy to slide the deer before gutted up on this thing, belly up and gut it, makes for easy gutting as everything (guts) wants to slide down and out on it's own, then simply grab the 2X4's that are touching the ground, lift and slide into truck box, so easy with the leverage it give you a 8 year old could do it. I know some guys out here that hunt the river breaks and winch out their deer use barbless barbwire for the extension to the winch cable, it is cheap enough to roll back up and even throw it away if it gets kinked to much to use again.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Here ya go Tice exactly for your purpose :thumbup:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Monarch- ... l+Products

nah, that won't help me drag em out of a ravine, I want to push a button on a remote and let it do the work, that's right...I'm lazy.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Northern equipment. 2000lb winch $70. Get a roll of rope for pullin them out of the deep woods. Keep it in your tool box. Most small winches dont have large line capacity.

John

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Johndoe wrote:Northern equipment. 2000lb winch $70. Get a roll of rope for pullin them out of the deep woods. Keep it in your tool box. Most small winches dont have large line capacity.

John

That makes sense, tie the rope to the winch, why didn't I think of that? :compress:
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

As far as loading I like an aluminum ladder cut the same length of my truck bed.Lay the deer on the ladder and lift one end onto the tailgate .Grab the other end and lift and push.You can also fashion an axle and a set of wheels for carting them out of the woods.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I just use a deer cart, but even with that, getting 'em out of a ditch is a PIA. If you find something good, I will come borrow it. ;)
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

HOW ABOUT YOU KILL A DEER FIRST THEN WORRY ABOUT THE SMALL STUFF..................BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :headbang: :headbang:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Oh crap, I'm still laughing...............I think I pissed my pants............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

OK, spend some of that money and get ya a real deer dragger!

Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

CamoMan4025 wrote:HOW ABOUT YOU KILL A DEER FIRST THEN WORRY ABOUT THE SMALL STUFF..................BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :headbang: :headbang:

really numbnuts? you think I hit this one with a car? oh wait...I did...it's called a Five Hundy S&W !

Stupid thing weighed about 600 lbs, and I ain't gonna lie! :shock:
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

MKW shot it for ya.......
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

CamoMan4025 wrote:OK, spend some of that money and get ya a real deer dragger!

My first thought was what real deer. I just remembered may name is John Doe. :o

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Ticeman wrote:
CamoMan4025 wrote:HOW ABOUT YOU KILL A DEER FIRST THEN WORRY ABOUT THE SMALL STUFF..................BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :headbang: :headbang:

really numbnuts? you think I hit this one with a car? oh wait...I did...it's called a Five Hundy S&W !

Stupid thing weighed about 600 lbs, and I ain't gonna lie! :shock:
The gun not the deer?

What's up with that
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Gator trappers have a small winch mounted in the bed of the PU or trailer. They tape up and secure the gator. It is slowly dragged by the winch up two 2 by 6's boards into the bed or trailer. Easy

You could buy one of those plastic deer drags and secure the deer, Then just use the rope and winch cable and drag the deer up and out. Then when your close use the boards and cable and bring it right up into the bed.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”