New Scope

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

New Scope

Post by OLE RASPY »

I got a .223 savage and looking for a new scope.The scope that came with it is a busnell sharp shooter 3x9x40 and the bullet impact changes when i turn the magnification from 5 to 9.Thanks for any suggerstions
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: New Scope

Post by devastator »

leupold!!!!
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Nikon or Weaver
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I've gotten a couple Nikon Prostaffs and really like them. Check on eBay, you can save some money.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Leupold, I just bought a Nikon and I think I'm going to be very happy with it too.
"INFIDEL"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I vote Leupold.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

LEUPOLD !! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Bushnell Elite...then Leupold
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

what kind of reticle for yote hunting and should i just stick with 3x9x40 or higher magnification.I might take a long shot here and there.400yd or maybe further but not alot
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
aristico

Post by aristico »

i'M GOING TO THROW THE mINOX SCOPES INTO THE RING.....great scopes for the price and if you are interested send me a pm and i'll direct you to a sight where you can get them a couple of hundred bucks below retail if you don't mind an open box item>
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I guess it boils down to how much money you want to spend???
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

CamoMan4025 wrote:I guess it boils down to how much money you want to spend???
And how well u want it to perform.
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

I have a few high end burris optics on some of my custom guns and a couple trijicon optics on my long range guns. JMO but for the money there is nothing better crisp clear glass 30 mm tube which allows for great light transmitting. they both zoom better than most there competitors in the same price ranges. Meopta optics are another awesome choice , but as mentioned Burris and trijicon is all I own on my custom guns and long range guns. I do have a nikon on my turkey gun though and my 221 fireball lol
Double beard guide service LLC
aristico

Post by aristico »

Not to step on anyone toes but a 30 mm tube doesn't really offer any more light transmission than a 1 inch tube. It just allows for a bigger erector which will allow greater windage and elevation adjustments.....

I will second the opinion on the Meopta's. I have a Meostar and it is awesome.
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

So, I've been doing a LOT of research lately on this topic, you should hop over to snipershide.com and read, read and then read some more. there is a for sale section just for optics, you may find something for sale there. Those boys are competitive shooters or snipers, they know their optics.

I will be buying a SWFA SS (Super Sniper) for my Lapua, a lot of them feel it's the best bang for the buck in optics, the reviews are very positive, check out that site, it's pretty interesting.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

IMO Super sniper scopes are garbage. Trust me, I've owned one, zero ability is bad! I had 2 friends toss their and throw it on their beater guns. SS scopes have VERY horrible low light visibility too. Not to mention a 308 will knock it out of zero after 30 rounds downrange in hot weather. Save your money. Buy once, cry once, get a nightforce scope.
Last edited by Turkey Talker on January 19th, 2012, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Turkey Talker wrote:Super sniper scopes are garbage. Trust me, I've owned one, zero ability is complete sh@t! I had 2 friends toss their and throw it on their beater guns. SS scopes have VERY horrible low light visibility too. Not to mention a 308 will knock it out of zero after 30 rounds downrange in hot weather. Save your money. Buy once, cry once, get a nightforce scope.
Interesting...you're the first person I've heard say that, they get rave reviews everywhere I've looked, but thanks for the opinion. 8-)
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

aristico wrote:Not to step on anyone toes but a 30 mm tube doesn't really offer any more light transmission than a 1 inch tube. It just allows for a bigger erector which will allow greater windage and elevation adjustments.....

So I guess 1rst sgt Jerry Bronson with the army rangers as a sniper told me wrong lol. Looks like chuck is wrong to lol. Main tube diameter

any premium European scopes come with slightly larger 30mm main tubes, and some North American manufacturers have followed suit for their top of the line models in order to "keep up" with the Europeans. The Leupold LPS and Sightron SIII would be examples of scopes with 30mm main tubes. The rationale behind the larger main tube is primarily more efficient internal light transmission. These scopes are also usually equipped with "syrup bucket" objective bells. This is because in much of Europe, unlike North America, night time hunting is legal and widely practiced
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Cont520 wrote:
aristico wrote:Not to step on anyone toes but a 30 mm tube doesn't really offer any more light transmission than a 1 inch tube. It just allows for a bigger erector which will allow greater windage and elevation adjustments.....

So I guess 1rst sgt Jerry Bronson with the army rangers as a sniper told me wrong lol. Looks like chuck is wrong to lol. Main tube diameter

any premium European scopes come with slightly larger 30mm main tubes, and some North American manufacturers have followed suit for their top of the line models in order to "keep up" with the Europeans. The Leupold LPS and Sightron SIII would be examples of scopes with 30mm main tubes. The rationale behind the larger main tube is primarily more efficient internal light transmission. These scopes are also usually equipped with "syrup bucket" objective bells. This is because in much of Europe, unlike North America, night time hunting is legal and widely practiced
This is very true. Do the homework. The results are out there.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Btw. Snipershide.com is full of guys who have a hard enough time reaching 600 yards. Their dope corrections are kentucky windage, and because they hit a target at 1000 yards one time, now exclusivley makes them a sharpshooter. No SNIPER will ever be on that website. Hahaha. They do have a lot of good info on that site. But the reviews are a dime a dozen. What SNIPER would cheap out on optics? NONE. I personally know how junky those sights are. Trust me. Beware of that scope unless u want to throw it on a 22 mag rifle for killen rabbits.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Thanks for the info guys.Just for the record im not wanting to take long shots ill be shooting maybe 300 yards.It would be fun to do some plinking at further ranges but i will be hunting.Im just wanting a good reasonable scope that holds zero,and magnification doest change bullet impact.Also wanting somewhere in the range of a 4x12x40.Might settle with a 3x9x40 but at 300 yards crosshairs take up alot of the target with that.So i would like the more magnification when needed.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

4x12x40 Leupold :thumbup:

You will never regret it !

Good Luck

Ricky :struttin:
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

check out another site its called longrangehunting.com theres alot of great info on there.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

I agree with vaturkey.
Luepold makes a great 4x

Return to “Gobbler Talk”