MKW...Need your help bud!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Ticeman

MKW...Need your help bud!

Post by Ticeman »

Don't know much about long range shootin, so I need some advice what kinda scope I need for this rig, as in what power, bought it today. :thumbup: This Nikon ain't gonna cut it for any long range stuff.

.338 Lapua, let's just say she puts em down range in a hurry, the recoil is not much different than my .270, but you'd expect as much with such a long barrel and being compensated, REALLY loud though! :o My 10 yr old even shot it, and wanted more. 8-)

next to a .270

MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: MKW...Need your help bud!

Post by MKW »

I'd prolly go 6.5-20 in something mid-range in price. Leupold is always good, but you could get by a little cheaper with Nikon, Burris, or Bushnell. If you want absolute quality, look at NightForce. Nice rig...even if it is a Savage! :D

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

I hear ya, Nightforce costs more than the gun, so that's out. Cheaperthandirt is where I shall begin! :angel4:

Mikey- what do you think about this?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactical- ... -P501.aspx
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Like Mkw said a Leupold is a good choice
I got a 4-12x40 that works great on my Hart 7mm STW. Hart like the Leupold a lot an recommended to me for the price range I was in for a scope
I thought you would be BIGGER
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Buy a Leupold..The best one that you can afford. You won't be sorry..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Check out Optics Planet mike.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

What kind of Nikon is on it Mike. Looks like a Prostaff??? Did it come on the gun??
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

CamoMan4025 wrote:What kind of Nikon is on it Mike. Looks like a Prostaff??? Did it come on the gun??

Yeah, it's off my 270, just put it on there temporarily, the dudes over at snipershide.com are a fan of the one in the link, says that it will take the punishment from this gun all day long and the reviews on line are really good as well.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Ticeman wrote:
CamoMan4025 wrote:What kind of Nikon is on it Mike. Looks like a Prostaff??? Did it come on the gun??

Yeah, it's off my 270, just put it on there temporarily, the dudes over at snipershide.com are a fan of the one in the link, says that it will take the punishment from this gun all day long and the reviews on line are really good as well.
I am not brushed up on my tactical scopes.. I do a agree with the 6x18 suggestion, more power equals better groups.. With the scope in the link you are getting a fixed power 16x.. A very good scope for long paper shooting, but not practical for most hunting instances..

If you chose to take it say deer hunting, if a deer was moving through the woods inside a 100 yards, good luck finding the animal My.02 cents
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:If you chose to take it say deer hunting, if a deer was moving through the woods inside a 100 yards, good luck finding the animal My.02 cents
Who would want to shoot deer closer than 300 yards with a "Lapoopa" anyway? :lol:
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

First of all, the reason for the purchase is cause I am lazy, I don't want to walk into the woods, get in the stand and all that mess, no sir, I want to wait in the truck with the heater goin, playing with my Ipad, drinking coffee and watch for deer to come out and then promptly get out, put the "lapoopa" on the hood and blast his ass from about 500 yds. Get back in the aforementioned truck with heater and drive into the field where he's died in his tracks (tracking a deer is highly overrated) and gut him and throw him in the truck.

Rifle season in Iowa starts Jan 11, you ever been here in January??

Now, see my logic?? :lol: :lol:
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Hells yeah!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Perfectly clear to me.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

i agree with leupold as a scope choice.i have a vll on a 338 rem ultra mag 700 bdl shooting 180 grain noslers at 3450 and every year i pull the gun out it is still 1.5 inches high at 100 since i sighted it in the first time.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I mounted a Leupold 6.5-20x on my buddies 50 cal. about 10 years ago. No problems as of yet. It doesn't get shot a lot, but it takes the beating, so far..Leupold all the way..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

NIGHTFORCE x2. dont mess with that SS Garbage.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

btw when did rifle season start in IOWA? when i was there it was illegal. only slug throwin shotties where allowed :scratch:
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Turkey Talker wrote:btw when did rifle season start in IOWA? when i was there it was illegal. only slug throwin shotties where allowed :scratch:
It's only for the southern two counties, across the whole state, one season, antlerless only.
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Turkey Talker wrote:NIGHTFORCE x2. dont mess with that SS Garbage.
Doesn't make sense (too me at least) to put on optics that cost more than the gun when it's only going to get shot 20-40 rds/yr., if you spend any time reading what long range shooters use, they say the scope in the link will run with Leupold all day long, I have to take their word on it, they speak from years of experience.

