Strutter Vs Looker

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Strutter Vs Looker

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Your hunting a state which only allows one turkey a day and you have two tags.. You only have today and tomorrow to hunt and Its finally happened and you have managed to call in two mature gobblers.. One is obviously more dominant and doing all the gobbling and strutting.. The other bird appears to have a beard of equal length but appears much more wary and in tune with his surroundings.. While the one bird turns in circles all blowed up oblivious to the danger in the shadows the other bird is locked on your position with a high head.. You CLUCK and both heads are stretched high..

Both birds are easily in gun range.. Which one do you shoot? Which one would you leave that allows you the best chance of tagging out the next day..
Last edited by ICDEDTURKES on January 12th, 2012, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Strutter Vs Looker

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I'd probably shoot Mr. Paranoid...assuming that the strutter will be more likely to do the same thing tomorrow. Sometimes the weary bird is actually older with longer spurs, anyway.
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

i would shoot the wary one also hes in shooting position already and the strutter will prolly do the same the next day.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I'd shoot the looker. He's a better target with his neck stretched out like that.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I went and changed it so that you have clucked and both heads are in position to shoot.. So that it is not a decision of shooting ethics but of which bird you would shoot for other reasons.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

In that case I would prolly shoot the one that gives me the best shot angle. If equal ,I would just shoot either.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Probably the strutter. His DNA need to be removed from the gene pool.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

If their with hens I'm shooting the strutter, and probably won't have much trouble killing his buddy the next day. If their alone I'm shooting the looker, and again probably won't have much trouble killing his buddy the next day.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

guesswho wrote:If their with hens I'm shooting the strutter, and probably won't have much trouble killing his buddy the next day. If their alone I'm shooting the looker, and again probably won't have much trouble killing his buddy the next day.
X2
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

In Ontario you can shoot 2 birds but only shoot one a day. I have had this happen a few times and shot both the strutter and the looker because one was in a better position for the shot. I have usually had the opportunity in the next few days to shoot the other one. A buddy when I first started hunting turkeys always said to shoot the strutter because it was the dominant bird. So if they both were available I would shoot the strutter just because this has stuck with me. However when I have taken both birds on separate days they always seem to almost be twins in size.
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

I would just shoot either one in this situation and let someone else judge what i should have done as im putting feathers in the truck. Then whatever happens the next day happens.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

guesswho wrote:If their with hens I'm shooting the strutter, and probably won't have much trouble killing his buddy the next day. If their alone I'm shooting the looker, and again probably won't have much trouble killing his buddy the next day.
Ahhh...with hens vs without. I see what you did there. Nice touch, sir. Nice touch indeed. :)
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:Ahhh...with hens vs without. I see what you did there. Nice touch, sir. Nice touch indeed. :)
I figured you would figure out the logic from a twised mind like mine :thumbup: Kind of scarry :lol:
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

LOL GUYS, id shoot both and sleep in the next day !!! :dontknow:

brian
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I generally shoot the strutter in thinking that he's the dominant (older, longer-spurred) bird, but I'm not so sure that's the right move. In the last few years I've begun to suspect that it's the "other guy" who tends to wear the longer spurs, while the over-anxious, "can't help himself" 2-year-old is the one strutting. Either way, you can't go wrong, as you never know what tomorrow might bring; no matter which one you shot today!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would shoot the strutter and then go after the looker the next day then he maybe the strutter that day :bootyshake:
I thought you would be BIGGER
RaspyD

Post by RaspyD »

I would shoot the looker. He might be the looker because he has had his butt whipped for gobbling when he shouldn't have. It might take him a few days to figure out he is allowed to gobble if the strutter is gone. Whereas the strutter is obviously in love with himself and would likely gobble the next morning even if his silent partner wasn't around.
SCtrkyhntr

Post by SCtrkyhntr »

I'm shooting the strutter, there is no such thing as waiting until tomorrow when I have a dominate longbeard infront of me.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

GOLD HUNTER wrote:LOL GUYS, id shoot both and sleep in the next day !!! :dontknow:

brian
Finally. :thumbup:
3.5inchpainfulldeath

Post by 3.5inchpainfulldeath »

Turkey Talker wrote:
X2
x3
Matthew Keefer
Mountain Hollow Game Calls Prostaff
http://www.mountainhollowgamecalls.com
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Gobbler wrote:
GOLD HUNTER wrote:LOL GUYS, id shoot both and sleep in the next day !!! :dontknow:

brian
Finally. :thumbup:

Well da !! I just didn't know we shootin' from the truck.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I'll shoot the strutter. I'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

TRKYHTR wrote:I'll shoot the strutter. I'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

TRKYHTR
You were just about to go into that ANNIE song, weren't you?
Last edited by Turkey Talker on January 19th, 2012, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cont520

Post by Cont520 »

Turkey Talker wrote:
X2
x3
Double beard guide service LLC
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I always try to see spurs when they are in gun range and will admit birds have gotten away because of this silly obsession. I would be trying to figure out which spurs were longer. If I could not see them, I would shoot the strutter and never consider tomorrow.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”