Fog... forest or fields?

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
gobblegobblegobble

Fog... forest or fields?

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

We had some pretty decent fog today. We were hunting a field edge. Heard a bunch on the ridges, and we ended up having one come towards us following a finger of woods out into the field but he never crossed the open field to get to us. I had to get to work and my boy had to get to school so we had to leave him there.

When it's foggy, in general, do the birds seem to hang out more in the woods or the fields? We have five blinds scattered throughout the property... two on field edges, two in the woods and one in a transitional area. We normally set up in what we think is the best one for that morning and will move around if the birds aren't there as we can't always get out to roost birds the night before.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Fog... forest or fields?

Post by redarrow »

Any time I have hunted the fog I know The birds tend to stay on the roost later. When they do come down they head to the fields.All though the lower fields will be foggier later into the day.If they are roosted on a high ridge they may tend to stay up there until the field fog lifts.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

Generally on foggy morning I will try to set up at the closest known strut zone to the gobbler I am going to try to kill.

That being said most of the turkeys around our place hit the fieds to strut most everyday at some point. Find a funnel between the roost and the field and call lightly and scratch.
turk835

Post by turk835 »

Don't really have an answer. I killed my turkey this spring on a very foggy morn. He and his buddy flew down into the woods with a field just 40 yds away and walked to me, then the next day again in the fog we had 2 bird strutting across a foggy field only to hang up and leave when they saw the decoys. I think it is just the particular turkey you are hunting that will determine where to hunt him

Bill
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

redarrow wrote:Any time I have hunted the fog I know The birds tend to stay on the roost later. When they do come down they head to the fields.All though the lower fields will be foggier later into the day.If they are roosted on a high ridge they may tend to stay up there until the field fog lifts.
Same thing in my experience.
madmike1977

Post by madmike1977 »

They are turkeys! they don`t even know what they are going to do!

In all honesty the best gobbler i have ever harvested came to me like he was on a string on a drizzly cold foggy morning in eastern Ky mountains. For some reason the birds were fired up that morning . it was foggy and rainy but the sun was peeping through every once and a while and they were gobbling at everything , the bird i killed even yelped at me 3 times!! it sounded like a bull mastiff barking at me!! for 30 minutes he drummed on the ridge above me before he finally came in range. weighed 24 with an 11 1/2 in. beard and 1 3/8 spurs. when i butchered him he had a # 2 or # 3 lead shot in his right drumstick that was healed over. The bird had obviously been messed with before but that morning he was the dumbest bird in the woods! just goes to show you that you never know what they will do!

Return to “Hunt Strategies”