688 yard 243 Elk Kill

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

688 yard 243 Elk Kill

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

MKW will get a kick out of this.. Pretty amazing.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-g ... r_embedded
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 688 yard 243 Elk Kill

Post by vaturkey »

Tom

Click on the link John Burns Turkey. He smoked a gobbler @ 280 yds with a AR15
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

And I have dumbasses tell me all the time that a .243 is a varmint caliber and not even big enough for southern whitetail. 688yrds is farther than I'd take a shot, but you can't argue with that performance. As Tom knows, a .243 is my favorite caliber.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Whatever..........I could of done that with my pistol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Oh yeah.....243 ...my ass...that Elk dropped like a stone, what a crock of BS that was, ain't no way...no how...a 243 will do that at that distance, yeah, 243 OR a .308 I think he meant to say. :wink:

Candy ass 243....ain't nothing but a .22 on steroids...whatever...don't believe everything you see on the internet boys.. :scratch:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

People that deer hunt with a 243 probably turkey hunt with a twinky gauge.
Last edited by guesswho on December 13th, 2011, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Roy

Post by Roy »

It hit her in the spine. Right?
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

guesswho wrote:People deer hunt with 243 probably turkey hunt with a twinky gauge.
That'd be a safe bet!! "Twinky Gauge"...I like that. :toothy7:

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

vaturkey wrote:Tom

Click on the link John Burns Turkey. He smoked a gobbler @ 280 yds with a AR15
his first shot hit it in the back...and didn't penetrate for a kill! those are some tuff feathers!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

The energy left on a .243 at 700 yards is about 500 ft. pounds. It must have been a brain shot..Just sayin..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote:The energy left on a .243 at 700 yards is about 500 ft. pounds. It must have been a brain shot..Just sayin..
High Shoulder
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

I killed my largest Whitetail ever with a 243 in 96'. I will admit he took the shot like a champ, walked around a bit before falling over, bullet was a 110 gr soft point. Clipped the side of his heart. I went to a .280 some years later and now even tote a .325wsm on occasion. A 10 ga is my go to on turkeys. A .243 is plenty of caliber for whitetail at least in my experience on the smaller bodied whitetail of the south east. I dont know if I would chance it on a mule deer or northern whitetails
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

you can see the vapor trail. it was high shoulder...the way the back legs reared up on impact proved to be a thoracic spine shot.
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Not trying to start anything or offend anyone, but I hope I am not the only one here that finds these "long shot" videos a bit irresponsible and offensive. Sure, these people that do that sort of thing are probably great marksmen, but how many not-so-great marksmen will think they can do the same thing from watching these videos and end up leaving wounded and lost animals in the field?

The rifle-shot gobbler bothers the heck out of me, as well. As far as I am concerned, a great game bird was sacrificed as target practice for some goober that didn't want to take the time to actually hunt for his gobbler. Stuff like this just adds fuel to the fire for those "anti's" that are just looking for ways to attack hunting.

...Sorry, I just couldn't keep myself from letting my feelings be known about this sort of stuff. To me, hunting is not about killing animals at any cost. And I re-emphasize that I am not trying to start anything....

The End (jumping down now)
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

GobbleNut wrote:Not trying to start anything or offend anyone, but I hope I am not the only one here that finds these "long shot" videos a bit irresponsible and offensive. Sure, these people that do that sort of thing are probably great marksmen, but how many not-so-great marksmen will think they can do the same thing from watching these videos and end up leaving wounded and lost animals in the field?

The rifle-shot gobbler bothers the heck out of me, as well. As far as I am concerned, a great game bird was sacrificed as target practice for some goober that didn't want to take the time to actually hunt for his gobbler. Stuff like this just adds fuel to the fire for those "anti's" that are just looking for ways to attack hunting.

...Sorry, I just couldn't keep myself from letting my feelings be known about this sort of stuff. To me, hunting is not about killing animals at any cost. And I re-emphasize that I am not trying to start anything....

The End (jumping down now)

I would tend to agree with you! :thumbup:

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

The bullet placement in the high shoulder drops them. A guy in Texas showed me that placement.

The animal butt almost always hits the ground first and they fall over. Its a great shot for no trailing.

I have made that shot myself only it was 97 yrds. :mrgreen: I just don't think I would try a shot over 300. And at three hundred, I would like to some how get closer to my comfort zone of 200 and in.

That shot was amazing. But I also agree with Gobblenut.
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Agreed gobblenut, the chances of actually killing a large animal like this at that distance with that gun (still doubt it was a .243, but whatever) is not good, it defines irresponsibility, kinda like shooting a gobbler at 280 yds.. :(
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

This video has inspired me.. I have never had the confidence in my abilities or equipment to take extreme long range shots.. It is muzzy season here right now.. With 2 50g Pellets doing 1763, Bullet with a BC .210 and a hundred yard zero I am only 123.3 inches low at 400.. I still have 505 pounds of energy at that range.. Time to go back up my stand :thumbup:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

GobbleNut wrote:but how many not-so-great marksmen will think they can do the same thing from watching these videos and end up leaving wounded and lost animals in the field?
Yep, tv is the third worst invention ever.
Double Naught Spy!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I'm not even going to ask what one and two are.. :lol: :lol:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Hognutz wrote:I'm not even going to ask what one and two are.. :lol: :lol:
Close enough :lol:

1 - N"WTF"
2 - The Internet
Double Naught Spy!
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

:lol: :lol:
FOX FIRE

Post by FOX FIRE »

I'm a .243 fan but thats a lotta yardage to cover to take a elk, do ya think thay would have posted that if she wounded it ?? ...me niether.

Also, it seems she mite not have been all that familar with the gun or hunt'n period, guess'n by him coach'n her wher to place the shot, anyone who hunts owes it to the animal to do it rite & save the show boat'n for the practice range, at least untill you develop the skill it takes.

Just say'n.
When I was just a baby my mama told me son, always be a good boy & dont ever play with guns.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

guesswho wrote:
GobbleNut wrote:but how many not-so-great marksmen will think they can do the same thing from watching these videos and end up leaving wounded and lost animals in the field?
Yep, tv is the third worst invention ever.
People will do it regardless of TV or not. If someone owns a rifle that can reach out far, they will try it. The problem is, is that a lot of people dont know the math behind DOPE. Obviously they are not patient enough to learn or they are just not interested in learning, so they take Kentucky Windage and garbage elevation shots.
If you take the time, know what you are doing, you can hit that shot consistently every time unless you are using garbage loads. :salute:
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

P. O. Ackley created an improved version of this cartridge called the .243 Winchester Improved (Ackley). Like other improved cartridges, this created a steeper shoulder and blew the sides out, plus slightly lengthens the case, giving about 10% more powder capacity, and some small improvement in velocity. Both versions of the .243 cartridge are good for hunting big game.

The .243 produces a velocity of 2,960 feet (902.21 m) per second with a 100 grain (6.6 gram) projectile from a 24-inch (610 mm) barrel. Commercially loaded .243 ammunition is available with bullet weight ranging from 55 grains (3.6 g) up to 115 grains (6.8 g), twist rate of barrel is the major deciding factor in which bullets to use, 1:10 being the most popular as it is sufficient to stabilize up to 100gr bullets however for VLD (very low drag) profile bullets and bullets heavier than 100gr a 1:8 or 1:7(for 115 gr VLD bullets) is necessary.

take a look at the MPBR here
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm
and

http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html

and by the way have a read at this
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/01/ ... re_200808/

If you didnt read it, your not patient enough to take shots out to 1000 yards... :)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”