First newbie question

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Tidewater Tom

First newbie question

Post by Tidewater Tom »

Brand new to turkey hunting so I'm basically a shrunken, dry sponge that can soak up a lot of water (knowledge). I'm hunting a small field where I've seen turkeys often. I saw a tom strutting there last week, so set up my ground blind on Tuesday for Saturday morning's hunt. The blind is in the woods a little and you can't see it until you get 20 ft away when you approach from the side. It is in plain view from the field in front of the blind. It's an Ameristep Brickhouse in Realtree camo. Anyway, my son and I got to the stand about 6:50 AM and stayed till 10:00 AM. We set up 3 Avian X LCD hens (breeding, upright, and feeding) about 20 yards in front of the blind, and about 30 degrees to the right. I yelped with a box call about every 15 to 20 minutes. We saw no turkeys until we got back in the truck and when we drove down the road we saw 2 turkeys feeding at the edge of a field that is just 100 yards from where we were through the woods. We came back on Sunday afternoon and sat till 5:15 PM and saw no birds whatsoever. Didn't hear any gobbling either trip.

Is it just going to take multiple hunts to be at the right place at the right time? I don/t hear any birds gobbling so i don't see any need to move. I know the birds are there, just not there when I'm there. I don't know anything about how turkeys move about day to day. I'm finding out though...

Any thoughts or advice?

Re: First newbie question

Post by Newbie »

What time did you see the Longbeard strutting? Is the field flat on hilly? Can he see the decoys? The upright hen IMO, I would leave here in the truck. Reason being again IMO is if she's upright and not feeding then she could look alert and you don't want the gobbler to be alert.... Id swap her out for the Jake decoy they have. Ground blind should be fine, normally turkeys don't pay any attention to them. Could you put out trail camera to get a pattern on him? The biggest thing is Patience. Wait em out if he's not gobbling. Might should sit longer than 515. If its a evening hunt the birds will more than likely be on the shade side of the field. Also you might space out the calls longer every 30-40 mins and just some yelps nothing fancy. Know this, every bird has their day when they will gobble like crazy and run to the gun you just have to be there when he wants to play.

BTW where u located?

Good Luck
Tidewater Tom

Post by Tidewater Tom »

Newbie wrote:What time did you see the Longbeard strutting? Is the field flat on hilly? Can he see the decoys? The upright hen IMO, I would leave here in the truck. Reason being again IMO is if she's upright and not feeding then she could look alert and you don't want the gobbler to be alert.... Id swap her out for the Jake decoy they have. Ground blind should be fine, normally turkeys don't pay any attention to them. Could you put out trail camera to get a pattern on him? The biggest thing is Patience. Wait em out if he's not gobbling. Might should sit longer than 515. If its a evening hunt the birds will more than likely be on the shade side of the field. Also you might space out the calls longer every 30-40 mins and just some yelps nothing fancy. Know this, every bird has their day when they will gobble like crazy and run to the gun you just have to be there when he wants to play.

BTW where u located?

Good Luck

Thanks. I'm located in Suffolk, VA, but I was hunting right across the line in Gates, NC. I hunt in both states. I have access to lots of private land.

I saw the tom strutting at 7:30 AM. The field is flat, but really small. I don't think any turkeys saw the decoys. I have the jake so I'll swap him in and leave the upright hen out. I do have a trail camera but one of the local guys told me they don't help much, but I'll put it out this week if it will help. I would have stayed longer that afternoon but my son had a church youth event he had to go to. I only "know" how to yelp, but I'll space them out more. i appreciate the help!
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

If you have seen a gobbler where you hunt there is hope. Don't give up on that spot. Sit until dark and try to roost a gobbler. If you manage to roost one Return in the morning well before daylight. The birds you seen feeding were probably hens. Which is good. Hens attract gobblers. It is a game of right spot right time for sure. Be patient. Don't be afraid to move. Just do so nice and slow. Watch for signs other than gobbling. Dust bowls.feathers. poop, tracks etc. Try hunting all day. Lots of birds killed mid day after the hens have slipped off to nest. Good luck.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Don't forget ,all gobblers don't gobble at every sound they hear. Be wary of the ones that slip in quietly.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.

Post by Newbie »

That's good solid advice from RedArrow.... I meant to tell ya about those silent no gobbling types that will ease in on ya sneaky like. Or you may hear him Drumming like a Ole Caprice on 24's playing snoop dawg. If you saw him at 720am he's prolly not roosting to far. Is this field next to a road/hwy?
Spurhunter

Post by Spurhunter »

I would go out at dusk and try and roost the gobbler/s. I would use a owl hooter, coyote howler or call with some aggressive yelps and cutts. Once located try and get within 100 yards (not too close though) and set up. If you want to use the blind, we try and move ours mid day when the birds are less likely to be in the area. Like stated before I would change out one of your hen dekes for a Jake or Gobbler deke. I would also make sure not to use the same call and or sequence while calling to the gobbler, if he is not responding to one call change to another and change your sequence. Instead of seven yelps, mabe may three soft yelps. He may prefer one call over another. Stick with it and don't over hunt the area and remember to stay out of sight while moving. Good Luck!
Harrington's Hunting & Outdoor Products LLC

Preserving Hunting Memories for a Lifetime

View my products at:
http://www.Etsy.com - HarringtonOutdoor's

http://www.Ebay.com - Gobblergetter

NWTF Member
NRA Member
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

One thing I would add is to get out earlier, I like to get out no later than 6 in the morning. I let the woods settle down & then, about 6:15 or 6:30, I send out some soft tree yelps. About 10 minutes later, I do fly-down cackles & beat my hat against my leg to simulate a birds wing beats flying down. You can repeat the fly-down 2 or 3 times so the gobs think there are multiple hens. Then do some soft yelps & purrs. Then do your calling every 15-20 mins as you said. Throw in some cutting as well. Also, I'd stay out past 10 as well.

Also, are you right or left handed? I'm right handed so I set the dekes to my left. It's easier for a righty to move & shoot to the left than the right. The same goes for lefties setting the dekes to the right.

I'd also suggest getting a friction call, I like slate, & some mouth calls. Primos makes calls called Sonic Domes that are pretty easy to learn. The more calls you can play, the better your chances of bringing a gobbler.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Hunt Strategies”