What's your run n gun strategy

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
TurkeySlayer10

What's your run n gun strategy

Post by TurkeySlayer10 »

You're walking and calling along an old logging road at around 11:00 and you strike a gobble about 1oo yards away but you think the bird is up on a steep ridge above you. How do you approach him?
decoykrvr

Re: What's your run n gun strategy

Post by decoykrvr »

It all depends on a number of factors ie., How dry are the leaves, How much dry ground litter, How open are the woods, What is the lay of the terrain? You might have to back up a ways before you make any move. If the gobbler isn't already coming to the call, and you can move quietly, I would try to move up the ridge and get at least even w/ him. Set up w/ cover or a large tree behind you and maybe scant brush or trees in front in a place where you can see at least 30-35 yards. Don't just sit down, but survey the area around you and pick your best spot. Start calling softly while raking the leaves w/ a stick and give him plenty of time to come and investigate and don't move again unless you know where he is, and only then w/ a lot of caution. Remember !! Turkeys are not into time!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Stumble and bumble with a layer of hobble and wobble, trip and slip..
Last edited by GLS on April 10th, 2018, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

He got up on the steep ridge he will come down
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
turkeyinstrut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by turkeyinstrut »

If he is within 100 yards when he gobbles I ain't going to try to get much closer unless the lay of the land and cover allows me to comfortably, I would try to find a good spot to set up and try work'n him from there and then if he doesn't want to cooperate try and make a move on him. If he is ready to die he will come, if he's not ready to die it prolly don't matter where you set up.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Don't call from a spot that wouldn't be a good set up. I'd rather go away to find a good spot than set up wrong. One thing to note is if a hen is going away to higher ground, that says, "Meet me up there." "Here I am. Where I am is moving that way. Show yourself in the direction I am moving."
toasty

Post by toasty »

Turkeys never come downhill to me. I would circle around and get above him and call. It may take me an hour to circle around and get above him, but that would give me the best chance to get him.
willie

Post by willie »

i agree with GLS.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

not enough info
El Sicario
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Not to run but make strategic maneuvers.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

If I strike one at 11:00 one hundred yards away my ass is gonna sit right there and kill him if I think he can walk to me unobstructed. If he doesn’t woant to play or if I caught him free gobbling without my influence then I will try to position closer, but if he gobbles in response to calling half the time that gobbler is already coming at that time a day.

Return to “Hunt Strategies”