Help with red dot selection and research

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
NECKRINGER

Help with red dot selection and research

Post by NECKRINGER »

I think I'm going to get a computer for the top of my gun.

If you know anything about these
Feel free to post what you know or like.

I am leaning towards a Burris, zeiss, bushnell holo if I can get one
Or an aim point.

Anyone have any experience with the zeiss that has a solar panel.

I can't believe I am even thinking about putting a solar panel on a gun.

But starring at water when fishing and welding are taking a toll.
Can't be that I'm getting older.
I have a gander and a bass pro within 30 minutes of my home so
Prolly going to narrow down between what I can fumble with in a store.
Not sure what they stick yet
Let er rip
Dont start a fire in the woods you cant stomp out...it may come back and burn your a$$

Hey guesswho guesswhat
d.winsor

Re: Help with red dot selection and research

Post by d.winsor »

You might look at a ultradotwest, they cost about as much as a fastfire 3 but have a lifetime warranty. A fastfire 3 is warranted for 1 year. here is one ultradotwest similar to the fastfire 3 http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_007.htm

Most of the red dot scopes have very little warranty.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Since you are considering Zeiss and Aimpoint, which are at the top cost-wise, I'd take a look at the Trijicon RMR. It doesn't use a battery, but has a combination of fiber optics and tritium lamp illumination. It is about the same size as the Fast Fire series. I have two of the earlier, clunkier, Reflex models based on the same illumination. They have well served me. Trijicon builds tough weapons optics and have a significant US military use. I don't know anything about mounts for it, however. I am sure someone has solved the mount issue for shotguns. They have a long warranty on the illumination life. I have bought 3 Fast Fires over the past few years and they are great for the money. Ebay has a range of Fast Fire prices around $210 delivered. Burris has incredible customer service should it be needed. The Weaver, Ultradot, Fast Fire and others that look alike are based on the Docter design out of West Germany which is at the top in price and quality. There are a lot of mid range cost red dots out there and not a lot of complaints about battery life or performance. You won't make a mistake buying any of the optics you mentioned.
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

I've used FFIII on two guns and I've been very pleased. My only complaint albeit minor with the FFIII is the on/off operation. It uses a small button which you have to press and sometimes when wearing gloves on this can be a nuisance. A switch that you pushed forward would be a much better solution.

Outside of that its been marvelous. You cant beat the low profile and the fact it adds no additional weight to the gun. With the FFIII I pick up the target more quickly and with the TSS I've rolled every one I've put the red dot on. I was concerned about battery life but 3 years later I'm still using the same battery it came with. Unless something better emerges I dont see any reason to change.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to try out an FFIII first.
NECKRINGER

Post by NECKRINGER »

What is in the sight picture of a fast fireIII?

Just a dot or a dot with a circle?

How big is the dot at say 40yds?

Thanks
Dont start a fire in the woods you cant stomp out...it may come back and burn your a$$

Hey guesswho guesswhat
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

NECKRINGER wrote:What is in the sight picture of a fast fireIII?

Just a dot or a dot with a circle?

How big is the dot at say 40yds?

Thanks

Just a red dot, I think. It's available in 3 or 8 MOA. I ordered the 3 MOA. That should be just a fine point at 40 yards, I'm guessing.
gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

I'm using an Eotech, if you're willing to spend some $$ you can consider those too with the other high priced options you listed.

I LOVE the sight, but I'm swapping it out after this season because:
1) I stole it off my AR and it wants it back,
2) it's big; it's not the compact model,
3) it's night-vision capable, obviously not needed and overkill,
4) it's more money than I want to put on top of our turkey gun.

If I were spending a bunch of money I'd get a compact version, I really like the 1moa dot with the 65 moa circle. I also like having control over the reticle illumination... a lot of the others now have auto brightness, which I don't want.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

At 40 yards, an 8 moa dot covers a 3.2" disk. At 20 yards, a 1.6" disk. 50 yards, 4" disk, 60 yards, 4.8" disk.
At 40 yards, a 3 moa dot covers a 1.2" disk. At 20 yards, a .6" disk. At 50 yards, a 1.5" "disk, 60 yards, a 1.8" disk.
I've had several sizes, a 1 moa Aimpoint and two 6.5 moa Trijicon. All have been dots. I currently shoot the 8 moa FFIII.
If the 8 moa fits inside the turkey's head, he is inside 40 yards.
The argument for the 3 moa is more precise aiming. The argument for the 8 moa, you're shooting a shotgun, not a rifle, for heaven's sake. 8 moa is just fine. Each size has its fans.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

I'm a 3 moa guy, been using a fastfire I and II from the get-go with no problems. If I was going to go higher end I'd go with the trijicon, zeiss, or the dr.optic. Battery life has been awesome 3-4 yrs. Downside with Burris is the protective cap is easily lost. Fortunately, Burris has been gracious with sending me about 4 over the last dozen years.
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

I have a old gen 1 bushnell holo sight and love it wish i could afford the newer eotech sight as they are top notch
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
NECKRINGER

Post by NECKRINGER »

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a trijicon reflex 4.5 Moa
It don't need batteries. Anyone have any experience with one of these.

