Would like your strategy for one place I hunt

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
Night_Hawk

Post by Night_Hawk »

One place I hunt there is a big L shaped field of about 40 acres. Surrounding the field is thick cover on almost all sides.

The birds have learned how to use the open space for protection. About the only time they get out of the middle of the field is when they are scared out or going to roost. They understand about not walking close to the edges to get ambushed.

Its hard to maneuver and get into any good position. Also, they change their patterns daily. Toms are always following hens, so 80% of the time calling is not effective. You can get in what seems like a good spot but they may use the other side that day.

I've been lucky enough to kill some birds over the years at this spot, but I have to feel I could be missing a strategy that might help me. Anyone else ever hunt a spot like this and what are the tactics you have been successful with?
crenshawco

Re: Would like your strategy for one place I hunt

Post by crenshawco »

Strutter decoy or fanning. If that doesn't work break out the .22 Mag :D
Night_Hawk

Post by Night_Hawk »

crenshawco wrote:Strutter decoy or fanning. If that doesn't work break out the .22 Mag :D
LOL on the 22 mag!!!!
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

That sounds like a lot of places I hunt but the cover is on somebody else's land. Aside from setting up a blind with a band of dekes in the middle of that sucker, there's not much to do but play the entrance/exit lotto every morning. Those hunts aren't as fun, but the vengeance is sweet. :)
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Dig a hole and get in it. Seriously. Just make sure and fill it back in at planting time.

I guess a blind would be effective but I dont like them.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

I think you are hunting on one of my spots. I have tried everything and all they do is stand in the middle of the field and ignore me. I have more luck in the afternoons and late mornings when the hens book out. It is almost impossible to get them off the roost because of the hens. I usually don't go with a strutter decoy this time of the year, but I've got to try something different. I need something to draw them off those hens. Good luck and I know your pain.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Shade?
Woodcock

Post by Woodcock »

Fun post, Mr Steve

"Howl", has been There. Patience and shade is a large tool. Worthy comment in A Word. :)

We have a couple of similar fields, as well.
We follow the Deer and Tuuckey. They use similar paths and behaviors around here.
So we try to combine our knowledge of these options.

If I, "set aside". yotes,dogs,4 wheelers, tractors and BAD weather? ,you can focus on the big picture OF that area.
As a deer guy, we are setting up at multiple (known) wind and funnel points/ crossings .
This process works for the Birds as well.
We also must say that our yearly logged scout/track time is Far beyond our Hunt hours .

Once I have recognized the entrances, we can begin to plan our movement as necessary.
We practice constant "scanning". And have been fortunate, to pick up on birds moving to "front" a deek.
In this case, there is an option to move to that position OR set and wait in the shade? :)

Thanks, just a humble woodsman
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Do they roost in the same areas? How do they get from the roost to the middle of the field?
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Subway !
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
killerstump
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by killerstump »

howl wrote:Shade?
WC wrote:Fun post, Mr Steve

"Howl", has been There. Patience and shade is a large tool. Worthy comment in A Word. :)

We follow the Deer and Tuuckey. They use similar paths and behaviors around here.

If I, "set aside". yotes,dogs,4 wheelers, tractors and BAD weather? ,you can focus on the big picture OF that area.
As a deer guy, we are setting up at multiple (known) wind and funnel points/ crossings .
We also must say that our yearly logged scout/track time is Far beyond our Hunt hours .

Once I have recognized the entrances, we can begin to plan our movement as necessary.
We practice constant "scanning". And have been fortunate, to pick up on birds moving to "front" a deek.
In this case, there is an option to move to that position OR set and wait in the shade? :)

Emphasize more on the shade please. Are you saying shade as in tree shadows are what is keeping the birds from entering the tree line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Woodcock

Post by Woodcock »

killerstump wrote:
howl wrote:Shade?
WC wrote:Fun post, Mr Steve

Emphasize more on the shade please. Are you saying shade as in tree shadows are what is keeping the birds from entering the tree line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF you can get east of the sun in your fields of fire,..?
Depending on the temps,... the Tuuckeys may feed , "basically north and south into the fields".
As the Sun sets, and the shade presents a cooler setting.
Their darker color suggests that they move away from that heat.
We enjoy Spring and Fall Tuuckey FUN.
But have fun with an ambush as well.
Night_Hawk

Post by Night_Hawk »

hawglips wrote:Do they roost in the same areas? How do they get from the roost to the middle of the field?
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry, but just now catching up again on this thread.

Hawglips, they change roosts from time to time and generally fly down and hit the ground about 50 yards from the tree line. I've also noticed that toms fly up a good ways from the tree line when going to roost. That way they don't have to risk getting close to cover on the ground.

I've had pretty good luck here in the past with various tactics, but they always seem to have the advantage....
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

If they flew up and down from the field and never went into the woods, and if I couldn't convince them to fly down into the woods with me, I'd be tempted to try busting them off the roost before flydown and try to force them away from the field to improve my chances of getting them in the woods with me.

If that didn't work, and I got mad enough at them, I'd be tempted to stoop to put a blind up in the field.
Hooksnhorns

Post by Hooksnhorns »

Is there a pond in the field? Where are ther getting water? If they are hitting only one source, you could set up close by if cover is available. I've also had luck with field birds by setting up on a wooded or thickly vegetated point out in the field. Have you set up on the inside corner of the L? I know this is an older thread, just some thought for this spring.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Post a large white shirt on a pole about 70 yards out from the treeline where there normally fly down. Better yet put three in a line. Bet they'll hug the tree line then. :violent3:
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

I wouldn't hunt it unless I had too.
El Sicario

Return to “Hunt Strategies”