Question on Hunting

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
GN1

Question on Hunting

Post by GN1 »

Would you be OK if you showed up at your hunt and realized you forgot your vest? You had your gun and shells and a mouth call you always keep in your vehicle.( Can substitute mouth call with other call but only one.)

No locator calls nothing. Would you say WTF lets go kill him? Or would you go home and get the rest of your stuff?
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Question on Hunting

Post by vaturkey »

I would go kill him !!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Dead turkey..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I've been told I'm far from OK, but what you described wouldn't bother me in the least. Especially if I was hunting Merriams, I could forget my gun and it wouldn't bother me, I'd just pick up a stick and go kill one.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

admit it. everyone would freak out for just a moment....at least a moment....i know i would because i keep my water, food, and maps in my vest, my knife and Flint in my vest, my atenolol for my heart, ibuprofin for body/knee/head/back pains and prevacid for heartburn in my vest....also i keep first aid crap in there too..
call me what you want, but i carry too much sh*t into the woods cause ive been stranded and lost before on public land that i never went into trying to chase a bird down in flat pines (9 hours lost, all of the 14 k acre tract looked the same). If you get injured while in the woods (can happen to anyone) and cannot walk out and have no cell phone reception (everywhere i hunt), you will thank yourself for carrying all that extra garbage.

I dont know about the rest of you, but i go BALLS "DEEP" into the woods, where not many hunters go (either cause their too lazy, or they just cant make it out that far) and where the game think they won the season free from hunters.

I would freak out at first....but, if i know where the birds are, and im not chasing birds into unknown territory, and i know the property well, i would have no problem killing a bird without my vest...i mainly use mouth calls anyways...i can run a mouth call WAY better than any of my other calls.
GN1

Post by GN1 »

I think there are a lot of factors. If you have hunted turkeys a long time you are more apt to go after them. If you are new to turkey hunting you may be more concerned about having your bag of tricks with you.

I know some days they will come to any call and some days they won't come to a variety of calls ... then you pull out one you never use and they love it.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Since the places I hunt turkeys are a minimum of two hours drive from my home, in this scenario, I would definitely go hunting with whatever I had available. Heck, I would even try using my natural voice if I didn't have any calls with me,...and I suck with my natural voice calling.

The one thing I do every time I leave to go turkey hunting is ask myself before I leave, "Do you have your gun, shells, calls, and license?" ....because I can get by if I have those four things, even if I have forgotten something else. I have also gotten into the habit of asking whoever I'm going hunting with the same question before we leave.

Long ago, before I started doing that, I took a guy out hunting before daylight one morning. We drove to where we had gobblers roosted and were preparing to leave the truck when he realized he had not put his gun in the truck. After that, I learned to always ask everybody if they have all their stuff before we leave, and I always ask them specifically if they have those four things.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

That's pretty much the way I hunt all the time. I don't wear a vest. I carry a diaphram, a trumpet, and one pot call in a little case on my belt. Sometimes I throw a hooter on my pocket, but I feel over-loaded when I do that. :)

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

I would get after 'em.
"INFIDEL"
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Yep, go and kill em all.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
FuzzSawyer

Post by FuzzSawyer »

Hognutz wrote:Dead turkey..
Yep.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Do I have my chew :?:

Anymore I would and could do it with a tube..
unclerick

Post by unclerick »

Would depend on if I had paper, shop rag or an old t-shirt in the truck for my mourning constitutional, although I have used just a stick,,,,I'd get after him.
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

If I had just my favorite pot call, I would feel pretty comfortable at this point. If I'm already there, it's too late to go back.
Who knows, it might even work better for me if went minimalistic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Hunt Strategies”