Patience kills turkeys

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
dsunday

Patience kills turkeys

Post by dsunday »

How many times have you heard it and gone off chasing a gobble only to find them back where you first started?
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Patience kills turkeys

Post by guesswho »

You can also patience yourself right out of a kill.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

guesswho wrote: April 25th, 2018, 12:06 pm You can also patience yourself right out of a kill.
I agree with Ronnie. I have very little patience and every now and then I booger a bird that I probably wouldn't have killed anyway. I believe being aggressive kills far more than patience.
El Sicario
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I guess I'm patiently aggressive.
Double Naught Spy!
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Persistence is far more valuable, to me, than patience. I refuse to "wait him out". I'll either bust him or kill him, but I ain't waiting for him.
Ultimate Predator
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Whichever I choose on any given day, seems to be the wrong method for that day. At least for this season.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
jhogue

Post by jhogue »

Tail Feathers wrote: April 25th, 2018, 10:06 pm Whichever I choose on any given day, seems to be the wrong method for that day. At least for this season.
I’m with you on that. I think I’ve tried just about everything this year other than sitting in one place for more than two hours. I’ve been super persistent. I’ve covered huge amounts of ground. I’ve tried different calling strategies. Still hasn’t come together. I generally am about equally successful with patience and aggressive tactics, but aggressive run and gun hunting is definitely more fun. When birds just don’t seem to gobble at all, you start questioning everything.
beardwhacker

Post by beardwhacker »

one of the things that I learned long time ago (by mistake), is that calling never hurts and when you call always start low and work up. I had a gobbler coming in hot, then shut up. I waited for like an hour and half, with no sign or call. I figured was busted or he lost interest. I picked up my call and gave some more in a loud tone, I looked to my right to see the Tom there, running away, he was a mere 20 yards behind a bush. After that I learned to always start low, and it has worked many a time, when patience was getting thin,
Realwarrior

Post by Realwarrior »

If you want to try an experiment on patience. Go to a place that if fairly open and has a Gobbling turkey close and call aggressively for a couple of minutes then shut up and as you leave place a trail camera to cover the area that you called from. Go back to the same place the following morning and pull the camera card.... It might make you a little more patient. I've done it and the results were eye opening to say the least. Do I still run & gun? On public Land I do but when birds aren't talking much or when on small pieces of private Land, I've learned to be patient. The cameras haven't lied.
shaman

Post by shaman »

I am a rare turkey hunter. In fact, I don't know any other turkey hunter who's pulled off what I've done. I got laid off in 2008 and didn't go back to work for a couple of years. One thing that meant was that I had the whole turkey season to hunt any way I saw fit.

I've got 200 acres in the Trans-Bluegrass of KY. It's got plenty of turkeys on it. I knew I'd eventually get my tags filled. I just wanted to see what was really going on. There was a good spot to spy on the birds. I spent every day camped out and mostly just watching. What I found was astounding. I don't mean to convince anyone to change their style on my say so. However, it really changed mine. I had about half a dozen gobblers and about twice that number of hens in several flocks. Watching them do their thing day-to-day was a real education.

1) There is only about 3-4 days during season where a given gobbler was receptive to calling.
2) When they did get receptive, just about any call I threw at them would bring them in. The rest of the time, it doesn't matter what I did. Their minds were elsewhere.
3) The receptivity of a gobbler is a very individual thing. Gobblers on one side of the property might be moribund while the gobblers on the other side were hot.
4) Since I was the only one on the property and one of very few hunters in the surrounding farms, I can tell you that hunting pressure was a complete non-starter. Gobs turned on and off without any hunter influence.
5) When the gobs are turned off, I've seen hens gather and sound off like they're begging for attention.

