Decoys

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Decoys

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I realize this may get a lot of replys, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I need a new hen decoy and RaspyD told me I should consider getting a gobbler decoy. I had an AVIAN X hen decoy for a couple of years, but it was a POS. It would not hold air and I put all kinds of sealer on it and contacted the company and no luck. I finally tossed it! It was a nice looking decoy with good features, but oh well. So I'm looking at a DSD hen decoy. The gobbler decoy is $200 and I don't think I can swing that. My wife has been unemployed since June. Anyway, any suggestions on a reasonably priced gobbler decoy or even a pair with a gobbler and hen. I don't have to get a DSD hen, but RaspyD has had one for many years and loves it. I don't mind spending a little extra for something that is gonna last and is worth the money.

Thanks,

Kevin
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Decoys

Post by soiltester »

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=17522

If he's still got them .. I'll take the leading hen if you just want the Jake .. love mine and it does the job with my upright hen!!
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Swampstalk

Post by Swampstalk »

I've been looking at the Montana turkey decoys. The are collapsible and seem realistic. Not too expensive for a trio hen, jake, and a one dimensional tom fan. BP has them as well. May order them before season.

Luck with whatever you get,

Swampstalk
Don
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Be honest, I have a dsd hen, guiding needed a decoy for sal. The flextone honestly looks as good as the dsd imo in the field
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Not inflatable but the Primos Gobstopper hen and Jake are great realistic decoys and sold in pairs for under $60 for both, they sure work great for me, check them out on ebay,
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I appreciate all the reply's. After doing more research, it looks like most gobbler decoys are only a half size bird and open in the back. This then eliminates the need for an inflatable decoy. That's the biggest problem I had with the AVIAN X. I like the AVAIN X, Flextone and Primos. I have to go to Richmond for training next week, might slip by Bass Pro and Cabela's and do the ole' feel and touch test!

Thanks again,

Kevin
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

If I could only buy one decoy and it had to be a hen I would get the DSD upright or maybe the leading hen. They did not have the leading hen when I got my upright hen but it looks like it would work. I can say the upright is killer from experience. Everything from old boss toms in spring to fall jennies can't seem to resist her.
Last edited by timbrhuntr on January 20th, 2019, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA »

DSD, buy once and cry once.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

WAGinVA wrote: January 20th, 2019, 8:53 am DSD, buy once and cry once.
I like that philosophy!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

:LMAO:

Say what you will and want .. but so far my DSD jake & upright hen have done wonders for bringing in jakes & tom's & and also I may ad, hen's :thumbup:
Got a deal right from DSD early last fall on another upright hen and buddy got and upright & jake at a super deal on 2nd's that you don't notice the flaw if there is one :lol:

Going to Mexico to see what the Gould's think of them this spring :shock:
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

soiltester wrote: January 20th, 2019, 11:24 am :LMAO:

Say what you will and want .. but so far my DSD jake & upright hen have done wonders for bringing in jakes & tom's & and also I may ad, hen's :thumbup:
Got a deal right from DSD early last fall on another upright hen and buddy got and upright & jake at a super deal on 2nd's that you don't notice the flaw if there is one :lol:

I agree with this statement. If I had to buy 2 decoys, I would go with a Dave Smith upright hen and a Dave Smith jake. Absolutely lethal combo. Expensive yes. Worth it yes! Good luck in what you decide to go with.
dnj21

Post by dnj21 »

VALongbeard wrote: January 20th, 2019, 12:09 pm
soiltester wrote: January 20th, 2019, 11:24 am :LMAO:

I agree with this statement. If I had to buy 2 decoys, I would go with a Dave Smith upright hen and a Dave Smith jake. Absolutely lethal combo. Expensive yes. Worth it yes! Good luck in what you decide to go with.
I have recently been trying to decide what combo of Jake & Hen and in what body position to get myself. Specifically the Upright Hen, why that over feeding or breeding pose? Specifically early (Youth) season here in MO.
Appreciate any knowledge you guys want to share- thank you!!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

I use to have 2 feeding full body plastic carry lite type hens, along with the DSD Jake & upright hen. I got a deal on another DSD upright hen and would have gotten a feeding hen but they were sold out. Eventually I'll get another feeding DSD hen and retire my remaining feeding plastic body one. The other plastic body hen got severely damaged and bottom broken right off by an attack from an ole' struttin ridin' SOB mother hen while 7 jakes watched :LMAO:
I hunt mostly very open cropland and an upright/feeding hen be seen at a distance better than a breeding hen.
They say/claim if a leading hen is used it should be ahead of the jake and both headed in the same direction.
Like I said, I hunt open pasture/cropland and a feeding group set up is a natural for the toms to see often!! :thumbup:
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Well I was able to work some OT and ended up buying a DSD Upright Hen and an AVIAN-X LCD Strutter. I did not want to get another AVIAN-X decoy due to numerous issues I had with one a few years ago, but RaspyD made me do it. He's my go to turkey advisor. He said that the AVIAN-X had a more realistic look so there ya go..........RASPYD SPOKE! I've blown the AVIAN-X up and placed it in a hot shower like the instructions said, so far so good.

