Vanishing Deer / Pattern change?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

I hunted my favorite WMA again this year and drew a big Nothing. Scouted my butt off found lots of sign, put up 6 cameras for 2 weeks, pulled the cards after first 2 weeks and again 3 days before the hunt. Picked the spots with good activity for the first two weeks on camera and set stands. I set morning and afternoon stands so I would not burn out any one location. Three days of hard hunting and not a single deer on camera or in front of me. Those of you who know me, know I am meticulous about scent control and stand setup. This is the second year in a row this has happened. I have killed a dozen deer on this WMA in various areas. Do you think the deer are just so smart they know when hunting season opens? The only think I can figure out is the roads are normally closed during the off season. I am already walking 3/4 of a mile to the stand and would have thought that was far enough they would not care. Your thoughts?
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Vanishing Deer / Pattern change?

Post by OLE RASPY »

It's been same way for me for a few years now and I hunt private and only can hunt weekends. I haven't killed a good buck in several years. I've had several chances at border line 140's bucks and Letem walk hoping to get bigger. I have a 142" on the wall so I'm going for bigger. I have them on camera but neighboring property's what gets me. I'm pretty certain deer don't know it's hunting season . I know there smart but not that way. My only solution is deer being deer. Just like turkeys. if you can be in the woods from daylight to dark everyday your season is open then you would have a chance. My thought. Being at right time right place. Hey I hope you get a goodun. Good luck. :thumbup:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Plenty far from roads. Food sources change so do feeding patterns. Throw in pre-rut activity and it can change drastically in a week. Here when white oak acorns start falling they will ignore almost every other food source immediately. Just my thinking.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

drenalinld wrote:Plenty far from roads. Food sources change so do feeding patterns. Throw in pre-rut activity and it can change drastically in a week. Here when white oak acorns start falling they will ignore almost every other food source immediately. Just my thinking.
Yep. Our deer disappear as soon as the acorns start falling on the ridges across the road.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

drenalinld wrote:Plenty far from roads. Food sources change so do feeding patterns. Throw in pre-rut activity and it can change drastically in a week. Here when white oak acorns start falling they will ignore almost every other food source immediately. Just my thinking.
Your thinkin is right. That's logical anyway and I should have said that instead of rambling on what I said. :lol: but I hunt the white oaks to and have been skirted by deer. Guess they like the neighbors acorns better. :violent1:
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

It is crazy how when white oak acorns are plentiful they will prefer certain trees. In years past when I had time I have dug several holes around the canopy of choice white oaks and filled em mostly full with miracle grow early in the Spring. Those suckers were definitely preferred trees in the Fall.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

drenalinld wrote:It is crazy how when white oak acorns are plentiful they will prefer certain trees. In years past when I had time I have dug several holes around the canopy of choice white oaks and filled em mostly full with miracle grow early in the Spring. Those suckers were definitely preferred trees in the Fall.
Never thought of that! But it ought to work. :thumbup:
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

drenalinld wrote:It is crazy how when white oak acorns are plentiful they will prefer certain trees. In years past when I had time I have dug several holes around the canopy of choice white oaks and filled em mostly full with miracle grow early in the Spring. Those suckers were definitely preferred trees in the Fall.

hope you don't mind but I am using that one!! :D
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

Deer don't have watches but I'm convinced they have calendars!
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:

Return to “Hunt Strategies”