Fall Hunting with a Dog ?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Fall Hunting with a Dog ?

Post by hookedspur »

I'm thinking I need to try this >
Maybe some of you fellows that do it can clue me in as to ,
what kind of dog you have ,how he works them , where a man might get a pup .
How do you do it ?
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Fall Hunting with a Dog ?

Post by GLS »

gblrsrst

Post by gblrsrst »

GLS gave you a Great Site to go to when wanting answers on Fall Turkeys with a Dog!

Are you sure you want to start this? It can be as ADDICTIVE as Spring Hunting! :roll:

I like Spaniel Breeds for my style of hunting and the Terrain that I hunt which is smaller woodlots surrounded by Farm land. a couple other buddies like the Hound type that will range farther in the more mountainous terrain they hunt in.

Look up that site and there is all kinds of info on training and such.

Just be aware that in my case I USED TO BOW HUNT DEER ... After I took up Turkey Doggin' I' :struttin: m lucky to get out once a year with the bow!
Gretchen was a Great Dog! Jinger Lou is Becoming one!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Never done it on purpose exactly, but the sq. dog breeds I have fooled with need breaking from turkeys.
Uncle Nicky

Post by Uncle Nicky »

Hope you get the bug Steve, it's a ton of fun!

The turkey dog site is run by a great guy, I'm sure he'd be able to point you in the right direction if you contacted him. http://www.turkeydog.org/. If you decide to become a member, Jon will send you a small book loaded with tips to get you started training your own dog.

I've been turkey hunting with dogs for years, it's a blast. I think I wore out my welcome, I wasn't getting many invites, so I decided to get my own dog. The first dog didn't work out (rescue dog), so the second time I got a dropper from a breeder with a long line of turkey dogs in Virginia (not Bryrne's, but a similar line). Maizy's her name, she'll be 3 this year. Training her turned out to be a lot more fun than I imagined. I also have pretty much thrown bow-hunting out the window, I feel like it's a disservice to the dog at this point not to hunt her every chance I get and fortunately, there are a lot of states within a few hours drive that I can hunt in.

The general idea is that you find a spot that holds birds, walk the woods with the dog, and if things work out, the dog will find the birds, flush them all, and if you are lucky, you will have a dog that barks on the flush to let you know where she broke them. After the break, you look for a strategic spot to sit and call them in, and hopefully your dog will sit still with you until you call the birds in (some guys cover their dog with a camo blanket or put them in a bag, others walk the dog back to the truck after the break). It can entail a fair amount of walking, depending on how big of a piece of land you hunt and how far your dog ranges.

If you want to get together this fall, send me a PM and we can discuss details. Maizy & I are always looking for new adventures!!! :)
15230820_611011802432328_3670712518521658577_n.jpg
14524364_587846161415559_3939202980458597138_o.jpg
14205965_572281582972017_2956219580754284557_o.jpg

Return to “Hunt Strategies”