My Opening Long Weekend

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

My Opening Long Weekend

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Opening morning I had an unavoidable obligation and was unable to hunt. As it turned out, if I had to miss an opening morning, this was a good one to miss. Rainy, windy, and cold. That afternoon, however, I freed myself and headed home to catch the tail end of the opener. I went to a farm I know well. Two weeks ago I listened there in the morning and knew the area in which at least 3 birds had roosted. At 4:30 I was set up in the woods. By 5:30 I had hens yelping at me from 80-90 yards away. I yelped back and we conversed for several minute. I then glanced to my left to see a gobbler in half strut standing 50 yards away. He stood motionless staring for several minutes before walking towards me again. At 43 yards he stopped again and raised his head and I tested my TSS loads in the field for the first time.

21 lbs, 7/8" spurs, 8.5" beard

Sunday morning I took a good friend with me to another farm. He really started turkey hunting last year and has improved tremendously in terms of calling and knowledge, but had not yet dropped the hammer on one. We had one bird gobble good early, but he went quiet quickly when he flew down. We eased into an area we were sure was within earshot of his roost area and started calling. Within 20 minutes we saw a red head appear. Three of them actually. Not the ones we were hoping for, but I could see the excitement shaking out of him when those jakes flew the creek and landed on our side. I told him there was no shame loosing your turkey virginity to a jake. Hammer down.
Last edited by Southern Sportsman on April 3rd, 2014, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: My Opening Long Weekend

After getting back to the truck with the jake, we promptly got stuck -- 50 yards from the paved road.
After getting pulled out and eating lunch, I headed to another spot. This one requires a long walk and because of all the rain, I had to cross a pretty major creek on a pretty inferior oak log.
Once across, it didn't take long. The third place I stopped to call, I yelped and cut on a wingbone and was enthusiastically answered from 150 yards away. I scrambled across a creek and sat down on the first tree I saw. My next yelp on the wingbone was cut off -- now 100 yards away. I put my call in my pocket and my gun on my knee. A crow then got angry and that turkey gobbled and double gobbled at the crow the entire way to me. I let him get to 40 and I couldn't take it any more. I struck him at 3:30 and killed him at 3:38. He was another 2 year old, but a butterball.
Last edited by Southern Sportsman on April 2nd, 2014, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Monday I went with another good friend, and we were in the midst of them early. They flew down and went with hens for the most part. At 7:30, we called one up to 54 yards. My buddy was the shooter and he brought his 20 gauge. No kill, but cool hunt.

This morning, went with a regular turkey hunting buddy of mine to a 50 acre block of timber that must have more gobblers per acre than any in west TN. We heard at least 6 different mature birds gobble on the roost and several jakes were yelp/gobbling. At flydown we had two come towards us, but they got distracted by hens and skirted by us at about 75 yards strutting and drumming. All of the turkeys left the timber and went into a small field just off the property. They gobbled sporadically for a while and got quiet by 8. We thought they might come back in our direction so we waited. At 9:00 I yelped and cut as loud as I could and got an answer. I waited fifteen minutes and yelped, more softly, and was answered again, half as far. The next time they gobbled they were at 60 strutting in plain view and easing towards us. Then 6 jakes came into view and the gobblers broke strut and ran at the jakes (angling away from us), clucking and yelping and gobbling ensued and the jakes tucked tail. The gobblers then came back towards us but drew the line at 55 yards. The dominate bird strutted and the other one paced back and forth like there was a glass wall. We kept hoping they would come ten more yards but they didn't. Eventually, we (I) decided that I made these TSS shells for just such an occasion (we were both shooting them). Both guns have solid 60 yard patterns.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Dang, ya'll had a Helluva weekend!!!! :thumbup:
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

what a great time :)
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Awesome weekend! Congrats. That log would have ended my hunt. :lol:
el diablo
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by el diablo »

Way to go SS, you are slaying them! Great pics too!
ads1

Post by ads1 »

Congratulations on a great hunting weekend! Great story. Thanks. :thumbup:
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Pretty nice little weekend ya had there. Congrats!
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

The reports I've heard from the TN opener have been nothing short of amazing. A friend of mine and his partners killed 10 longbeards in the first 72 hours.

Congrats!
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

wiltznucs wrote:The reports I've heard from the TN opener have been nothing short of amazing. A friend of mine and his partners killed 10 longbeards in the first 72 hours.

Congrats!
Two years ago it was 90 degrees on opening day and people were finding nests full of eggs the first week of April. Greenup was really early, the nesting was equally early, there were never any spring floods, and all reports were of an epic hatch (at least in West TN). Last year there were jakes EVERYWHERE. This fall I still saw huge groups of 1.5 year old gobblers fighting and yelping and gobbling. This all lead to a massive population of 2 yr olds this spring. Lots of 2 yr olds = fun spring.
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

NOICE!!!
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

SS are you shooting Nines or eights

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Johndoe wrote:SS are you shooting Nines or eights
I'm shooting 8s that I loaded last year. My buddy was shooting 8.5s that I loaded for him this year.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

Carnage!
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Whack'em!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

breast robbed carcasses all over west TN. Congrats!
dirtnap

Post by dirtnap »

Nice
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

excellent weekend hunt - congrats on the birds!!
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

Congrats on a great weekend.
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats on the mass killings!! Yowsa!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

My Opening Long Weekend

Post by Reloader »

Congrats!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”