turkey habits?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Rockhound

turkey habits?

Post by Rockhound »

Do any of you have places that you hunt that the turkeys do the same thing for years and years provided habitat hasnt changed such as same roost and strut zone?
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: turkey habits?

Post by guesswho »

I have several places that fit that description. On these places if I hear a bird gobble in a certain spots there's about an 80% chance I know what he's going to do.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

turkey habits?

Post by drenalinld »

Yes! They tend to go away from my setup and strut just out of range!
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

Yep, that's why I hunt the places I do.... :toothy7: :toothy7:
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I only hunt deep woods, and the mountains, but my turkeys seem to stay in the same general area from years to years. They do move around a bit.
One thing to keep in mind, is they tend to stay close to creeks. That is usually one of thier favorite places to roost.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Pretty much all of them that still have birds. The only thing that changes things a bit later in the season is the agriculture.. They seek out the short fields and crop rotation can change this year to year.

I think turkeys see things different than what we do if things go unchanged and one generation of turkeys find a particular set of roost trees attractive future generations will, if a certain field corner is used for strutting later generations will, if hens find what they seek for nesting future generations will..
3toe

Post by 3toe »

I always seem to find turkeys in the same places year after year. I think turkeys just find certain places appealing. I can kill a gobbler on a certain ridge and there will be another on that ridge inside of a week. Like good bass hole, they all just seem to gravitate to certain areas for reasons they only know.
2ounce6s

Post by 2ounce6s »

Rockhound wrote:Do any of you have places that you hunt that the turkeys do the same thing for years and years provided habitat hasnt changed such as same roost and strut zone?
Absolutely. No crops where I hunt, the habitat changes are mostly clear cuts, burns and regrowth. Clear cuts and burns can quickly turn previously turkey barren spots into hotspots. Regrowth can slowly choke it out with a thick understory. Dunno about the rest of you fellas but a topo map is pretty handy on turkeys for me and a satelite map confirms the timber status on it, well at least to within 2-3 years around here.
Struttinhusker

Post by Struttinhusker »

I have a spot on my property where turkeys roost spring and fall because it has the right kind of trees and there is a good-sized creek that runs through it. Their movement during the day changes somewhat due to crop changes. For years I had great mid-morning success in a somewhat open area tucked between pasture, timber, and cropland, and close to the roost. I could usually count on one or more gobblers returning to that spot after having taken off with the hens early, feeding, strutting, or whatever. But for some reason that hasn't worked out very well the last three seasons. I had to go after them in the fields.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”