I own a SBE that is not drilled and tapped.
Has 28" and I shoot extended tube.
I love a long barrel turkey gun and often carry a 30" A5

But I'm retiring my SBE

Was going to get a SBE II with pistol grip
But I think I'm going to just get a super nova 24" with pistol grip and spend a bunch on the sight.
Then with some federal heavy weight 3.5 #6 or # 7

I might be able to kill a turkey next year

Hey guesswho guesswhat
NECKRINGER

Post by NECKRINGER »

How big are these sights on guns?

Can some of you guys that are shooting sights post a pic or 2

Are any of the sights wider than the receiver?

Also
What kind of mount should I get should I put a small picanny rail on top and get picanny mount or just get weaver style???

Either way I'm gunna loc tight the poo out of it cause I'm a little ruff on me gear??

I have not figure out how something has no batteries but works at night.
Sounds good to me though

Hey guesswho guesswhat
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Go with what I use. Compact and light weight. Good battery life and you can pick up batteries at any Auto parts store. Not sure what the MOA is but it's a little bigger than a 3. Put the dot on his head and if you can see any of his head outside the dot he's close enough.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I have not figure out how something has no batteries but works at night.
Sounds good to me though[/quote]

Ya got to plug it in to a currant bush :LMAO:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Trijicon 6.5 moa Reflex on my TurkeySlayer 20 gauge Ithaca
Trijicon 6.5 moa Reflex on my 20 gauge Super Bantam.
As I said earlier in my response to you, they are tough. Mine are earlier versions of what is sold today. I would rather have the smaller RMR which I believe sits lower. The Reflexes require a raised comb which is easily done with the neoprene comb kit made by Bear Creek. Gil
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

My gun isn't drilled or tapped, so I'm going with a B Square cantilever rib mount...

gobblegobblegobble

Post by gobblegobblegobble »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:My gun isn't drilled or tapped, so I'm going with a B Square cantilever rib mount...

This is what I used...

Thinking about looking for a spare barrel, that way my son can take out the 870 for squirrels, birds, etc with a simple barrel swap.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:My gun isn't drilled or tapped, so I'm going with a B Square cantilever rib mount...

I use one as well on my Beretta 686 UL

chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

My vote goes for the FFIII. The warrantee is now been upgraded to lifetime, and you just cannot beat them for light weight, ease of use and the ability to withstand the harshest recoil!
Plus, Burris Customer service is the best in the business!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

If you are going to get the Trijicon Reflex, you have a choice between Weaver and Picatinny bases. I chose Weaver for my guns because my SBE was already drilled and tapped for Weaver and my 835 and Super Bantams came pre-drilled and tapped for Weaver. My Ithaca was bought afterwards, but it was Weaver ready from the factory as well.
The lamp that powers illumination on the Trijicon is a borosilicate glass tube coated with phosphor and filled with Tritium gas which is mildly radioactive. It emits electrons which excite the phosphor causing it to glow. It has a half-life of 12.3 years meaning it will decay to where it will be half as bright at the end of 12.3 years as it was in the beginning. Trijicon guarantees sufficient night illumination for 15 years. After that period, it will rebuild the unit for a fee. The lamp plays a role in low light. The generous amount of fibre optics is what does the job in daylight. It’s an ingenuous system. Tritium illumination is what powers the light on Luminox watches. I’ve had them for years with no problems. As for Weaver versus Picatinny mounts, the Reflex series has bases for either. Make your choice when you purchase. I bought my first Trijicon Reflex 8-9 years ago and it is going strong. In addition to moa size, the Trijicon makes a 24 mm aperture and now a 40 mm aperture Reflex system. The larger is twice the weight and bulk. I’d go with the slimmer one for the turkey woods. As these systems don’t magnify, there is no light gathering issue in which a larger aperture trumps a smaller aperture. Costs are all over the map with Trijicon. I paid $275 for my first reflex which included the base. Look around for best bundled deal with optic and base. The base alone is expensive. The base is what clamps to the mounted rail on the gun. The rails are under 10 bucks. The days of finding a Trijicon for under $300 are gone. As much as I like the Trijicons, it's hard to beat the Fast Fire series for cost, size and performance, but my preference would be the Burris 336 low profile mount rather than the higher sitting Picatinny system.
NECKRINGER

Post by NECKRINGER »

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm gunna try to find some around town that I can put my hands on or look at.
That would really help

Hey guesswho guesswhat
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

If you have any questions, holler. The reason I went to a red dot in 1998 is I couldn't focus leaf and blade on sights in low light. The last straw was three flying down in the dark at 30 yards. Three shots and three birds flying away like launched from an aircraft carrier deck. Probably still flying....

Return to “Gobbler Talk”