I can tell you that patience does pay off. Most people can't stand that kind of patience. During those hunts and in the subsequent seasons, I've seen gobs take all afternoon to cover 600 yards and end up coming in on a string. I've seen a gob spend 3 days making 1-mile circuits around a particular hollow passing the same point about every 6 hours or so. I've seen a gobbler show up the next afternoon (36 hours later) after calling from a particular spot.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I love patient turkey hunters.
Double Naught Spy!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

178464B3-8FB0-4448-8B08-773AE54DF45E.jpeg
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

:lol:
Double Naught Spy!
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

I have heard from friends that patience will kill them. I’ll never find out. Sitting and waiting on a turkey to come is no fun, and I hunt to have fun. I’d rather bump 5 silent ones on the way to a hot one.
davglo35

Post by davglo35 »

ImageI was a run and gun hunter for nearly 30 years. In 2008 I changed my tactics. This was due to losing a bunch of land to hunt. I had small parcels left and sitting around and being patient was the best option.
I wish I would have figured this out 30 years ago but sitting in one spot and being patient is deadly.
Calling every 30 min or so when the woods are quiet or working a gobbling bird in to range is all a part of this method of hunting.
I have killed more turkeys in the last 12 years than I ever would have running and gunning.
There is a also a bonus to being patient and staying put. Killing older long spurred gobblers. I have killed three 1 3/4 inch birds. A couple 1 1/2 inch birds and a probably 10 -15 1 1/4 inch birds. I still kill a few 2 &3 year olds but staying in one spot ups the odds of killing a sure enough boss gobbler.
Attachments
20200422_070939.jpg
shaman

Post by shaman »

davglo35 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 1:54 am I was a run and gun hunter for nearly 30 years. In 2008 I changed my tactics. This was due to losing a bunch of land to hunt. I had small parcels left and sitting around and being patient was the best option.
I wish I would have figured this out 30 years ago but sitting in one spot and being patient is deadly.
Calling every 30 min or so when the woods are quiet or working a gobbling bird in to range is all a part of this method of hunting.
I have killed more turkeys in the last 12 years than I ever would have running and gunning.
There is a also a bonus to being patient and staying put. Killing older long spurred gobblers. I have killed three 1 3/4 inch birds. A couple 1 1/2 inch birds and a probably 10 -15 1 1/4 inch birds. I still kill a few 2 &3 year olds but staying in one spot ups the odds of killing a sure enough boss gobbler.

Ah! There's a man who gets it!
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
dsunday

Post by dsunday »

Interesting to hear everyone's opinion.

For the real aggressive guys, are you hunting big woods?

Here in KS it's a lot of broken farmland and sometimes you can't make a move with being seen in the wide open
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

shaman wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 6:45 amAh! There's a man who gets it!
Davglo35, those are some daggers. You don’t see them like that everyday.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t run and gun, but I don’t sit in one spot either. I call it Bobcat’n, slip-ass’n or being patiently aggressive.

I guess I still don’t get it, but I’ve always been a slow learner. There’s a dagger or two scattered in here somewhere. So they can be killed without sitting in one spot too.
Attachments
6DD8527C-04B7-4D0E-B497-10398C1E207C.jpeg
B4A92A03-2F45-4F7C-A922-06E2E879AD87.jpeg
Double Naught Spy!
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

I wanna be like GUESSWHO when I grow up !
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

vaturkey wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 11:53 am I wanna be like GUESSWHO when I grow up !
I'm suppose to be grown up, and I still wanna' B' like GUESSWHO :thumbup: :stir:

I cut my spurs off the legs so I don't have clutter, and put most on my hat :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Just wait until we grow up and get it. We’re going to need bigger buckets. :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Holy Bucket-O-Spurs Batman!
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

guesswho wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 12:26 pm Just wait until we grow up and get it. We’re going to need bigger buckets. :lol:

:lol:
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I'm gonna start telling people that I know you, Guesswho! 😁
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Hognutz wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 12:51 pm I'm gonna start telling people that I know you, Guesswho! 😁
Be careful. That would probably get you kicked out of some places and maybe even arrested in others.
Double Naught Spy!

Return to “Hunt Strategies”