Leupold is a great scope, no doubt, I love the Mk4, just don't like the price.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Well Mike, you get what you want! Don't listen to these fools on here, they are WannaBee Ticemen! I respect any decision you make because YOU are Da Man! Shoot em up bang bang Mr. Ticeman!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Try 'em all, mang! If you keep the economy moving like you have been, you're gonna get Obama re-elected. :lol:
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I like the way You roll Mikey. With the warm truck and the coffee and such. But why get out of the truck to gut your deer. Just drive over his chest and the guts will squirt out his hind end like toothpaste from a tube. No fuss no muss.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Red- wow man. yer nasty!

Heck, come to think of it, i don't even need to get out of the truck...just roll the window down and aim...I'm liking this more and more all the time...scent control...who needs it!?

:lol:
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Ticeman wrote:
Turkey Talker wrote:NIGHTFORCE x2. dont mess with that SS Garbage.
Doesn't make sense (too me at least) to put on optics that cost more than the gun when it's only going to get shot 20-40 rds/yr., if you spend any time reading what long range shooters use, they say the scope in the link will run with Leupold all day long, I have to take their word on it, they speak from years of experience.

Leupold is a great scope, no doubt, I love the Mk4, just don't like the price.
you need to do some more reading my friend. your first initial post was only about getting down range. that was it. now your adding 20-40 rounds per year. whats your purpose here with that gun? shooting deer at 500 yards or do you want to reach out and hit something at 1000 yards?

I was in the Navy for 5 years/ 3 of which I was in SWCC SBU 18. I worked with SEAL Team 6 and went to advanced sniper training with 2 of my friends from the team in Virginia. So,I do know "a little bit" ;) of what I'm talking about when it comes to loads, weapons, and prices for optics. If you depend on a weapon with your life, you will trust the weapon to hold true all the way to the impact of the kill shot. You cannot "CANNOT" trust cheaper scopes. Its the same as cold barrel technology and advanced glass pressure points.
YOU CAN ALSO USE THIS SCOPE "BUY ONCE CRY ONCE" on other applications (rifles) not only the one lead thrower.

Here is what you need to remind yourself or what we are trained to know. EQUIPMENT is #1, you cannot perform the job 100 times over again with cheap garbage, consistency is what matters, then you have Mindset, Tactics, then finally skill.

You need to determine what you yourself are looking for in a scope. you want some garbage that will get you by or do you want a fine piece of glass that will give you the precision that you need to make surgical incisions. PRICE, in most cases you WILL pay 2 times the price of the gun for quality glass. DURABILITY, you need something that can take abuse from an accidental jostle or drop, I have personally had this happen to a Luepold in the field. Scary situation "yes" very disappointing and talk about a waste of time, when you finally get to where your going and realize your planet isn't aligned with your rifle.Durability also comes with being able to zero that optic every time "ie ZERO STOP" a lot of optics have this problem, but since you only need to shoot 20 rounds a year this would be pointless for you. If your mildots are off from zero, your 27.77 math is ALL WRONG = poorly placed shot. VARIABLE, if you want to use a larger caliber and know a male from a female at a 1000 yards, i promise you that you will be close if not into the 20 power x range. RETICLE, this all depends on the shooter and what they like to see through the glass and what helps the shooter engage the target faster and be able to distance objects. Mildots are my pick Maybe not yours. LOW LIGHT CAPABILITIES, There is alot of info about this on the net, this is a very important piece to the game, if you can't see at 5 in the am with a 2000 dollar scope, your cheap scope will not perform at all. you get what you pay for. light is a huge obstacle in shooting especially at further distances. OBJECTIVE LENS SIZE, larger size lens = more light, easier to see targets.

Then you need your base and rings, which why in the hell would you cheap out on those? your talking at least 200 bucks for solid construction.

Finally don't forget some handy dandy DATA CARDS! get some ballistic cards so you dont have to make educated guesses out in the field. leave the pencil and calculator at the house and start killing out to 800 yards and on.

So again i ask, what are you using the gun for. There are many high end scopes, NIGHTFORCE, USOptics ect. I said to stay away from SS or "SWFA" garbage and I meant it. Super Sniper scopes are junk!

-TT

Return to “Gobbler Talk”