We will see how it goes, I just hope these gobblers realize how much money I've spent chasing them!
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

CamoMan4025 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:12 am I had an AVIAN X hen decoy for a couple of years, but it was a POS. It would not hold air
and I put all kinds of sealer on it and contacted the company and no luck. I finally tossed it!

Kevin
I have an AvianX jake & hen I got in 2013. The center spot on the back where the stake
tube is fastened came loose on the hen in NY & wouldn't hold air. I used a short stick &
set it in a breeding position. I contacted the company & they told me to toss it & sent
me a new 1 free of charge. They are about an hour north of me on the lake, so I guess
they felt the need to take care of a home boy hunter. I was able to repair the old hen &
found another jake online cheap so know I have 2 pair that work fine.

I've killed a lot of birds over AvianX dekes.

I wish I'dda know you had an issue with 1. I might have been able to fix it.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I would have spent the extra and got the dsd jake strutter
toasty

Post by toasty »

soiltester wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:48 am viewtopic.php?f=100&t=17522

If he's still got them .. I'll take the leading hen if you just want the Jake .. love mine and it does the job with my upright hen!!
Sold them. Guess I need to update the add.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

timbrhuntr wrote: February 9th, 2019, 6:16 pm I would have spent the extra and got the dsd jake strutter
x2
but what do we know about watching turkey responses from using different decoys :LMAO:
CamoManProStaff-TL

Post by CamoManProStaff-TL »

CamoMan4025 wrote: February 9th, 2019, 8:46 am Well I was able to work some OT and ended up buying a DSD Upright Hen and an AVIAN-X LCD Strutter. I did not want to get another AVIAN-X decoy due to numerous issues I had with one a few years ago, but RaspyD made me do it. He's my go to turkey advisor. He said that the AVIAN-X had a more realistic look so there ya go..........RASPYD SPOKE! I've blown the AVIAN-X up and placed it in a hot shower like the instructions said, so far so good.

We will see how it goes, I just hope these gobblers realize how much money I've spent chasing them!
I’ll buy you a box of donuts opening day. Will that stop the bleeding? I hope they work! My review at the end of the season May land me under the band hammer.
longwalker

Post by longwalker »

CamoMan4025 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:12 am I realize this may get a lot of replys, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I need a new hen decoy and RaspyD told me I should consider getting a gobbler decoy. I had an AVIAN X hen decoy for a couple of years, but it was a POS. It would not hold air and I put all kinds of sealer on it and contacted the company and no luck. I finally tossed it! It was a nice looking decoy with good features, but oh well. So I'm looking at a DSD hen decoy. The gobbler decoy is $200 and I don't think I can swing that. My wife has been unemployed since June. Anyway, any suggestions on a reasonably priced gobbler decoy or even a pair with a gobbler and hen. I don't have to get a DSD hen, but RaspyD has had one for many years and loves it. I don't mind spending a little extra for something that is gonna last and is worth the money.

Thanks,

Kevin
Wish you were closer, I would give you one!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

longwalker wrote: February 11th, 2019, 12:39 pm
CamoMan4025 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:12 am I realize this may get a lot of replys, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I need a new hen decoy and RaspyD told me I should consider getting a gobbler decoy. I had an AVIAN X hen decoy for a couple of years, but it was a POS. It would not hold air and I put all kinds of sealer on it and contacted the company and no luck. I finally tossed it! It was a nice looking decoy with good features, but oh well. So I'm looking at a DSD hen decoy. The gobbler decoy is $200 and I don't think I can swing that. My wife has been unemployed since June. Anyway, any suggestions on a reasonably priced gobbler decoy or even a pair with a gobbler and hen. I don't have to get a DSD hen, but RaspyD has had one for many years and loves it. I don't mind spending a little extra for something that is gonna last and is worth the money.

Thanks,

Kevin
Wish you were closer, I would give you one!

I'm sure he'll pay S & H !! :thumbup: :stir:
longwalker

Post by longwalker »

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin,

Do you know of anyone that is going to the NWTF Convention that could get them for you? I have a Primos Gobbler and Hen combo that you can have.

Let me know.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I'm not sure, let me check around, that is awesome!
fisherxp

Post by fisherxp »

Several years ago I switched to a Dakota semi-strut jake decoy that I use in combination with an Avian lay-down hen and have lost count of the number of toms that have come in intent on "beating the stuffing" out of this thing. I'm sold on the Dakota jake and it'll save you some bucks besides. Last time I checked you could buy it for around $100.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”