Two is better than one,...three is better than two...

Turkey hunting tips & tricks that have worked & can help others.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I regularly see guys infer that they will take other people hunting and that they will either do all the calling themselves, or let the guy they think is the best caller do all the calling. Personally, I think that is a big mistake. My experience suggests that if you have two or more competent callers calling at the same time, a lot of gobblers seem more willing to approach.

What say you guys?
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Two is better than one,...three is better than two...

Post by redarrow »

Makes sense to me. 2 hot hens versus 1.Dueling hens get em hot.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

I think so. When me and Pop used to call together, separated 20 to 30 yds apart, we seemed to have better luck doing this.
Two different sounding calls apart. He killed his largest while we did this many years ago.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I have hunted with tons of folks, biggest problem I have is most try to call over you and are calling and not conversing. Now I have hunted with a few whereas you fed off each other replicating a realistic scenario.

Many think goose hunting more callers are better, but if you put down the call and listen all you are creating is a wall of sound and no one is working the flock and if someone is reading the birds they are dround out by the other callers.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:I have hunted with tons of folks, biggest problem I have is most try to call over you and are calling and not conversing. Now I have hunted with a few whereas you fed off each other replicating a realistic scenario.

Many think goose hunting more callers are better, but if you put down the call and listen all you are creating is a wall of sound and no one is working the flock and if someone is reading the birds they are dround out by the other callers.
Absolutely agree. The guys that are working together calling have got to have enough experience to know what real turkey "conversation" sounds like,...and stick to that. Sometimes the trouble starts when one guy gets the bad idea that he needs to lead the conversation, rather than just be part of it. You get two or three guys that know how to hold a real turkey talk, though, and that can be a killer combination on a lot of birds.
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

I agree........the more the merrier
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

I try to make sure I don't call too much when calling with someone else.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

gophert wrote:I try to make sure I don't call too much when calling with someone else.
Thats kinda my theory as well IF engaged with a gobbler.. Have the best caller (if anyone will admit) engage the gobbler with whatever and maybe the other caller giving soft yelps or purrs while scratching..
Greyghost

Post by Greyghost »

100% agree. Works really well.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

If me calling to them preseason is going to make them call shy and educated, then two or three people calling to them on a hunt will make them leave the county. Plus I hunt with inept hunters.

But when my usual turkey hunting buddy and I both call together bad things usually happen to the turkey birds. But he's ept.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

I have heard that when you set up and have the second caller 10-20 yards behind the first, this scenario can be deadly in the woods.
I have never tried it, but would like to give it a shot sometime.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

guesswho wrote:If me calling to them preseason is going to make them call shy and educated, then two or three people calling to them on a hunt will make them leave the county. Plus I hunt with inept hunters.

But when my usual turkey hunting buddy and I both call together bad things usually happen to the turkey birds. But he's ept.
Rule number 1: Call to the gobblers you plan to hunt all you want before the season,....just make sure you keep that big red S on your chest covered up,...that's what really scares 'em. :mrgreen:
Rule number 2: When choosing to hunt with someone else: Make sure they are ept. ...If not, make sure they know right up front that they are to shut up, don't move, watch,...and learn,...and maybe they can earn their ept card. :toothy7:
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Team calling can be deadly!
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Usually one or two days each spring I hunt with a buddy that is not only a great turkey caller, he understands turkey hunting. He doesn't chime in on a bird with me just to hear himself call. I do all the calling unless there is a situation where we think it is time to start pulling tricks out of our ......hats.... When we both do call to a bird, we try to build up a scenario based on the attitude of the bird we are working. It's not always excited calling like dueling banjos. Sometimes it's kind of like good cop, bad cop. Anyway, it works fine and is fun at times. I don't hunt with others much but I don't mind a day or two of this.
The guy I'm talking about makes some great videos and captures a bunch of turkey vocalization. I'd throw in a plug for him but I'm not sure it's appropriate. They are good home brewed videos with no product pushing.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Bigspurs68 wrote:Usually one or two days each spring I hunt with a buddy that is not only a great turkey caller, he understands turkey hunting. He doesn't chime in on a bird with me just to hear himself call. I do all the calling unless there is a situation where we think it is time to start pulling tricks out of our ......hats.... When we both do call to a bird, we try to build up a scenario based on the attitude of the bird we are working. It's not always excited calling like dueling banjos. Sometimes it's kind of like good cop, bad cop. Anyway, it works fine and is fun at times. I don't hunt with others much but I don't mind a day or two of this.
The guy I'm talking about makes some great videos and captures a bunch of turkey vocalization. I'd throw in a plug for him but I'm not sure it's appropriate. They are good home brewed videos with no product pushing.
Daves a good dude and his calling in his videos is good :thumbup:
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

Icedturkeys, I guess this makes me drop his name. I'm talking about Chad Claycomb and his Fired Up DVD's. He has come a long way in the last few years. Like I said, I'm not big on being videoed but Chad has some good stuff. I don't mind hunting with him one bit.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Bigspurs68 wrote:Icedturkeys, I guess this makes me drop his name. I'm talking about Chad Claycomb and his Fired Up DVD's. He has come a long way in the last few years. Like I said, I'm not big on being videoed but Chad has some good stuff. I don't mind hunting with him one bit.
LOL I thought you were talking bout Dave Owens and was thinking how the heck this Ohio guy hunt with the Georgia guy LOL What really had me convinced you were talking Dave was your "Home brewed" mention and Dave calls his "HomeGrown Productions" LOL

As for Chad super nice guy every instance we have chatted.. Up and coming caller for sure but have never seen his DVDs.. You can go ahead and mention stuff like that don't worry, Doug just does not care for he people that come to plug have 4 posts all pushing their product in different areas of the board and do not even attempt to join in on our constructive dialog elsewhere.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I regularly use two different calls when responding in order to sound like more than one hen.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

If there's a game plan, sure. I generally just say if you hear me purr and scratch, you do the same. I have learned, in some ways, to accomplish the same effect while hunting alone.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
gophert wrote:I try to make sure I don't call too much when calling with someone else.
Thats kinda my theory as well IF engaged with a gobbler.. Have the best caller (if anyone will admit) engage the gobbler with whatever and maybe the other caller giving soft yelps or purrs while scratching..
agreed.
El Sicario
doublegobble1

Post by doublegobble1 »

hawglips wrote:I regularly use two different calls when responding in order to sound like more than one hen.
I also use 2 calls sometimes, seems like I am talking to myself. Pete and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roy

Post by Roy »

I think its a great thing to do.
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

hawglips wrote:I regularly use two different calls when responding in order to sound like more than one hen.

^This works great.

Sometimes when I'm hunting with a buddy we'll get 2-3 calls going to sound like a small flock. If a gobbler gets stubborn, one of us will slip straight away from the gobbler, calling as we go to make it sound like the hen(s) are leaving. Gobblers often go to where we were calling from originally. All it takes a few clucks or some leaf scratching from my buddy, who is still there waiting to seal the deal.

Jim
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I just let RaspyD do all the calling and I do the killin' :thumbup:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
Agree.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Hunt Strategies”