Crazy deer licensing in Iowa!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Ticeman

Crazy deer licensing in Iowa!

Post by Ticeman »

Check it out..went to Wally World this morning to buy my shotgun tag for this weekend's season 1 shotgun season (of course I will use my pistol, no sissy shotgun for this kid! 8-) ) and he asked me how many I wanted, uhh, what? If you are a resident, you buy one any sex tag for $28.50, you can buy as many doe tags as you want for $13 ea.!!! that's right, unlimited! This is a statewide law, you can shoot as many does as you want during this season, is this the same where you live? sounds pretty crazy if you ask me, but I bought three tags for $54, what a deal!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Crazy deer licensing in Iowa!

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

All across the nation there is a huge push to lower deer densities and the most effective method of this is through the killing of does.. A few years back our tag structure was much like yours, they issued 20000 for my county and they would not sell out till the tail end of the season.. I believe we had the highest deer density in the country or very close too.

Outside the lower deer densities and the perceived benefits: Less crop damage, car deer accidents etc another benefit is supposedly a more intense rut as bucks have to work harder to seek out receptive does and also overall herd health is supposed to improve with less stress on browse and less chance of disease transmission..

But on the other hand after 5 or so years of unlimited doe tags we are really feeling the effects.. 10 years ago I could sit and see 40-50 deer a sit, the numbers began a downward spiral until this year hitting rock bottom. Hunting the same properties with similar crop rotation etc I am lucky to see a deer once the gunfire began and the nocturnal nature began.. I believe our dnr wants a deer density of 36 deer per square mile.. I used to see 36 deer in one 40 acre field and night and lord knows what was in the other 600 acres..

I really wish the eradication had not taken place.. Sure was fun filling up the backs of trucks with does, but if I had to do it over again :violent1:
FuzzSawyer

Post by FuzzSawyer »

Missouri is unlimited in most areas. $19 for resident any deer, and $7 for as many antlerless you wanna buy. It tends to get a little out of hand.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Bama used to be a buck and a doe a day all season. Now I think its two bucks for the year, and a doe a day.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Ticeman wrote:Check it out..went to Wally World this morning to buy my shotgun tag for this weekend's season 1 shotgun season (of course I will use my pistol, no sissy shotgun for this kid! 8-) ) and he asked me how many I wanted, uhh, what? If you are a resident, you buy one any sex tag for $28.50, you can buy as many doe tags as you want for $13 ea.!!! that's right, unlimited! This is a statewide law, you can shoot as many does as you want during this season, is this the same where you live? sounds pretty crazy if you ask me, but I bought three tags for $54, what a deal!
It's broken up by county. The southernmost counties rarely sell enough to meet their quotas, though.

BTW, it's cheaper to buy your first doe tag in Missouri as a non-resident than it is to buy your first doe tag in Iowa as a resident. :lol:
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:
Ticeman wrote:Check it out..went to Wally World this morning to buy my shotgun tag for this weekend's season 1 shotgun season (of course I will use my pistol, no sissy shotgun for this kid! 8-) ) and he asked me how many I wanted, uhh, what? If you are a resident, you buy one any sex tag for $28.50, you can buy as many doe tags as you want for $13 ea.!!! that's right, unlimited! This is a statewide law, you can shoot as many does as you want during this season, is this the same where you live? sounds pretty crazy if you ask me, but I bought three tags for $54, what a deal!
It's broken up by county. The southernmost counties rarely sell enough to meet their quotas, though.

BTW, it's cheaper to buy your first doe tag in Missouri as a non-resident than it is to buy your first doe tag in Iowa as a resident. :lol:

And that's where I'm hunting stinky. :thumbup:
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

Nice...you huntin' down by Ottumwa?
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

Virginia is the same as far as doe tags. You get 6 bonus doe tags for $18..........all day long as many as you want to buy......you can only kill 2 a day though depending on your location.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Stinky J Picklestein wrote:Nice...you huntin' down by Ottumwa?
Nope, south of Lacona, north of Chariton.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: But on the other hand after 5 or so years of unlimited doe tags we are really feeling the effects.. 10 years ago I could sit and see 40-50 deer a sit, the numbers began a downward spiral until this year hitting rock bottom. Hunting the same properties with similar crop rotation etc I am lucky to see a deer once the gunfire began and the nocturnal nature began.. I believe our dnr wants a deer density of 36 deer per square mile.. I used to see 36 deer in one 40 acre field and night and lord knows what was in the other 600 acres..

I really wish the eradication had not taken place.. Sure was fun filling up the backs of trucks with does, but if I had to do it over again :violent1:
we can kill 8 does in my county.....and deer hunters are complaining now.

I am like???? sheesh guys...how did you eat 8 does last year? morons

more intense buck rut....yeah...chasing a doe 2 miles away since they have to travel farther away to get laid. idiots
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Va had doe bonus tags for a few years..back when the mountains were really good for successful hunts I might add. I am thinking you could buy them in pairs for $12.50 may have to dig that up. Anyway, population is declined severely now. I know of folks that killed enough deer to feed 5 families for the thrill of killing and I guess I will have to stay at odds with that. You can't get bonus tags now.
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I just bought 6 tags for $18 online today.
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

InNorth Carolina we get 4 doe tags and 2 buck tags with the purchase our licence. We have doe days and buck only days. This is suppose to help control over harvesting of does. Some areas have more days than others.
Mike
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

YellaJacket wrote:Va had doe bonus tags for a few years..back when the mountains were really good for successful hunts I might add. I am thinking you could buy them in pairs for $12.50 may have to dig that up. Anyway, population is declined severely now. I know of folks that killed enough deer to feed 5 families for the thrill of killing and I guess I will have to stay at odds with that. You can't get bonus tags now.

Jim you can get them, i just bought 6 tags for $18 online last week thats $ 3.00 a doe :thumbright:

brian
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING

Return to “Gobbler Talk”