Merriams and Rios

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Merriams and Rios

Post by Jaybird »

Looking at trying to take one of each on a weeks vacation in the Spring, but need advice on best places to do that. Public areas would be nice as far as money, but realize that might have to go with Outfitters. I'm leaning towards Western Oklahoma for Rios and Western Nebraska for Merriams as far as staying in reasonable driving distance to Des Moines. Any help would be appreciated.
ImageImageImage
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Merriams and Rios

Post by hawglips »

Some of the western states have both subs.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

talk to andy kaiser
Cove

Post by Cove »

Kansas deserves a look for Rios, closer too. I'd say hold onto your $$ and spend it on the gas to see and kill more. Rios and Merriams are not the toughest birds to kill for a dedicated turkey hunter and public land is plentiful. State websites are a huge help and can get you start in the decision making process.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

KS and NE definitely have Rios opportunities on public land and NE for merriams. OK seems mostly private land to me. I would pick out some public land to start your hunt on and when the going gets slow, drive around until you find birds and knock on doors, permission to hunt is not that hard to come by in those parts.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

drenalinld wrote:KS and NE definitely have Rios opportunities on public land and NE for merriams. OK seems mostly private land to me. I would pick out some public land to start your hunt on and when the going gets slow, drive around until you find birds and knock on doors, permission to hunt is not that hard to come by in those parts.
I'm going to look at Kansas and Nebraska closely being I hunt both states normally, but Eastern side vs Western side. Haven't done the West, but at least I'm in the near vicinity. All depends on my time. I'll be retired in 2 years, and I'll be able to get er done a lot easier than.
ImageImageImage
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I met TS and Kaiser here last spring. We killed 8 Gobblers. We would have killed 9
but I missed twice or three times or something like that. I mean I didn't want to kill 3 I was happy with 2. 8-)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”