How many have you missed

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
turkey_slayer

How many have you missed

Post by turkey_slayer »

And at what yardage. I seem to remember those more than the kills! I will say I'm in the double digits and all have been inside 30. Missed one last year at 4 steps that played peek a boo behind a large white oak :cry:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: How many have you missed

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Total no clue.. :lol: All I remember 9 one year but somehow managed to fill every tag.. Yardage nothing crazy (50 +)most were inside 30 but one I can remember I stretched the gun and that was completely my tunnel vision.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

4...all less than 20 yrds.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Total no clue.. :lol: All I remember 9 one year but somehow managed to fill every tag.. Yardage nothing crazy (50 +)most were inside 30 but one I can remember I stretched the gun and that was completely my tunnel vision.
9? You may be the best Turkey hunter and worst shot ever :P
HartClemson99

How many have you missed

Post by HartClemson99 »

I missed my first turkey back in 1996 and I'm pretty sure I have missed at least 2 every year since. Yep, I admit it. Missing 2 in a day is even harder. It's tough on an ego.

It's not my equipment's fault. Turkeys get me shaking so bad that I lose it. The use of an EOTech and a Timney trigger has lowered that number dramatically, but I have some very embarrassing misses witnessed by friends that will be told for years.

I have missed double royal slam with plenty of additional Easterns and Merriam's to add to the embarrasing total!
Beard Collecter

Post by Beard Collecter »

I have no idea how many, but I am sure that I am in double digits as well. I missed one when I was a teenager at 12 steps. My uncle still reminds me of that one, as he called the bird up for me. I was set up on a curve in a logging road and saw his head bobbing before he came around the bend. I never put my head down on the gun, just pointed it at him and pulled the trigger and shot the ground in front of him when a came around the curve. The ones that hurt the most are the ones you miss when you are hunting out of state. I will say that most of the ones I missed were before we had legit turkey guns and turkey shells, but I still find a way to miss them every once in a while even now.
pccutter

Post by pccutter »

I'm in double digits for sure, for the most part easy shoots 30yds & in, but a few out there aways. People who do not miss do not shoot at many.
Last edited by pccutter on January 31st, 2014, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

missed a couple of times but got that second shot, then I missed and I never got that second shot, it was a sad day in the woods...all were less than 10 yds.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

A BUNCH.
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

Well, I have actually only missed 3 that I can remember. The problem is, the worst one I missed I have on video so I get to relive it. Many of you have seen it, but for those that want to feel sorry for me.....Here you go. Enjoy at my expense.

trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

HartClemson99 wrote:I missed my first turkey back in 1996 and I'm pretty sure I have missed at least 2 every year since. Yep, I admit it. Missing 2 in a day is even harder. It's tough on an ego.

It's not my equipment's fault. Turkeys get me shaking so bad that I lose it. The use of an EOTech and a Timney trigger has lowered that number dramatically, but I have some very embarrassing misses witnessed by friends that will be told for years.

I have missed double royal slam with plenty of additional Easterns and Merriam's to add to the embarrasing total!
I am the friend referenced in the above post. It was funny in a sad kinda way. Felt bad for the ol boy. That said, I have missed a truckload myself. If you don't miss, you aren't shooting at enough.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

17 at the following ranges: 45, 35, 10, 42, 2, 44 ,3, 20, 5, 12, 40, 40, 10, //32, 72, 55, 43....I keep good records. The first half of that list up to the break represents lead before I had a solid 40 yd rig. After the break represents TSS (the first three shooting beads). The 72 yd miss was a pasture bird that had taunted me for 3 years. I finally got him to what I thought was 60 yds, and had solid 60 yd patterns with TSS 8s, but alas, after the shot I ranged where he was standing, and it was 72 yds. I have only missed one with TSS after adding a reflex sight. That bird was standing erect at 43 yds (swiss cheese range with TSS 9s), but put his head down at to take a bite of something right at the moment of truth, and the shot cloud sailed right where his head had just been.

It's funny though, there was a period of about four years between the lead misses and the TSS misses when I shot Rem HS 6s and Win XRHD 6s without a miss....hmmm.

Average kill distance and average miss distance are both 30 yds.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Over 37 seasons, I stopped counting. It used to make me miserable until I realized and accepted it as part of the game. If you've never missed, chances are you haven't killed many. Wounding and losing one is another story. It's been awhile, but I'll never get used to that.
Worst stretch was 4 missed in a season. Missed them for several reasons, but chief among the reasons was stupidity.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

All I know is I missed them in the 60's,70's,80's,90's,2000's,2010's, I think by the 2020's I should have it zeroed in and never miss again.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
gophert
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by gophert »

If you count misses as, moving or doing something stupid with a call when they get close, I would say those are as numerous as the days I've actually hunted.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

For years didn't miss hunting to fill 2 tags. Then started buying more tags, and now probably around 4-5 I have missed.
ImageImageImage
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Just last year, I missed one with the x-bow at 25yds, and flinched on a monster at 25yds with the 20. I missed one at 23yds the year before with Grizzly watchin,...lol.
Before that it is quite foggy.
I do know this,... I've lost and missed more turkeys with the 10ga years ago, than anything.
I've also batted a higher percentage when I used to shoot a 2 3/4" gun. Those were some nasty handloads though. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Shooter on January 30th, 2014, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Not counting a few shots at fleeing birds someone else had missed already I have missed only 3 that I can remember. Been hunting them since the mid 70's but haven't taken many questionable shots over the years and those 3 that I missed were pretty close and moved at just the wrong (or right for them) moment. Have hit 2 others that rolled over and still got up and escaped but I don't count those as a miss.
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

I missed one at about 8 steps several years ago. I learned a valuable lesson about patterning your gun that day.

Missed another 4 or so years ago when trying to shoot from my opposite shoulder. I probably should have never squeezed the trigger but it was do or die time.

Thats it for me...
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

I tend to forget some of the older ones. More recent ones stand out along with the first bird I shot at. I missed the first laying on my belly shooting through light brush at 20 yards. Three big gobblers drumming at the noise in the leaves. I don't remember seeing my sights?! Two years ago flying off at 25, 35, and 50 yards. Last year knocked one down at 40 - 45 yards that got up and got away. Thanks for bringing me down. Twenty year gap in there with a few misses well inside killing range.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I can only think of 4. Most of you have turkey hunted longer than I have so more chances to miss. The final miss was more of a misjudgment than a miss. It lead me to HTL and now TSS. The large increase in shooting I do now, I think, is what stopped the missing.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

A few. I can't remember them all but definitely remember the first. Thought he was 30 and he was 50. Wasn't many 50 yard guns back then and I sure didn't have one.

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
paboxcall

Post by paboxcall »

Two, both around 20 yards. But I've lost count of how many I've missed in the fall season. We get pretty serious about hunting the fall flocks and spend a lot of time at it.
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
jasonb53

Post by jasonb53 »

I have missed more than I care to remember.........all the guns fault of course
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

jasonb53 wrote:I have missed more than I care to remember.........all the guns fault of course
Yeah what this liar says.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Return to “Gobbler Talk”